My View: The moral imperative for education policy
In 2000, Jesse Jackson organized this march in Chicago in part to address school funding issues.
June 12th, 2012

My View: The moral imperative for education policy

Courtesy Rainbow PUSH CoalitionBy Jesse Jackson Sr., Special to CNN

Editor’s note: Reverend Jesse L. Jackson Sr. is a leading civil rights activist and president and founder of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition.

(CNN) - It has been two years since the administration’s Race to the Top education competition was implemented, and scholars, advocates, practitioners and journalists are asking whether the program has been effective. From my perspective, this is the wrong question. We must instead determine whether a contest that provides support to some but not others is sufficient for addressing the structural inequities that make separate and unequal education a persistent fact of life in America today.

Race to the Top and other competitive grant programs are essentially designed to help those who can run, but our nation must be committed to lift from the bottom in order to provide equal, high-quality education for all children everywhere. Our present education policy does not meet this moral imperative.

Heralded as an innovative method for incentivizing states to adopt higher academic standards, “turn around” low performing schools, improve student and teacher evaluations, and recruit and train more effective teachers and principals, the Race to the Top contest is an inherently political response to the widely recognized need for education reform. It pretends to offer a solution for all when it provides only a band-aid for some.

Education policy based on the moral imperative of lifting from the bottom would address the systemic funding disparities that continue to plague schools in high-poverty neighborhoods. A legacy of the 1973 San Antonio Independent School District vs. Rodriguez Supreme Court decision, is that we continue to allow our public schools to be primarily financed through local property taxes. This is morally unacceptable, because property taxes are a function of the relative wealth of the surrounding neighborhood.

The result is education redlining and an uneven playing field with a different set of rules for poor kids attending schools in poor neighborhoods. Already starting from behind due to structural inequalities, poor kids attending disadvantaged schools are also penalized through the “turn around” policies of No Child Left Behind and the administration’s Blueprint for Reform that include mass firings of school personnel and disruptive school closures that are often executed without input from parents or the community.

And, new data from the Department of Education shows that poor minority students are disproportionately subjected to harsher disciplinary procedures that can have the effect of pushing them out of school before graduation. We must also respond to the crisis in out-of-school suspensions and the resulting community and school violence. We can’t keep closing schools and feeding our children into the prison-industrial complex, building jails, and expect our country to be respected by other nations.

We must argue the moral imperative and build a new framework for public education in America. Our education policy must guarantee access to early childhood education opportunities to offset the effects of household poverty on student achievement and remove barriers that deny poor kids access to high quality and highly effective teachers. A new study by the National Institute for Early Childhood Education shows that funding for public early childhood education programs is steadily declining even as enrollment has grown dramatically, almost doubling the percent of the population served in the past decade.And our current and proposed policies contain disincentives that keep good teachers away from students who need them most.

Many prominent advocates for education reform may believe that their efforts to link teacher evaluations to student test scores, close low-performing schools, conduct mass teacher and principal firings, and increase access to charter schools are in the best interest of poor children. But the problem is that many of these reforms are not based on best practices rooted in research evidence. Education policy that starts with the moral imperative would not allow poor and minority students to be used as guinea pigs for untested educational theories and practices.

For the sake of our country, we should all agree that there should be a common foundation beneath which no child falls. Yet, too often we’ve given up on the moral imperative for the politically expedient alternative when it comes to our nation’s education policies. To do what’s best for our nation and our children we must embrace a principle that's higher than politics. We should ensure that education policy starts with morality.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jesse Jackson Sr.

Posted by
Filed under: Issues • Policy • Race to the Top • Voices
  1. rtw

What is needed is cultural reform within the African American community. School woes are a symptom of cultural failure within that community, not its cause.

June 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  2. tomthall

Funny...not one mention of a parent getting involved in their childs education. Once again it is the fault of those who pay property taxes getting more for what they work for. Why shouldn't we? I pay $2500 a year in property taxes to fund my childrens education but also education to children whose parents pay zero in property taxes. Why should people who actually work and pay taxes get equal education compared to those that don't? Don't like your school system move to a city that offers better education but unfortunately many of those complaining that thier children have poor education didn't finish high school themselves because they were working on having their 8 children as soon as they turned 15. I am sick of people trying to make me feel guilty because I finished high school, went to college and bought a house in an area with good schools. I also spend an hour or more every evening reading with my children and helping them with homework. Try putting that in an article Mr. Jackson and see what kind of response you get from your favorite followers.

June 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  3. Timothy C

I'm not a big fan of Jackson but this is well said. It is utterly immoral that public schools are funded from local property taxes and not on a per-headcount basis. As Jackson rightly argues, if you happen to have the misfortune of living in poor neighborhood, it's certain that your local school will be underfunded and in ill-repair because there isn't sufficient property tax revenue to support it. On the other hand, this relative abundance of money in high-income neighborhoods makes public education in such communities very effective, so inhabitants of those areas don't get a firsthand taste of how bad many schools in poor areas really are.

The obvious solution would be to fund everyone on a per-headcount basis. Then, it would be much clearer that funding for education is too low to meet the high standards that wealthier communities demand, and then we'd begin to see political pressure to increase education funding overall.

June 12, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • ppedo

Lots of kids have come from poor environments attended subpar schools and done well in life. Their parents are involved in their education.

June 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • tomthall

Of course that is the only fair way right? How much more do we have to give for "poor" people to get a fair chance? Affirmative action has been going on for how many years and has it made one bit of difference? Why should I work my butt off getting good grades, getting a good job and buying a house in a nice area with good schools only so my tax money can go to the schools where students don't want to do better? I went to a rural school that ranked towards the bottom in education in my state but I read, studied, and decided to better myself on my own. I didn't depend on handouts from the haves to the have nots and I don't understand why people will think that throwing money at a poor performing school will make any difference at all. It is up to the parents and students to want to do better and if people don't know that then we are in a world of hurt.

June 12, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
    • Rick L.

Ok so we take it your way, no system is above the lowest common denominator. While we are at it lets require Harvard, Yale, etal to accept all that apply. Too many apply then go to a lottery, better yet a national lottery.

I for one am tired of being wrong for working hard and being successful. Its becoming like a third world country, unless you are like Jackson and shake down corporations otherwise he will raise a ruckus. Greed behind a smile.

June 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • KCArrowhead

TimothyC
      Bull. I spent all my secondary schooling in a poor urban school district. It wasn't the lack of funding, bells and whistles, or anything money can buy that made it a horrible educational experience. It was the student body. Educational apathy, violence, celebrating ignorace – these were the hallmarks of my school.

I succeeded, not because I am white, but because my parents were involved. C's were not acceptable. B's were not acceptable if I was capable of A's. I was read to, and was expected to read. I worked my rear off to get a college education and a well paying job.

I now live in a high performing school district, one of the best in my state. Guess what? Parents are very much involved with their kid's education. I (and a large number of others) take time off from work to attend in-school and after-school activities. On occasion, I eat lunch with my kids in the cafeteria. I spend more time educating my kids (structured and unstructured) than I do going out with friends. But then my kids are much more than a tax deduction (or welfare credit.)

June 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
      • sda0728

Great story KC....need another million like you.....

June 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  4. Cali Grandma

WHAT???
    I don't know where you come from, but that racist statement does not compute in relationship to the black people I know. On the flip side, I have seen a lot of white people with low IQ's as well...I think low and high IQ's are in every race...and probably have more to do with the kind of parents they had...not the color of their skin...
    HOW OLD ARE YOU? Your comment is ugly.

June 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • j williamson

Sorry Grandma Cali, but every study that the US of A has done since the 1960's bears out the IQ gap between blacks and whites. This is no racist rant, dear, and I have no axe to grind, but when folks point out the facts they shouldn't be called "ugly" and it shouldn't be implied that they are akin to the KKK. (These IQ tests also took into account "cultural differences" – before anyone else chimes in – and yes, there are very smart blacks and dumb whites – we're talking "average" here). It's up to all to fully decide why there is such a gap – my own personal feeling is that blacks need to under-go a huge cultural shift which places emphasis on things such as self-responsibility and dedicated scholastic work. The "gansta" culture (with all its negative influences on the younger kids coming up) needs to be completely dis-avowed by the ENTIRE community of color. I'd love to see the gap close – in the meantime everyone needs to face the fact that there is an intelligence gap between the races – otherwise it will forever remain.

June 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Irategrandmother

Sorry Cali Grandma. We started busing in Charlotte, NC, in 1970 because it was determined blacks were not getting the education white children were getting so the answer was to bus white kids out and black kids in. Forty years later, blacks still score lower than whites. What's even worse, the white scores are dropping and the blacks STILL can't do better.

June 12, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
  5. mslisac363

we need to build both... but if you want to learn you're going to learn no matter where you attend school

June 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  6. Michael

In Kansas City, our superintendent sya our kids are ready for college with 34% going to college and 24% of the number going back for their second year. Why keep giving money to a district who is not educating our youth. Giving more money will not help these students. What will help is educating the parents on how and what to expect from schools.

June 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  7. Duane - St. Pete FLA

well Jesse, before you complain about all you are complaining about you had better ask black mom's (cause very few have dads that have hung around) why THEY don't set the bar higher for thier childern.....why they don't get involved in thier kids school? I have been active with our local high schools and it's like pulling teeth to get ANY black parents to get involved with the school there kids attend. Jesse has done a sorry job as far as being a black "leader". No commits from him when blacks beat whites or for that matter when blacks are killing blacks in record numbers.....he only feels comfortable calling out whites. What a joke he is.........him and Al Sharpton

June 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • John

You are so right. They always point blame away from themselves.

June 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Cherry

@ Duane – As a African-American woman, who divorced – (by my choice), the parent of a 12 year old – I want you to know that I'm VERY active in my child's education and his learning! I set the bar for my child by returning to school to get my MASTER'S Degree!! However, I must confess that I DO NOT attend or get involved in the SCHOOLS ACTIVITIES – because I'd rather be home with my son teaching him what THE SCHOOLS are failing to do. If YOU SPEND SO MUCH TIME AT the HIGH SCHOOLS – THEN YOU SHOULD VERY WELL KNOW OR TRYING TO LEARN the difference between 'thier (s/b their) and "commits" opposed to comments. U R DUMB!!

June 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
      • KCArrowhead

Cherry,

Good for you! I mean that sincerely. But you are the exception rather than the rule. Stereotypes are unfair, but they are often based on common occurrences. Unfortunately, a large percentage of black parents (especially single ones) have little envolvement in their children's education.

Jesse Jackson would do better to address the real problems affecting the poor performance of urban schools.

June 12, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  8. amespdx

Jesse Jackson, Obama, Eric Holder, etc. are not doing the race baiting or fear mongering. They are merely illuminating the ugly racism and hatred that is apparently already there. You can conveniently blame them. But the ignorance, fear and hatred stems from you.

June 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • ppedo

That's why they are so active in persueing the Black Panthers for their videotaped harrasment of white voters!!!!

June 12, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  9. ladyfon

No Rev JJ, you are wrong. You can throw all the money in the world at a poor performing school, but the children who are failing normally have parents that do not know how to parent. Parenting is the problem in just about every problem this country faces.

June 12, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • ppedo

Amen. The only "moral imperative" is to be personally responsible for your own actions. Responsible parents by and large have children who achieve regardless of the school.

June 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Matt

The great race baiter will never cite poor parenting as the main problem, when in fact it is. Everything starts with good parenting, not bad parenting, not transference parenting (to the schools) or apathy. That builds the foundation for successful schools. Does that in of itself solve the problem of under-performing schools in poor neighborhoods? No. But again it's a start and a prerequisite to the goals Mr. Jackson lays out. It's unfortunate that "leaders" such as him cannot take any accountability for this. It's always somebody else's fault, somebody else's shortcomings that are the problem. With that way of thinking you will see no progress.

June 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  10. New Gawker

I have to commend jesse for taking the time to write this article. It must be difficult with him splitting his time between extorting corporations and running around the country pulling out his race card.

June 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Matt

Amen to that!

June 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  11. amespdx

As someone who works in public schools, I am relieved to read JJ's article. Current public policy on education, the race to the top in particular, is a hazard to equal opportunities for education. I work in a variety of schools from the middle class to inner city poor schools and, even in the best of districts, there is a disparity in the quality of education. In my own neighborhood, the high school is a consistent "failed" school with constant teacher firings and reorganization efforts. Good teachers are afraid to go there and "good students," flee the area for charter and private schools. There is never an opportunity for the neighborhood to repair itself.

JJ's editorial concerns the problem of social class in relation to "poor kids." The comments relating to minority students and discipline relates to a data-driven study by the Department of Education and can be found posted in most public school message boards. His argument is not simply a personal accusation, but speaks to a problem inherent in our education system, Frankly, the only racism or reference to race I see is only evident in the comments from the posters on this board– a fact I find to be frightening.

Quote from Jake: "Because there was no discipline among the black students." I can tell you from the trenches that lack of discipline does not fall along either racial or class divides!

June 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • woodysr

Somehow I suspect your solution is "throw more money at the problem" From what I see, more money and nicer, brighter schoolrooms will not solve the problem. For many if not most, black teens it is apathy towards education and the dread of being called out for "acting white"!

June 12, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
  12. Peter Grenader

Funny... I think the very same thing about Karl Rove.

June 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  13. TPF

There is no reason to build more schools, they are all in jail. And when they were in school they could not be taught, and they did not want to learn. Remember you can't fix stupid!!!!!!!!!!

June 12, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  14. Generic Name

Giving all children a good education is an absolute necessity if we want to see educated adults and not more idiots of whatever stripe.

Mr. Jackson, you should be attacking the roots of the problem: corruption in our government at every level.

Until you address that and get that fixed, you can talk until you are blue in the face and it won't mean a thing.

June 12, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  15. TPF

Real intelligent Blacks do not follow or listen to this Racist. They are way too smart to waste their time on him.
    He has mooched and blackmailed so many companies in this Country he should be investigated along with his so called
    Rainbow Coalition. No one will do it because he will yell that the only reason they are doing it is because he's black.
    His color has nothing to do with it he is also an Adulterer.

June 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  16. Reality

You forgot racist pig, bigot, and hate monger.

June 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  17. Me

And, uhhh, that truth would be?

June 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • runner305

You won't find truth from these bigots here. What you WILL find is empty accusations that emanate from racist fools.

June 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  18. runner305

If your "apology" was directed towards me, ... I am not black, by the way. Also, silence is better than a meaningless, sarcastic apology.

June 12, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  19. TPF

I don't read or listen to anything this hypocrite has to say. He should be in jail.

June 12, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  20. edeveryday

Education of the black community starts in the home with the parents. All the money in the world will not educate blacks if they can't get discipline back into their own lives. It's time for blacks to quit all the rap, hip hop, street thug B.S. and get their acts together. They are long overdue to start behaving themselves like normal members of society. Quit all the flashmobbing B.S. and all the rioting B.S. Don't look to the Government for handouts and quit blaming the Government for your failure in the education department. And tell the race-baiting pimps like Jesse Jackson and big Al to go home and stay home.

June 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  21. James

If a kid doesn't want to learn he isn't going to...Enough of waisting all this money on punks...Their parents don't care, they have no drive to better themselves...its give me give me give me...I'm sick of giving to people that the most important things in their lives are dancing, sports, and drugs...I say, if you don't want to finish school fine...but you will not walk around the streets, you will belong to the state until you are 18, and you will help the community...Enough of giving to people that destroy their neighborhoods...Jessie Jackson is a tratior to his own people...Now lets start giving money back to kids that try in school, and lets pay for their college education...but the loosers and just loose...

June 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • ricco47

yeah Argh..so you can use spell check now, good for you .. should help you when writing you next rap song,.. glad you learned something here.

June 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • ppedo

Anal retentive. Can't find a problem with the thought, so attack the spelling.

June 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  22. Sharkfisher

Jesse Jackson= communist racist.

June 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • runner305

Sharkfisher = immature, uninformed blogger

June 12, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Peter Grenader

The guys that write the scripts for the GOP must love guys like you, Shark. They float in these bombs... First the Dems were socialists, but their approval ratings remained intolerable. What to do, what to do? Ah... rekindle the McCarthy flames and up them to COMMUNIST and do it before a national election then wait for guys like you t put it into their daily mantras. Plant the seeds and let their foot soldiers do all the work.

When will you guys realize that the party you are supporting does this because they can't stand on the policies alone? That after the beating they've taken over women's rights, stalling budgetary talks and job creation bills for political means they felt needed to do this to keep some positive forward momentum. YOU'RE PUTTING YOUR TRUST IN A PACK OF LIARS

June 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  23. j-o-h-n

I sincerely doubt equitable funding is the answer. In Iowa all schools get essentially the same per-pupil funding, yet minority students consistently under-perform. They under-perform in 'poor districts' and in 'wealthy districts'. They under-perform in districts with low overall academic success and in those with high overall academic success. The answer lies elsewhere (in my opinion, it lies with families that don't highly value education).

June 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  24. O.T.

I don't know what he's talking about–he's kinda all over the place–but it sounds like he wants to get a lot of money out of the wallets and purses of American taxpayers, for a whole lot of nothing.

June 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Coachfur

IF I read this correctly, IT APPEARS that the Rev jackson WANTS THE GOVERNMENT TO FUND EDUCATION! As he said local inner-city schools do not have enough property tax money to build and pay for new/better schools. THIS WOULD BE THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN!!!!!!! Why? Because THEN the government
      CONTROLS THE CURRICULUM! As it stands now, the government has a piece of Wall Street, The Baking Industry,
      The Auto Industry...that last bastions of Freedom are RELIGION and EDUCATION! If...a schools wants money the government could say you MUST TEACH anything they want...i.e. Muslim History, Eskimo History, Why Socialsim the the Best Form of Government...anything they want in trade for funding! LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICTS SHOULD CONTROL THE CURRICULUM!

June 12, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  25. Elbow Macaroni

You can't fix stupid. When you don't want to learn you can't blame the rest of the world. Look at the seond kid in the picture he is carrying his protest sign upside down. People need to stop blameing the rest of the world. A great movie quote stupid is stupid dose. Unequal education? you have to want to learn.

June 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  26. um

Is it just me or is it sort of funny that there are two of these pro-education protesters holding their signs upside down or sideways?

June 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  27. Cindy

What about all the whites on foodstamps, welfare, etc. Don't you think their kids look at them doing nothing and decide to be like their parents, too? There are more whites on social welfare roles than blacks.

June 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  28. Willy Brown

Jesse is a race pimp

June 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  29. Save the Children

This is all about the children. If we, as a society, cannot improve our society as a whole by improving the minds of our childrent, we are a failure. It doesn't matter if that child is black, white, brown, yellow, red, purple or any other color because we are talking about their minds and all brains are basically the same color. Children have to learn to think, they have to feel self worth, they have to see themselves as productive adults, they have to feel somebody cares to succeed. Our society has to make sure every child is provided these basic needs when parents fail them. If not, we, as a society, have failed by allowing ignorance, jealousy, hatred and greed overcome what is needed to do right.

June 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • joe

Shall we take all children from the parents and have the state raise them?

June 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • D Cox

I have been witness to this first hand. It doesn't matter what education you make available when the parents and the environment is c**p. The children (sad as it is) are going to end up at the bottom because first the NAACP says that the schools should be teaching the children, but the children have disipline problems that the parents don't care about. But, if the school go back to corporal punishment then the NAACP says that isn't the school job, it's the parents. I love Jesse, he always fires catch 22 issues at you the have the blacks blaming the whites for all of the woes.

June 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • B.True

What an intelligent and loving answer. Moral too!

June 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • florida dude

Your email reads like all the wonderful things a liberal thinker has to say. We HAVE TO.... fill in the blanks. Problem sir, or maam, is that the solution is not what we have to do, it is what THEY have to do. Since the beginning of the Great Society and the beginning of equal rights (I know we're not there yet, but we're closer) there has been a lot of what WE have done to help THEM. Yet in spite of all that help (money, affifmative actions, programs out the gazoo, etc) THEY are not helping themselves enough. THEY have more unwed mothers, more criminals, more disdain for education, etc. since the beginning of the Great Society. What is done for them is NOT WORKING. The moral imperative here Reverend Jackson, is for you and the other leaders to preach to them, not to us. " Get a HS degree, or more if you can. Get a job. Get married and have kids." In that order.

June 12, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  30. reader10

Here we go again ame song.It is somebody's fault.Nothing is good enough.There are countries where childeren have to walk miles to attend school.

June 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  31. MJSouth

The article infers that achievment is based on spending per pupil. However, systems like DC spend more than any of the surrounding jurisdicitons and are not based on property taxes. The schools however are still very low in performance. What is the answer?

June 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Inquiring minds want to know

Data please?

June 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  32. cookie19

It really takes 3 factors for a student to acheive- the teacher, the parent, and the community. Once a child has the positive support of all that- there is no way they can fail. They may fall afew times, but we cannot throw them away the first time. Three strikes and you're out-but you must have the same umpire all three calls.

June 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  33. Jim Weix

Nothing will change, until more blacks in America reject the ghetto life style. Blacks must tell other blacks that crime, welfare, ghetto talk and ghetto behavior is wrong and is destroying blacks. It is not cool to be from the hood. It is a disgrace.

June 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • Mario

I am black and i absolutely agree with you sir. We have to tell each other that crime is not cool, staying in the hood forever isn't cool and tatooing up your body isn't cool. We have to clean up our image, just like individuals have to in order to get the job they want and the lifestyle they want to acquire and that is only through hard work!

June 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Okie from Muskogee

Truth – we're neighbors – Welcome to da hood – LOL

June 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
  34. Mike

The numerous racist comments following the article are a sure indication that Jessie Jackson is still needed!

June 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
    • Jim Weix

Jesse Jackson needs to promote personal responsibility among blacks. It is not whites keeping blacks down; it is blacks keeping blacks down. Those blacks that do try to change their lives are often put down by other blacks. That is wrong.

June 12, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
      • Cindy

There has to be a social thrust to break the cycle. We are the American society and everybody is responsible.

June 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • ME

I'm a 58 year old white woman and I agree. I am sadly disappointed at the number of people who so proudly display their ignorance in these comments. But as the saying goes...If people are trying to bring you DOWN,it only means that you're above them.

June 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • Inquiring minds want to know

So, what do you suggest? I want the whole truth and nothing but it!

June 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • EG3

Wow are we still in the 30's, 40's and 50's with all the "Black People" comments. How about this, there is more crime and Drugs in the Suburbs where all the White KIds are... So when I see the comments below I laugh I lived in the city and when my Black Parents moved out to the Burbs I saw more crime and skipping of school then any black kids I hung out with. Lets stop pointing the finger at race and start educating every kid out there. Because Bush was President and we all know he was a D student with white skin...

June 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
      • florida dude

When you moved to the burbs I bet it was in the 60's or earlier. During that time there wasn't so much black crime. True. But since our nation has tried to do everything FOR the blacks, they are doing less for themselves. Go to black neighborhoods now and see if you can say that they have less crime – petty or big – than does the "white" suburbs. Go to Watts, go to south Chicago, go to inner city St. Louis, or Oakland, or anywhere in Detroit city limits, go to.....awww shucks. Those who want to can lift themself up. Those who don't can't be lifted.

June 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • stereoman

I agree. The facist-racist responses are sure indication of the fact that racism is alive and well in USA.

June 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • Reality

Still needed for what Mike? Race bating and hate mongering? By your reasoning the KKK is still needed too.

June 12, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
  35. cookie19

The point of this article, to you other ignorant readers taking up space and valuable air on this earth, is that we no longer want disadvantaged children to continue becoming unproductive results of their environment and ending up another number on the "bad" statistics. Anytime a state budget is cut, they start looking at the education portion first. This means less resources available to help the already disadvantaged according to America's standards. The education standards vary from state to state because the WEALTH varies from state to state. No matter how you look at it-money plays a role in everything. An example of this would be:there is an all male charter school in chicago illinois with all of its graduating class attending four year universities in the fall. The chances of those young men being afforded the same opportunities had they continued their education at a different school would be the same as a person winning the lottery. The education and judicial systems are flawed to where the minorities are not given fair opportunities to prove themselves worthy to be called "citizens".

June 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • Chris Hatton

Here in Florida the results seem so attached to how affluent the area is ..My wife teaches ESE (special needs) in a very low income area and has to deal with child abuse, kids whose parents are in gangs ..a nightmare beyond most people's comprehension. For her hard work and dedication the last 6 years she is making a lot less money now than when she started ..

June 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • m.

Oh please.... this is amoung the many pathetic racist comments in the response list. As usual, I would bet a large number of the responses are 1) from blacks, 2) from educators, and 3) union supporters.

Get a life and accept responsibility for the one you were given. Doesn't matter if you are purple, where you are at and where your children are at is a direct result of YOUR decisions. Period. Doesn't matter what you claim are the reasons for your position in society, don't like it, change it and quit passing the buck to anyone but yourself.

Grow up.

June 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • stereoman

Yes and now that we are past the stupid folks who are filled with hatred and ignorance we can also look at how the Repuglicans are baiting these people. How sad that they are so ignorant of the real situation.

June 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • cbinal

@Cookie19 – Yes, that is the plan of the Democrat. Just as the Socialist phylosophy in Russia – "A poor and ignorant people are easily controlled." Jessie helps to control.

June 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  36. colleene johnson

I've read many articles where in the worst neighborhoods in Chicago all the teacher can do is try to keep order...they cannot even begin to teach. Blacks???wanted integration?? I have heard black mothers say they didn't want their child to have to take a school bus across town when they used to walk to school in their own neighborhood. Thats what I think when i see those acres of school buses. We should have just made sure they had the best teachers and attractive schools. But integration does seem to be working for the young people, socially.

June 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • Okie from Muskogee

Truth – We're neighbors – I'm not moving are you? LOL

June 12, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  37. Douglas CA

In terms of acadamic performance, California Cupertino School District is ranked top 40 in the nation. It has a budget of $8,000/student. California Oakland School District is ranked bottom in the nation. It has a budget of $22,000/student. Talk about inequality...

June 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • Inquiring minds want to know

Stats please?

June 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Try some honesty for once in your life

Your comparison of OSD with CUSD misses so much relevant info it is dishonest. The demographics between Oakland OSD and Cupertino CUSD are exact opposites. Cupertino is over 80% white collar with the average income 4 times that of Oakland. OSD receives around 12K per student (not 22K) BUT is required to spend huge sums of money on security and travel related expenses that CUSD does not. As has been noted in numerous studies, the single most important factor in student achievement is the social status and education of the parents. That places CUSD at the top of the education ladder with Oakland at the bottom and nothing will change that. Please do have a nice day.

June 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  38. cbinal

Jessie – I'm not judging you or anyone else by the color of your skin, but the content of your character. Isn't that what Dr. King wanted? So, here's my conclusion being a husband and father of "Educators" and being a Sunday School Teacher, Church Youth Leader, Coach of Basketball, Baseball, and Football, and being a white kid that grew up in a low income area – the character of "your people" sucks! The only difference race plays in society now is how many MORE opprotunities minorities get over whites. The majority of "your people" don't give a crap about their kids and the kids know it – that's why there are problems. That's why they don't pass, graduate, or make it their first semester in college even after receiving an athletic scholarship. Quit blaming teachers and the government for the obvious failures of men like you who don't know how to encourage and educate. Teach black men to be MEN and love their families and encourage their kids. You're suppose to be a "Preacher", but you're hatred toward whites is hurting your own people.

June 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • cbinal

Just wanted to add – two of the worst kids in this neighbor where I was a Youth Leader started coming to our Church because we played basketball and provided meals on Wednesday night for the kids. A few weeks later their Principal came to our Church because he wanted to see what we were doing. He said, "Those boys were in his office in trouble every day, but for the last couple of weeks they haven't been." He asked the teacher, she said they were doing great. He asked the boys why and they said, "We've been going to church down here and they said the Bible says we need to be respectful to authority, and ... they like us." I gave them a ride home one night, the older one literally had to break in to his own house. His Mom worked at night and didn't let them have a key – they have to wait outside for her to come home. Dad is no where to be found.

June 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Inquiring minds want to know

You come from a family of educators yet you offer the dumbest analysis on the site! Do you have any empirical data that indicates that most blacks lack character and many of your other dubious claims?

June 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
      • cbinal

If you are talking to me – wake up and look around you. How many single parent minorities, how many times do you have to see these men bragging about being a pimp, how many are in jail, it's everywhere – is a stat from a government agency going to help you believe that the problem IS character? My family and I see it daily – I don't need a stat from Jessie or Barack.

June 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
      • cbinal

Or maybe you need you stats from the "Enquierer"?

June 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
      • cbinal

And by the way – it's not a racial problem – I directed it that way because that's the way Jessie wants to portrait it. I was saying if he is so concerned about his people he needs to accept the real problem. There is plenty of white trash out there doing the same thing. Therefore it is a character issue.

June 13, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  39. winkum

I will not be satisfied until the racial makeup of all our collegiate and professional sports teams reflect the current racial balance in the United States. It doesn't matter if the players can't play as long as racial balance is strictly maintained. Whoopee-dee-do-do. Oh, yeah–that goes for the owners, college faculty, coaches, managers, gofers and anyone else associated with the sport, media included–especially media included.

I realize that this screws the SEC but what the hey, they need a putdown anyway–far too uppity.

June 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  40. James PDX

I just wanted to drop in to remind Jesse what a racist he is. Terrible person of little worth always trying to get attention for his cause, which appears to be racism.

June 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • stereoman

Get a life my man, get a life.

June 12, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  41. PeekandSeek

Spot on Jessie! While traveling to different areas, I haven't seen any white or black owned neighborhood stores, or gas stations. What's with that? Are children begin taught business ownership in U.S. schools?

June 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  42. Ken

And what kind of results are we to expect out of black children? Less, More?

June 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  43. onlyredneckscanseetheproblemproperly

race for the bottom
    soon the white and black middle class will be taking jobs from mexican illegals
    amerika will haved the 1%
    and the serving class
    up the revolution

June 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • stereoman

No sir you are not right. Rednecks only see part of the problem and so the solution of revolution run by these ideas will only increase the problem. Revolutions are caused by the establishment and is not ever the first choice of the oppressed. You see reddy, you are an oppressed group and you are cooperating with your oppressor by restating what the oppressor is saying to divide us. REVOLUTION REQUIRES YOU TO SEE BEYOND THE RACISM THAT WE HAVE ALL BEEN INFECTED WTIH.AND AS FREDERICK ENGLES SAID "RECOGNITION OF THE NECESSITY IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARD REVOLUTION.

June 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
  44. Marcus

Can't you Idiots see that this PHOTO is from GETTY Images (a File Photo) taken over 12yrs ago...it was placed here to give you BIGOTS more fodder to talk about! Jackson has organized hundreds of marchse and this is the one they chose?????Geesh!

June 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  45. Wade

That's right. And that's why there should be at least three whites starting on every basketball team at all times!

June 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  46. Elliot

See the ads on this page? Want to know why Jesse Jackson actually pulls in any money? It's becuase people like me and you clicked on this article just to see what this muttonhead is saying now. Jesse, how does it feel to make money by being a hated fool?

June 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  47. DaveinIL

Typical liberal answer, throw money at the problem trying to change the symptoms rather than identify and solve the root cause.

June 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • EKIA

yeah, someone else's money.

June 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  48. DR in MD

Of course Jesse Jackson thinks that "asking whether the program has been effective" is the wrong question. That's why he's never had much to offer in the realm of useful solutions.

June 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  49. Gary

The one and ONLY way to ensure educational excellence is to ensure failure may be a result. If we mandate anything else, the system will be eventually molded to ensure the desired result is acheived (ala No Child Left Behind). Some children will simply choose NOT to excell or they simply don't have what it takes to do so. Why should we dumb down the top performers to ensure the bottom few percent makes the grade? Black or white or purple or green.....if you want something bad enough, you will work to get there.

June 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  50. aaron

YOU are wrong, Mr. Jackson. "We should ensure that education policy starts with morality" is not true. Education policy and morality start in the HOME - where it's OBVIOUSLY missing, considering 7/10 of black children are born to single moms, 7/10 of prison inmates are black, yet represent only 10% of the general population. But, typical of your mindset, it's someone else's fault and NEVER your own. Remember that when you are pointing your finger, four more are pointing back at YOU!

June 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • 0 Nation

Funny how 400 years of criminals against humanity is never on the table in Amoronikkka!
      0- wages
      0- equality
      0-Justice
      0- freedom
      When the criminal founding fathers and the criminal supreme court are finally put on Trial and prosecuted only then will Justice come to past .. Slaves built this colony because criminals can only build Tyranny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
      • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Slavery was legal then so they were not criminals. Also most of the said slaves were sold to Europeans by other Africans. You sir are an idiot.

June 12, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
      • Robert

Spoken like a true socialist biting the hand that feeds it. If the slaves were left to themselves in Africa, they would have never been able to cross the ocean in their dug out canoes. In fact, they would still be trying to put food on their tables by throwins spears at animals, or canibalizing other tribes, and their bathrooms would be some tree in the woods. They couldn't even take care of themselves, so picking cotton was a huge improvement for them. At least they were learning how to run a farm. Then, out of a few generations of this discipline, they were finally ready to go to school and advance to other things. The slaves were done a great favor by being brought to America!

June 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  51. Elliot

How come poor kids in rural communities in the middle of no-where don't have a problem going to school and learning? I don't think it's the school's fault.

June 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  52. Jimbo

Hahaha, looks like these kids were forced or presuaded to hold these signs, I mean they are upside down and sideways, lol. If you really cared I think you would pay attention to your sign.

June 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  53. Rhonda

the only part you mention I agree with is acceptance.....the rest is a testament to how ignorant you are.....

June 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • 225frank

You are right on Rhonda. You can not legislate acceptance. Acceptance and respect have to be earned..not demanded.

June 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  54. Leah

U sir, are an ignorant pig. Go back and live in the past...way back in the past. I prefer to live in the 21st century! Where all people are created equal in My God's eyes. Oh and while you are living in the past...go find another country/mountain/desert..what ever and live there. U are not welcome in these United States...never have been and never will be!!!!

June 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  55. Shawn

The problem is 100% the parents, not the educational system. The black side of my family is completely filled with kids that know of nothing besides sports or rap music. Their parents do nothing to interest them in anything else, do nothing to challenge them, or inspire them. They, like the aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews before them will grow up to be nothing but an additional burden on our system. It's heart breaking.

June 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • gb333

I agree, but I also think that it is a viscous cycle that has been going on since the slave days.

Basically you have parents that were slaves. They had no eduction. They raised kids that were given no education. Rinse and repeat. Not only was there no eduction, but as a people they were repressed. Told they were nothing.

This all went on well into the early 1960s. Sure slavery was abolished. But what do you think many of those slaves did? They had no education. Not savings. No clue what to do. So they continued to work for their old slave masters. Getting paid hardly anything. Laws, such as the Jim Crow laws, we set in place that continued to repress blacks from making monitory or intellectual gains. So they were still the servants to the whites.

Since the 1960s, things have gotten better for blacks. But were still talking about what, two generations ago? And while things have gotten better, there are still many blacks living in the cycle that they were put into back in the slave days. No education, poverty, and the cycle of not even knowing how to teach their kids to be better.

Now, I do think that leaders in the black community need to stop blaming others. There needs to be a cultural moment with in the black community that states that as a people, all the excuses needs to stop. While there is no doubt, they have been given a bad deal, its time to change. I only hope that some influential leader will come about and do that.

And all us white guys, really need to be empathic. I am not for giving people strait welfare, but I am very much for funding schools in poor neighborhoods so that those children are given a little better chance of making it. And if we really go serious, we could help to end the cycle.

June 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  56. Joe

Education is a black on black crime,cut off GOVT. assistance to them people ,maybe they will get smart.

June 12, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  57. doug

I like many who posted comments would not normally agree with Mr. Jackson, but like one commenter stated, lets separae the message from the messenger. I agree with Mr. Jackson that funding public educiation with local property taxes is primarily, is not an equitable method. And like another commenter stated, neither the Federal nor State governments can adequately do so through income tax revenues. I do however think there is a solution. I propose all current property tax revenues being forwarded to the State, add the additional state contribution then divide that by the number of students in the state (public and privite school students) then distribute to each school the result multiplied time the number of students in that school district or county. Thus every student, of every economic strata would be credited with the exact same funding for education. for those parents who desire a higher quality of education children a voucher, equal to the amount credited for each student would then be credited to the privite school of choice and a debit applied to the public school which that student would have attended. The parent then would be responsible for paying the difference to the privite school. There what's so hard or unfair about that?

June 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Shawn

In Texas we had the robin hood program for many years. Robbing from the rich to pay the poor school systems. The wealthiest school districts wound up having the lowest budgets, outdated text books, etc. In the end it accomplished nothing, other than pouring money into a giant hole, and punishing families that worked hard to become well off.

June 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • KCArrowhead

If only money were the problem. It is not money, it is the lack of value that education is given by the residents of these districts. Until a substantial percentage of these kids live in stable families who emphasize learning, nothing will change, no matter how you spread around the $$.

June 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • John in NY

If money was the problem this might work but it isn't, we've been throwing money at school for decades now and each year get less for our money.

All the levels of government spend almost a trillion dollars on education, the only things we spend more on are government pensions (including social security) and healthcare. Put another way, with government spending at all levels almost one dollar is six goes toward education.

Oh sure, some "poorer" districts don't have as much money to waste as "richer" ones but that's not the reasons for the problems.

Locally our "poorer" district actually spends more then the neighboring "rich" district yet has a much lower graduation rate, higher drop out rate and it's students do much worse on testing, fewer go on to college and those that do are more likely to need remedial classes then those from the "richer" district, which actually spends considerly less per student.

Jesse knows this but he's all about wealth redistribution and excusing the actions of blacks no matter what.

June 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  58. Stefanie

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton: Keeping racism alive.

June 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  59. Langor

Minority schools are constant under performers, it is true. So Jesse, what is your beef going to be when they are majority schools as will happen in the coming years and they are still... under performing? Majority and money aren't going to fix the mindset that is costing NAACP youth to fail. It will take the will of YOUR community, not everyone else. It will take the will of YOUR people, not everyone else. It will have to start at home with you and yours or no amount of money and control will lift your community out of this problem. To this I present the empirical evidence of Kansas City, Atlanta and Memphis, money and control have been yours and yet the problems still abound and continue to get worse.

June 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Rubi-o

This is about money, not race. The commentors are inherently racist.

June 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
      • DontPretend

And you are inherently an id iot

June 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • KCArrowhead

Couldn't agree more. As a resident of KC, MO (but thankfully not in the KCMSD) the issue is not money. The issue is a lack of familly support for students. Until parents in the poor neighborhoods take an active role in their children's education, these schools will always fail. Instead of expecting the schools to be the exclusive educators, they need to show interest and set expectations, help with homework, etc. Money does not educate kids, motivating them and creating an inner drive does.

June 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  60. alex

Perhaps you should see to it that your blacks study oh my what a novel idea. You are a joke of jokes.

June 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  61. It'sallthesame

So this administration's "Race to the Top" doesn't work. The prior administration's "No Child Left Behind" doesn't work. What is your proposal Mr. Jackson? Oh, "a common foundation beneath which no child falls". Sounds like no child left behind–but that didn't work.

June 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  62. wobbles

Hey look, it's Jesse Jackson here again blaming everyone else in the world for the problems of the black community he did so much to create with his philosophy or undervaluement, victim mentality, and abandonment of personal responsibility.

June 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  63. nosferatu

Perhaps if your kind didn't bring down property values so much with your actions, there WOULD be money to fund your schools. Or get your kind off the government teat and actually working.

June 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  64. DANNY

As long as the major role model for black youth is a professional athlete with nine or ten kids, seven or eight different mothers and no support of the child other than what the mothers get from the government for being unemployed with minor children, the education of all children in the USA will suffer. When ours schools continue to pass a child through school because he/she can play ball but can not read then our education system is bound to fail.

June 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  65. pfft1234

"new data from the Department of Education shows that poor minority students are disproportionately subjected to harsher disciplinary procedures that can have the effect of pushing them out of school before graduation"

BWAHAHAHAHA you are kidding right??? Yeah, that's the reason for high drop outs What a joke. It's always the fault of the person NOT in the mirror. Get your #$# off the front porch watching people work and get a damn job

June 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  66. pfft1234

Jesse Jackson, you are completely pathetic

June 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  67. schlarg

The photo in this article shows one child with a sign held upside down, another with a sign held side ways. Looks like this education effort is failing

June 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  68. Alfred Hussein Neuman

Where else, besides MSNBC, is Jackson able to grandstand besides CNN? "Many prominent advocates for education reform may believe that their efforts to link teacher evaluations to student test scores, close low-performing schools, conduct mass teacher and principal firings, and increase access to charter schools are in the best interest of poor children." But Jackson, the teacher's unions and the MSM have always opposed any reforms based on the above.

June 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • KKNatural1913

Everything in that statement is true. I am an educator who works in a district that has done all of those things...No one has takes issue with evaluating teachers on their performance, the problem is its not a fair system. If you have no type of fail safes in place to account for cheating and stat manipulation..ie putting all low performing students in one class, and giving another teacher all of the high performing students...how fair of a system is it?

June 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  69. Kdawg

Yes, for Jesse the right question is "how will leeches like myself and Sharpton make money off this scam?"

June 12, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  70. Read the Words

Government want to give the education problems to the states – Yes they cry for higher and equal education for all students and continue to compare our educational levels to countries around the world. Parents need to work on their children – the school system isn't going to do that. But equal and competetive education can be had if there is a President residing over the country that cares to put together an effective program. None of our National programs work and yet we continue to elect one person to run this country. By the people For the people? When is this going to start?

June 12, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • SCHOOL TEACHER

The schools should not be run by the federal government. This is a state and local responsibility.

June 12, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
      • Mar

The states and local government run the k-12 system. The states and local government have made a mess of the situation. The Feds have been complicit, but to blame only the Feds is very misguided.

June 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  71. doc

why do these kids grow up in poverty? because their parents are to damn lazy to work and they live off the welfare system. just like their parents did! these people choose to continue to live in poverty. you have to choices growing up,get out of the hell hole and make something of your life or continue to live in the hell hole and sell drugs and be a thug forever and blame the outcome of your life on everyone else.

June 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • BobFromPA

You are really way over simplifying the issues and I am sure the vast majority of poor in this country are working poor and the point being made and that can't be disputed is there has always been a disparity from those who have and those that don't. Providing an even educational opportunity for ALL children no matter what their economic situation is the RIGHT thing to do. Blaming children for the perceived faults of their parents is morally re-pungent and just furthers the downward spiral. It is in ALL of our best interest to have ALL children educated equally.

June 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
      • Eric

You reap what you sow. It doesn't matter how great the school is. If the student doesn't want to learn, then they won't learn a thing. Those who want to learn and make the effort will do well, regardless of the school district. Unfortunately, inner-city schools spend most of their resources dealing with the students who don't want to learn.

Jessie need to find a fix for a culture that doesn't want to go to school. A culture that wants to "hustle" on the streets instead of getting a job. A culture where fathers desert their children before they are even born. A culture where welfare recipients buy a big screen TV and $4000 rims for their cars. A culture that will lie, cheat and steal to to avoid working for a living. A culture that abuses and kills their own kind, but blames their situation on everyone else.

This is a photo op, staged by political leeches like Jessie Jackson. Most of the kids didn't even care enough about their cause to hold the sign properly for the media report. Yet, we're supposed to believe that these kids have organized to demand better schools? How many of the kids pictured aspire to be an Engineer, Scientist, or Teacher? How many aspire to be like the rappers on MTV? Therein lies the problem.

June 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • KKNatural1913

So Students should receive a subpar education because of their parents lifestyle choices?

June 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
      • Rhonda

Exactly!

June 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Rhonda

Not all black Americans are lazy, on welfare, steal, use drugs, etc........ Sadly, during Jim Crow, Black America wanted equal rights; now we have it; we are equal to the lowest class trailer park living, meth selling, inbreeding Appalachian, White American you can find and just like some of them break away from the cycle of poverty so do Black Americans. Doc, be careful what you say....don't generalize an entire race based upon the actions of a select few, because right now, you make all White Americans sound like racists and I know for a fact they aren't.

June 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  72. Truth_seeker

@rev Al and Jesse were right all along,

how exactly is the black man oppressed these days? I need something to back up your claims if I'm to believe you.... sure, fifty years ago oppression was all around, but now?! I'm not trying to start anything, but I honestly can't see how black people are being oppressed by anyone...

June 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • The Man In The Hat

...except themselves.

June 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • clarko

the oppressors are Jackson and Sharpton. They don't want racism to end. Without racism they have no reason to exist and no power. With racism they have power over their own people to make them think without them leading the charge there can never be anything done. The best thing the blacks can do is quit listening to this crap! Get your education, get a damn job, babies quit having babies for the 3rd or 4th generation of wellfare rats. You have to break the cycle and when you learn it's not the whites with their boots on your neck but your own kind like Jackson, Sharpton, Sheilla Jackson Lee. These ignorant asses are the ones keeping you down and you're stupid enought to take it.

June 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  73. EKIA

Public schools routinely spend more per student than private schools, but have worse test scores and student performance. Until we acknowledge that a failed culture and poor parenting are at fault, no amount of money will solve out educational crisis.

June 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  74. 757Matt

The problem isn't the schools, it's the students and their homes. Many of these poor youths come from homes that don't emphasize the importance of education. They allow the media and their peers to outline a path for their life. Once again, no one is taking responsibility for their actions and Jesse is expecting the government to fix their problems for them. Government interference, much more often than not, only creates more problems, Jesse. How about you dip into your own pockets and start funding schools for poor youths? Lead by example.

June 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  75. Ron

I am so sick of Jackson, and Al Sharpton too, making everything in life that they don't like out to be about race. Oh whoa is me, I am so disadvantaged, I'm being oppressed by the man... give it a break already!!!

June 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • KKNatural1913

This article was about economically disadvantaged....

June 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  76. V.P.

Don't you mean, "WILL be able etc.?" I guess you're not as smart as you thought you were either. Have a good day sir!

June 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  77. GK

Why do people still care about Jackson? He has tried for years to be MLK Jr. but do even African American's care what he says anymore? I know I don't nor any of my friends.

June 12, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  78. EKIA

Kids are born into poverty because their idiot parents make bad choices. When people stop having kids before they have an education, a job and a committed, long-term partner to help, then kids will begin having a chance to succeed. All of these stupid parents having kids they can't afford and then complaining about how unfair life is, becomes laughable. A child's outcome is determined solely by his parents.

June 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  79. SCHOOL TEACHER

He said he didn't like schools being paid for by property taxes. So, from where, the federal government ? That would be disastrous.

June 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
  80. Walter

This idea of parental input is all well and good, but if the parents aren't will to participate, it's pointless. My friend's wife teaches in a city school. Every year for open house she averages around 3 parents/guardians who bother to show up. This is out of an average of 25 kids. Complain about the teachers all you want, but if the parents aren't engaged, the only way the teacher can be succesful is if they acquire a working wand.

June 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  81. doughnuts

There was a pic floating around the internet of a screen-cap of news coverage of a "We're Oppressed by the White man!" rally. It showed a couple of women carrying signs that quoted MLK. They were supposed to say, "I Have a Dream."

One said "I Have a Deram" and the other said "I Have a DEARM."

June 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm |

im sending this picture to failblog.com before its deleted

also note the guy behind him has his sign sideways.

maybe right direction is oppressing them

June 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  82. Dave in DC

$50 says a speech writer wrote this. Jesse's mind, maybe, but no way are these his words.

June 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Joe

He's given this speech every year for the last fifty or so years,the parents are stupid raising stupid and that will never change.

June 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
      • Rhonda

@Joe, at least one child in each generation manages to escape the web of poverty. Not all iliterate or ignorant parents raise children with the same social issues. In most cases, someone else will reach over or reach back and pull one through. Instead of bashing a race of people, reach over and reach back, even if it's your own kind and maybe that one person will reach across the color line.

June 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  83. martin

Poverty has been very good to Jackson.

June 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  84. Rob

Everything is not equal, life is hard. Learn it, live it. There is nothing wrong with kids that excell getting a better education. We don't have to start at the bottom of the barrel to left everyone up to the same level. That is why other nations kids are far surpassing the US in education. Reward the kids that excel, and let the kids that don't learn a trade. Sorry but the eveyone one wins. everone get a trophy, and everyone goes to college has to stop. Its crazy and it is killing our country.

June 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Rhonda

Amen

June 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  85. J0nx

Puhleeze. This guy should be in jail 100x over for stirring up race riots, not writing an exposé on cnn.com.

June 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  86. Is this the same guy who once called new york hymie town?

amazing...he seems so different now...

hope and change effect? LOL

June 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  87. yepncman

Jackson is a looser, non faithfull to his wife, cant believe anything he says. waste of time and media time. forget about this guy.

June 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  88. Fillo

Great, one kid has his sign upside down and another sideways. Come on Jesse!
    Start the betterment of education with a little class on which direction the words go.

June 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Tray

Well, since those kids can't read, it doesn't really matter how they hold the signs.

June 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
      • V.P.

That's great people, let's pick on the small stuff. Don't worry about the big picture. Just because a sign isn't held up correctly is not to say these children can't read. But I'm glad you folks are all perfect! Really get a life!

June 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
      • Rhonda

Yeah, very ignorant of you Tray...... Hope the line of succession stops with you 😛

June 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  89. 2km N of Ground Zero

Rev. Jackson: I would like to point out that the "mass firings of school personnel" are an attempt to get rid of truly incompetent teachers and administrators and replace them with a more competent version. There is obviously a question as to whether this process is effective. Additionally the input of parents would be most welcome where it comes to ensuring attendance, completion of homework and ensuring stable home environment–in other words the problem is a lot bigger than bad schools.

June 12, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  90. Griffy

Try looking beyond the messenger and read the message. Wow, I am so amazed at all he hate going on here. Jesse Jackson is making a point that it is unfair that the public school systems in each state depends on property taxes to pay for the operation of those schools. If children of any race live in poor areas that cannot raise enough funds to properly run their education system then everyone loses. No matter how you feel about Jesse Jackson as a person he is making a very strong point about the failure of getting a good education in America.

June 12, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • mij

Can we try good home live first then blame schools.

June 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • NotMyProblem

Griffy... you are so naive. When has Jesse Jackson ever spoke about the betterment of the people... it's strictly the betterment of the african american community for him

June 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
      • Griffy

I am not naive. Of course he is representing African Americans that has never been a secret. And by the way, what is wrong with that?

June 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • datablade

While I do not agee with most of what Jesse Jackson says/does he is right on target with this essay. Funding schools solely through property taxes needs to end. I had hoped he would provide an alternative to the property tax issue. Where are the funds going to come from, who administers the money (key point), and how do you guarantee the money is properly dispensed?

June 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
      • DANNY

Back when the government decided to use property taxes to fund the schools the idea is that the wealthy would have to burden the majority of the expense since they are the majority property owners. Now we have the lotto among other thins that were passed so that the majority of these proceeds were to go to funding education, however it seems like these funds have been sidetracked in order to fund the reelection of our politicians at the expense of education for our youth. Until our congressmen and senators are not allowed to siphon off funds for their benefit then the education system in the USA will remain a joke to the rest of the world.

June 12, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • V.P.

Great statement!

June 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • Scott

He's not making a point about education here. He's advocating spending more money without expecting any efforts by the parents to improve the education of thier children. Firing poor teachers.-Good idea. Closing bad schools -good idea.
      Vouchers to send your kids to good schols -Good idea. Forece parents to get involved in the education of thier children. -Godd idea.

Spend more money on education as jesse is advocating. -Bad idea.

June 12, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • toriroi

Griffy, you are right. It's popular in some circles to automatically criticize Jesse Jackson. The problem with "Race to the Top" is that it is really a "race from the top." I've seen genuine success from starting at the bottom. Our school is an optional school with open enrollment in kindergarten. We also have a Head Start center nearby. We have very high standards in kindergarten that prepare students for the optional school test. As a result, most of our kindergartners are able to enroll here for the remainder of their elementary school years. We have some middle class kids, including some who elect to pay tuition to send their kids to us, even though the nearby district is supposed to be better. Most of our kids, however, are from poor, single family homes. I can't tell you how gratifying it is to see a little kid start with pre-primer books, then read the thickest Harry Potter books by 4th grade. Our success requires a tremendous amount of dedication and hard work. All the stuff coming from the top does nothing but make our job harder. The people higher up on the "educational food chain" are trying to prove THEY are doing something about education in this country. The truth is, THEY CAN'T. The ones that CAN are forced to work in a toxic, stressful environment with loads of extra paperwork proving to the powers that be that they are doing the job they really wish they could do. Unfortunately, most of the mandates from above do nothing but take away instructional time. Give teachers high quality instructional materials, reasonable class sizes, and then let them TEACH.

June 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • BobS

Well said. I am by no means a Jesse Jackson fan, and for me separating the author from the message was certainly needed to afford an unbiased review. Jackson's arguement for a " lifting from the bottom" based education policy makes sense and stikes a cord with a faith or philosophy calling to care for the most vulnerable.

June 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Middle Class Taxpayer

It is Jesse's right to criticize...I kept reading this article looking for his solutions, ideas, recommendations. It is too big an issue and too big of a problem to just say flippantly...we have to start with morality. Jesse's flaw is that he confuses morality with money and fiscal policy. I believe if you are going to offer a critcism...offer a solution. That's what leaders do, and Jesse, you are not a leader.

June 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • D.H.

I totally disagree with this statement. There are many poor farm communities that do not have problems educating their youth because of the smple fact that their children know what a good hard days work will earn you.

June 12, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What is unfair is the idea of parents who make a good living have to pay for some welfare queen’s kid’s education. They have their own children to take care of and every cent that goes to your ghetto rat is taken away from a child that might actually contribute to society. If they want a better education for their kids they can work for it. Start by teaching their kids that role models are people like Obama, B. Gates and Michio Kaku not O.J. or T-bow.

June 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  91. w5cdt

Want good schools? Be good parents!

June 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Diane

....AMEN!

June 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • DGB

I completely agree! That is the issue that Jesse Jackson has fought against all along. In my city, the largest urban district with low test scores, low graduation rates, etc. spends within $200 per pupil of some of the best school districts in the state, with high schools ranked in the top 300 nationally. As long as people look at it in terms of $ and not a failing culture, the gap we all want to close will remain. It's not cool to be smart; it's cool to cause trouble; it's cool to do drugs, etc. And too many parents are not parenting. If Jesse would actually listen to people like Bill Cosby rather than try to put him into a corner as an old, out of touch "elder statesman," improvement might actually occur. But honesty regarding the root causes are needed, and they are NOT all tied to money.

June 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  92. White person for equality

Jesse Jackson – You make it very difficult for the Black Community to make advancements in life with the crap you spew. you make EVERYTHING a race issue, even when it's not. Education inequalities have nothing to do with race and everything to do with social class (last time I checked, poor people weren't only black). You are an opportunist media junkie who just wants to line his own pockets. Why not hand some of that money over to the underprivileged black people you are supposedly representing? Ever heard of practicing what you preach?

June 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • sunny

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

June 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • TMoney

Well said. I read a story the other day about a girl who was abandoned by her drug addict mother, and the girl graduated high school after living in a park and working as the schools janitor in the early mornings. She was awarded a scholarship to Harvard. It has less to do about money than values and work ethic.

June 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  93. Sagebrush Shorty

Tell it to Obama.

June 12, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  94. sandy

This sounds like a KKK rally.

June 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

A hard truth can hurt but that doesn’t make is racism. Most of these comments are calling for people to take some responsibility for their own life. And you respond with accusations of racism. Well I suppose thats all you really have for a rebuttal isn’t it.

June 13, 2012 at 8:06 am |
  95. Technaut

Racist pure and simple. Which means your remarks are stupid and meaningless.

June 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  96. Sanity

Democrats sold out minority students for teacher union money years ago. Jackson is just another hypocrite.

June 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  97. NorCalMojo

What's next?

Will David Duke be writing an op-ed on teen pregnancy?

June 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Rose

It's more likely that David Duke with do an op piece on crank and white America.

June 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  98. Jake

I went to high school in a school that was primarily black. As a white student I had fewer opportunities for scholarships and activities than my black peers due to the amount of special programs offered to keep them in school and help them to succeed. However, the handful of white students continued to perform better. Why? Because there was no discipline among the black students. Instead of learning they were generally intent of fighting, stealing, acting out, disrespecting the teachers, and making everyone's lives miserable. They had no responsible family at home to encourage them to act reasonably or responsibly so they continued to fail and take other with them. You can throw all the money you want at education but nothing is going to change until the black community gets it act together and starts to act responsibly. If we follow this policy of lifting from the bottom all we do is hurt the students who are trying and succeeding by not spending to foster their learning and instead making them wait on the level of the lowest common denominator.

June 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • NotMyProblem

Right-on Jake!!! I agree with you wholehartedly. I've never once heard a minority, especially the black community, say "I was wrong". It's always someone else's fault. "My drug dealing, gang banger of a child was shot by the police" is twisted to sound like "the oppressive force of the police department killed my innocent child". It's pathetic in my opinion and people like Jackson and Sharpton are the reason for it. They make race an issue. As long as they are around, the black community will use race as crutch to get free hand-outs instead of taking responsibility for their actions and trying to improve their own well-being

June 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
      • Hitler

" I've never once heard a minority, especially the black community, say "I was wrong". It's always someone else's fault." I've never heard a redneck admit he was wrong, either. Like you, they are proud racists. "Hey, my redneck son was shot by the police after crashing his truck at 100mph into a church" is pretty common, too. Aw, poor Jake, he'd have made As if not for all the black kids making them first, right? They just didn't leave any for him.

June 12, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
      • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

@ Hitler
        You sir are a hypocrite. You accuse someone else of racism while writing your own racist remark. You make NotMyProlems point.

June 12, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  99. mshoe24

is it just me, or does this guy look like ET?

June 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  100. ffacts

people like jackson have convinced the black community that they are victims, and to rely on various handout, and keep begging for more. jackson has convinced blacks that they are incapable of doing for themselves. this policy has proven toxic as the majority of blacks remain bottom feeders in our society. until blacks give self reliance an honest chance, nothing will change.

People like jackson have done irreversible damage to the black community

June 12, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • GeraldDayton

Sorry, the "Black" community that I know is not a "Black" community, but individuals that are lawyers, doctors, and so on and so on. The "Black" community I know is not a "Black" community, but individuals that do not have a "black" leader unless it is the person looking back at them in the mirror.

June 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
      • Rose

Well stated. Thank you.

June 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
      • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Tell that to the “Black” leaders who are so found of accusing the police, politicians and any other scapegoat they can come up with of repressing the “Black community”.

June 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Ted

You really have a reading problem. The article is totally different that what you are writing. You are also a failure of the educational system.

June 12, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • CW

Jesse Jackson has not convinced the black community of anything. We have lived the facts of poverty, second handed books, and last hired-first fired for 200 years. Get out of the box and see the whole picture!

June 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm |