June 1st, 2012

Religion taken out of school ceremony

A 100-year-old high school graduation tradition is being changed because the valedictorian is an atheist. KABB reports.

Posted by
Filed under: Graduation • Policy • video
  1. Jordan

I think that it is good, because even though it is an honored tradition, not everyone believes in a God and might be offended. My family is Christian, but I myself am an agnostic thesist, meaning I don't believe in a supernatural diety unless I have proof. I couldn't care less about it, but others might.

June 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  2. Lauren

I can understand why he wants to do this considering church history. The only problem is that he is taking it too far. Having two different words on a piece of paper will not be the end of the world. It does signify that the church does have some power, but the church is not using that power in a bad way. Why stop it if it is not bad?

June 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  3. Josh

I dont get why everyone is making a big deal out of this. If he doesnt want to say it than who cares its what he believes in. The people who have a problem with it need to realize that not everybody believes in god and they should respect the persons freedom even if they dont believe it.

June 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
  4. Spectator

I assume it was a public school?? If so then they should have revised their ceremony. However the article? didn't give any details. And why make it seem like it was because he was an athiest? That can be misleading.

June 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  5. Yournamehere

The school should have stopped this religion practice long ago. Not everybody believes in Christianity.

June 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  6. aurifexthyrius

About time. Far too many people have blurred the separation of church and state. Glad to see some of our youths understand the need for separation.

June 4, 2012 at 4:14 am |
  7. optikradio

Good. 100 years too late.

June 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm |