February 23rd, 2012

Black male teachers becoming extinct

By Allen Huntspon and George Howell, CNN

Atlanta (CNN) – Take a moment and think of all the teachers you had between pre-K and twelfth grade.

Now, how many of them were black men?

For most people, this question won’t take too long to answer. That’s because less than two percent of America’s teachers are black men, according to the Department of Education.

That is less than 1 in 50 teachers.

Terris King, 25, a kindergarten teacher at the Bishop John T. Walker School in Washington D.C., believes that for African-American children, having a strong role model in front of them can make a huge difference.

FULL STORY
Posted by
Filed under: In America • Practice • Teachers • video
  1. Ivyleagueiq

Of course the Looney Communist Left has made it too easy for minorities to live off the state/fed gov't. Prequel to Socialist society?

March 7, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  2. Anonymous 2

Look at all the errors in grammar, some spelling, and capitalization in the postings. No wonder we're dead last in the industrialized world. So-called educated adults do not use proper language and writing skills taught to you in elementary school. Number one problem, above ALL others, is poor parenting!
    As a current teacher, when a 4-5 year old goes to school and does not already know the alphabet, how to count to at least 30, how to speak basic, correct grammatical phrases, they are already so far behind the students who come in with those skills. The PARENTS who do not read to their children, engage them in conversations using proper English, encourage them to do 'simple' math, and who do NOT get them away from the tv and computer games are to blame. What teacher takes a job (especially in poor, urban and rural areas) so that they can fail? Give teachers kids who are ready to learn and already have the basics when they first walk through the door (thanks to mom AND dad, if possible), and scores will improve (as well as behavior issues).

March 6, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
  3. xyz

There are few black male teachers because most of them are in jail or on the street corner selling crack.

March 6, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • Yusupha Auber

Alright Einstein

March 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
  4. Leila

Perhaps black men do not wish to forge ahead with careers in education. Is that a social problem? Black men want careers in business and business administration.

March 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  5. Daren

Yes and 19% of men in the US are Hispanic. The ratio of teachers is even less. It goes back to what are those families prioritizing in the home. Is it education or 9 to 5 jobs or video games.

March 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  6. d2cooldude@gmail.com

man, i have never paid any attention to this, yes i had no black males teachers from k-12. then i only had one black instructor when i was in collegel. never paid any attention to it

March 5, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  7. S.Springs

I disagree with the guest's comment discouraging people from becoming teachers for the simple reason that if we do not teach our kids who will? I do agree with some of what they about pay being low and that some children are brats, but the only way to break children out of that mindstate is to teach them right from wrong. Reading these comments about why one should not be a teacher broke my heart for several reasons, the main reason being that children are our future. People should be lined up at the door to teach the future of America. Where would you be right now if you did not have your elementary, middle or high school teachers? How can you expect one to be an engineer without going to school and learning the basics? It hurts me when I see people bashing the public system like that. I am proud to say that I am going to be a future leader of America. I know that the pay is not where it needs to be, but it does not matter to me. I am in it for the children; so that they may grow up and become something great. I love children, and I love watching them learn and grow and at the end of the day that is better than some $100,000 that leaves me unsatisfied at night

February 26, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  8. guest

I wouldn't want to be a teacher and wouldn't recommend anyone I know to be a teacher. Being around kids isn't always a picnic, they can be brats. It doesn't pay very well either for the stress involved. I think public education should have more classrooms with multiple teachers with assistants instead of just 1 teacher to 35 kids, and maybe install some cameras and do peer reviews like Bill Gates suggests. Cameras always seem to get better results. And really it isn't that important about having a certain race, just remember that our president was a teacher too. Be an engineer or something that pays, teaching public schools is not a good job.

February 25, 2012 at 5:27 am |
    • Anonymous

Here's a reasonable question. You say it frustrates you that people bash the public school system. Well, since you're so "passionate" about what you do, then I pose this question. How about you change the role that standardized testing has put on our education. How about you change congress and their ridiculous regulations on school funding, teacher expectations, etc. Or how about you change all these perverts that keep manipulating our children. How about you make those changes? I don't care if the teacher is black, white, latino, or asian. I want teachers to stop being held accountable for poor parenting, weak administrations, and ridiculous government expectations and interventions. I went to school to be a teacher, and I will tell you, teaching is the last thing I will ever do. Good for you, I'm glad you're in it for the kids. But it just being about the kids, and molding the future is no reason to stay in a profession.

March 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
      • Anonymous

The above statement was for S.Springs, oops! Haha, apparently I should have paid more attention in school.

March 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
      • jcs

You seem very frustrated and angry. Too angry to be part of any solution. There are problems in evey system. I am grateful for the committment and education my children are getting in the school they attend. I thank their teachers every chance I get. I am not a teacher, but am a successful educated professional making a contribution. I would not be where I am today, without the education provided to me by the public school system.

March 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  9. ryan

I think that there should be more african american teachers throut america!

February 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm |