February 21st, 2012

Black male teachers a rare breed

Kindergarten teacher Terris King says more black men need to step up and teach. CNN's George Howell has his story.

Posted by
Filed under: After High School • On air • Policy • Practice • Teachers • video
  1. Irish

I love this article and issue. Seeing an educated, black male as a strong leader and role-model for these students sends the message that 1) any person of any race can do a job just as proficiently, if not better, than any white male and it would encourage children of ethnicities to follow their dreams, and 2) it is not in the teacher's job description to just teach new subjects and concepts alone, but to be a mentor and motivator for these benevolent, young souls who probably never receive that love from their own families and homes as they should.

Also, I strongly believe that if you genuinely care about the future of these young children and want to make a positive, lasting impact on their lives in hopes that they'll travel down a successful path, then salaries and promotions should not be a factor in determining your profession as an educator. Or else, you're in the teaching world for all the wrong reasons.

February 27, 2012 at 12:01 am |
  2. BraveyCat

I think having more male teachers will have a wonderful impact on kids of all ages! Pray, tell, why must they be of African descent?

February 23, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • crazypete

The basic argument is that black children need more black male role models. It's pretty simple really. Sorta surprised you couldn't figure it out.

February 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
      • Duke5343

Maybe they should try and not have 10 kids from 4 different mothers- try sticking with one woman

February 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  3. Commenting Here

OMG! Those kids are so cute. Good to see that they have a great teacher🙂

February 22, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
  4. francis

Some harm done in the hood in the past has caused this.
    With a new spirit, even if this generation cannot get to class to teach, the next can be prepared. Still, a few men can push to the classroom, now.

February 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  5. mikrik13

That's because if you have ever been arrested for anything, you don't qualify to be a teacher.

February 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • tp2.com

mikrik13 you are an idiot for that comment. Many of my friends are black male teachers and I am as well. It is a shame that individuals like you exist. That was a blatant derogatory comment against black males. I am sure with a comment like that you have had thoughts that would classify you as a criminal or not the most just person in the world. I will pray for you and pray that God takes that spirit of racism out of your heart.

February 23, 2012 at 9:57 am |
  6. Kriss Greenn

To me it's sad to see and hear about the teachers out there (like you Heather Reeves) that get all this education to teach others, and they get next to nothing. Teachers are the ones that have to deal with 20-30 kids that have 50 million issues (some of which i feel are engrained by the parent(s)), still get their lessons across, and deal with "not my kid" kinda parents. But yet, they are being presured by the parents, admin, state, and fed's to push the kids to do better. I tip my hat to teachers casue there is no way I could deal with all that.

February 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  7. Heather Reeves

They say money shouldn't be a factor....but as a teacher in a low income school district, there is no way that I would be able to continue my profession if I didn't have my husband's income to support me. Student loans from going to college are ridiculous and I pay for my supplies out of pocket. Let's get with the reality! For someone with a masters, I make less than most people with a bachelors!!!

February 22, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  8. Soma

Its amazing...I was unemployed for two years and tried to get into teaching and did not get anywhere. I have a degree in Marketing 2007. I know that I would have to be certified ...that's not an issue. I would be a GREAT teacher..

February 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm |