May 29th, 2012

Utah high school graduating class has 2 students

Austin Lewis and Trevor Timm have been friends since they were little kids, and this month, they graduated from Partoun, Utah's West Desert High School together - just the two of them. The school has one teacher-administrator and 10 students in grades seven through 12, CNN affiliate KSL reported.

"You learn a lot of life lessons," valedictorian Lewis said." Like a lot of times during lunch hour, we'd go get stuck in the mud. It's fun having the principal come pull us out with his tractor after school."

Posted by
Filed under: Graduation
  1. Petercha

Awesome. Small town living is where it's at. Everyone knows everyone, people look out for each other, very low crime rate, lots to do (hiking, camping, you name it).

May 30, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  2. hecep

Take a look at Trevor's cap. Since when did graduation caps come with elastic bands.

May 30, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  3. Alive and well in Texas

Good for them. I wish both well,

May 30, 2012 at 7:15 am |
  4. WhatThe...

Looked at another way ... those are the dumbest two kids in the graduating class too.

May 30, 2012 at 1:23 am |
  5. Joe

Life lesson #1: Mud spelled backward ain'tn't exactly the opposite of smart... but it's close!

Life lesson #2: Although I'm the Valedictorian and can spell my name right proper-like, gettin' stuck in the mud is quite a quandry that takes the principal to get me out.

May 30, 2012 at 1:06 am |
  6. Larry

I thought our class in96 of about 36 kids was small.

May 30, 2012 at 12:33 am |
  7. Teri

I went to a fairly small school – less than 40 in my graduating class, which was one of the bigger classes the school ever had. All but one in my class went to college and almost all went on some type of scholarship with many getting a full ride. I put my daughter in a small school, too. She has 20 kids in her class. No, neither my school nor hers have a lot of extracurricular activities to choose from, but that is likely one reason the kids all excelled in academics. Who needs track and tennis or chess or glee club? With small classes, you can't get away with anything. You can't skip and you can't sleep through it without the teacher knowing. The teachers knew when we skipped class, but most overlooked it as long as you kept your grades up. We had a lot of freedom to come and go as long as we were responsible with it. Most kids these days don't get that opportunity – the opportunity to, well, go out and get stuck in the mud or skip class to go shop for your prom dress or skip class and go fishing. As long as you maintained an "A" or "B" in all of your classes, handed in your assignments on time, and didn't miss any tests, nobody really said anything about it.

May 29, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  8. lily52245

I had 7 people in my high school graduating class in rural Washington State. We all went on to some type of secondary education. I now have a Ph.D. and a law degree (both from respectable schools) and comfortably make six figures. I moved my family outside the university town to a small rural school because I think it will expose my children to things they wouldn't see if they only surrounded themselves with their true peers, i.e. upper middle class, highly educated parents. I wouldn't worry too much about the future of the country based on graduates from small rural schools.

May 29, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
  9. keef

it's not the students fault parents/adults think it's acceptable to go to school with 9 other people.

May 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  10. Solo

Actually, colleges do get the complete data on a high school if you are claiming a specific ranking – especially when applying to a more elite school.

May 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  11. kre

Most people would not ask how many are you in class. It is good on your resume that states, "Valedictorian" or "Salutatorian" when you apply for the state university or a good job =). And even if they're only two in class, it possible they got high SAT scores.

May 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  12. mrd

Did class move outside between lunch and the end of the day until the principal was available to pull them out of the mud?

May 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Jackson

It says "During lunch hour" when I assume they were allowed to leave campus to eat.

May 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
      • Natch

It's a school with a total of TEN STUDENTS. I'm not sure just how much of a "campus" they might have, but I'm sure they're probably able to be a little more lax with the rules.

May 30, 2012 at 7:23 am |
  13. Sick

"You learn a lot of life lessons," valedictorian Lewis said.

Oh God, America's future is doomed.

May 29, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  14. beernpizzalover

On the plus side, I'm sure it simplifies deciding who to take to prom...

May 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  15. Romulan

On the bright side, one is valedictorian and the other is salutatorian.

May 29, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Teri

Wouldn't you hate to be known as the "dumb" one?

May 29, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
  16. Bill

Probably is in that part of Utah.

May 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  17. Daddy2010

Stuck in the mud is a life lesson?

May 29, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • 31337

learning how to avoid the mud is sometimes harder then getting out of the mud so being stuck in the mud is a life lesson.

May 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm |