May 10th, 2012

Hollywood stars show appreciation for their teachers

by John Martin, CNN

(CNN) - Actresses Cierra Ramirez, Scarlett Johansson and Eva Mendes recently talked to CNN about some of their favorite teachers. Ramirez said that she appreciates Ms. Sloat for helping Ramirez get through math. Scarlett Johansson said that her 6th grade teacher, Ms. Grossman, helped Johansson develop her conscience and her imagination. Eva Mendes shared a story about lunches with Ms. Prizowski. Mendes also thanked Prizowski for encouraging her.

Ramirez and Mendes star in the film "Girl in Progress", which opens Friday. Johansson received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on May 2 and is currently featured in "The Avengers" movie.

Posted by
Filed under: Practice • Teacher Appreciation • video • Voices
  1. educated

John, making things up that you will never need?? How did you learn English? How did you learn how to type? Could it have been from a teacher?

May 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  2. Seriously!?!?!?

Scarlett Johansson got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame? Man, I guess those stars don't mean what they used to. It seems like they are just giving them away nowadays...or buying them.

May 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  3. John

Teaching, the fine art of making up things to learn knowing full well you will never need it after..

May 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • basketcase

@John- The point of early education is not to teach you only the things that everyone needs to know to be a successful human being. The point is to give you a good, well rounded foundation from which you can learn more specialized material. The average person may not ever use most of high school math again, but if you decide as you finish high school that you want to become an engineer, you are going to need that background. Same goes for any other subject. That engineer won't have much use for English literature, but someone interested in a writing career will make good use of that background.

May 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Will

John,

As a middle school educator you are completely ignorant in your comments. Nothing more nothing less it is complete ignorance. Step in a classroom with young minds and you will see how we teach them to become life long learners.

May 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Larry Dorman

John,
      You speak for about 2% of the population that did not pay attention in the classroom.

May 11, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  4. Barry C.

Excellent comment Nick. I agree with you 100%. More power to your daughter brother. BC

May 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  5. Carl Peterson

So what....Americans show their respect for teachers everyday. Why are they called stars anyway. They're just "play people" pretending to be something they aren't. Their opinion isn't any better than other Americans!

May 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  6. mike

Lets see how long it will take for the right to start teacher the bashing comments..... What's so ironic is that most teachers that I know vote Republican.

May 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • mike

Democrat teacher here.

May 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
      • plumpy

why bring republicans into this. do u just care about the other side. what a loser you are.

May 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  7. nick garcia

As a father, who's daughter is getting her Masters this friday, I only hope she has the same influence as the teachers mentioned in this article have on her own students. She has received the "Teacher of
    excellence Award two years ago. . Education is a powerful tool to have. I tell my daughter to "TEACH WHAT YOU CAN, BUT SHARE WHAT YOU KNOW". You can never be too Rich, Good Looking and Too Smart.

May 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • mary

my dad also gave me great advice before I entered my first year of teaching. I was worried about not knowing how to teach 6th graders. I told him, "I can teach a kindergartner to read, but I have no idea how to begin with 6th graders!" He said, "Teach them how to study."

May 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm |