June 5th, 2012

Wisconsin recall vote divides some teachers

Teachers are watching closely as Wisconsin voters head to the polls today in the recall duel between Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican, and his Democratic opponent, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.

Thousands of teachers protested last year when Walker proposed cuts to education funding and union's collective bargaining rights; some schools were shut down as large numbers of teachers took time off. But some educators think Walker's plans are smart long-term solutions for the state and education.

What's at stake in Wisconsin?

Posted by
Filed under: Issues • Politics
  1. Karl

Isn't what matters the supply-and-demand for teachers? In my job, I'm paid the price that's needed to get either me or somebody else of sufficient skill to fill the position. You expect teachers to be good, then pay just what's needed to fill the positions at the needed quality. That's how all non-union jobs work. Why does nobody discuss the free market method of determining wages?

June 6, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
  2. TeamChaos

SORE LOSERS LOL OBAMA IS NEXT GET USE TO IT!

June 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Wisconsion the New Looser State

Cut education , fire and police and get sub standard results.

You deserve this WIsconsion as your a bunch of whining loosers who are jealous of fireman and police but are probably to inapt as fat and lazy or scared to put it on the line to save others. You whine and cry instead that they make some perqs. I say give them perqs as they are deservent.

When all your talent leaves the state that you created the problem.

June 6, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
      • E0F0G0

Your ungrammatical and poorly spelled response tells me that your education has been substandard for some time. Big money does not buy great education.

June 7, 2012 at 8:13 am |
  3. TeamChaos

3/4 of public school teachers send their kids to private school, because public school teachers do not educate students. And why should a teacher be able to afford private school for their own kids when most people can not. Teachers work less than about any full time profession and make more money, free benefits awesome retirement that is paid for 100%

June 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • Chaos?

Right, I'm married to a teacher. She works much harder than I do and puts in basically 12 hour days during the week, Not to mention weekends. Teachers work very hard and are paid very little for their trouble. On top of that many parents now blame teachers for their students getting bad grades as if its the teachers fault their son/daughter has skipped the last 3 exams. Get your facts straight 'team chaos'.

June 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
      • Orange County Reb

Time to look for a new job then, if the hours are more then you can handle

June 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
      • obamaliar

my foot they work for little pay. My brother and sister are teachers. 3months off in summer. every federal holiday off 6 teachers days each semester, 5-7 days for thanksgiving, 2 weeks for christmas, 9 days for easter or spring break. they make 40-60 thousand. Don't cry here. I'm liable to slap your face and kick your a$ $.

June 6, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • analogkid

@teamchaos, Just a few points of clarity

1. I am pretty sure that 3/4 of teachers do not send their kids to private schools. The number is closer to 20%.
      2. On average, teachers make what most college educated professionals make.
      3. Benefits are not free and neither is retirement. In my locality teachers pay anywhere from 15% to 40% of their health insurance costs and soon to be 14% of their retirement with a match from the state. This varies around the country but they are not free.

June 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
      • obamaliar

your locality is where??? In trumpka's private school?????

June 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
      • analogkid

@obamaliar
        If you really are curious, I am speaking about Ohio, in general.

June 7, 2012 at 8:18 am |
    • LindaMakesMusic

Team Chaos, I am a teacher and ALL the teachers at our school bring their children to be educated at our school. We teach the kids from the lowest income level and highest crime area in our county. We have very little parent involvement but our students have passed state assessments for the last 9 years. I used to work in the business industry and made twice the income I do now. My hours are longer now than they have ever been. I teach because I love the children and want to make a difference. I would love for you to come work a week with us at school and really learn what it is all about.

June 6, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • Kit

June 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  4. backspace

People, come together and support the recall. Politicians (to include governers) are using tax payers money to fund projects that aren't necessary at the expense of union members. Walker, like all Republicians think of how they are to fatten their lives and wallet fitst. If any is left over, then they may consider the next. The reason the US is so corrupt is because of the Republicans, big coperations, and banks.

June 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  5. lynno

JOE, how do you define "going well?" I don't think the unions are terrified, but I would like to see your "research." In a union? Tired of having your money sucked away? Who would fight for you if you were treated unfairly? Who negotiated the salaries and benefits that many middle class Americans enjoy and benefit from? What if the police and firefighters were not unionized and you had to depend on your obese neighbor ( who would be a "volunteer") to haul you out of a burning house?
    Private sector employees can negotiate their wages based on how well they can sell themselves. They can also negotiate promotions and pay raises. I know, I've done it. Why should public employees not have that right?
    We all make choices where we work and what we choose for a career. Don't blame these people because they made a better choice than some of us. Shame on us.

June 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Would You Look At That

Lynn, your response to Joe is extreme, at best.... As far as making career choices and being able to negotiate salaries and benefits... Their salaries and benefits are coming at the expense of those who pay taxes... It is up to the people whether or not they deserve pay raises and lucrative benefits...

June 6, 2012 at 8:58 am |
      • Havildar

By your Logic than every single CEO should only be paid what they are worth according to the people who they SERVE. This would also go to the crooked Congress which loots the taxpayer with high pay,"gold Health Care (Paid by Taxpayers) Pensions and benefits for themselves and their families. All this is billed to the IDIOT taxpayer that casts their vote for these louses.

June 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • obamaliar

stop it you're making me cry. Unions protect the worst in the workforce and get them paid the same as the excellent worker. I've been in 2 paperworkers unions and I know. You my man are full of schnitt

June 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Jenn Blank

We need to get real. Those benefits worked out in collective bargaining are great, but we cannot afford them. Pay teachers more, get rid of the pensions and let individuals invest for themselves.

This gives teachers better pay and complete control over their money and at the same time effectively deals with state and local budget problems.

Maybe the teachers were promised all those benefits, but its time to face facts; the money simply is not there,

Something proactive needs to be done in order to keep our schools functioning.

By the way, I'm a teacher myself.

June 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • Havildar

If the money is not there how come "Millions of Dollars" was wasted by those who skip paying their fair share of Taxes But have Billions of Taxpayer granted money to waste.in this recall???

June 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  7. JOE

From my research, things are going well in Wisconsin. Since Walker took over of course. The unions are terrified they can't suck dues from working people. LOL REALLY LOUD TOO.

June 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
  8. cecexo

Eat all pie now and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Support the recall on EatPieNow.gov