August 22nd, 2012

Oklahoma 5-year-old in trouble for wearing University of Michigan shirt

When 5-year-old Cooper Barton wore a University of Michigan shirt to kindergarten in Oklahoma City, the principal asked him to turn it inside-out. Much to the surprise of his mother, the school district's dress code only allows university wear from schools in the state of Oklahoma, CNN affiliate KWTV reported. The dress code, adopted in 2005, was meant to deter gangs.

"He was a little embarrassed," his mother, Shannon Barton, said. "It wasn't offensive. You know, he's 5."

A district spokeswoman said the superintendent called the policy outdated and said that it would be reviewed.

Posted by
Filed under: Dress codes • Issues • Oklahoma • video
  1. Timothy

So yeah Sarah, use your anecdotal evidence all you like, but it does not counter cold hard facts. The bible belt on average is less educated than the rest of the United States. Every state in the bible belt except Georgia is near the bottom 10.

August 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  2. Mark

School uniforms would nip this stupid discussion in the bud. Also, was the kid really excited about the shirt or was it more, this shirt makes mommy happy?

August 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • horseman

Mark,

You are an idiot...............you must be from Texas.

August 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
      • From NC

I agree Mark is an idiot. You should move to Oklahoma and join up with all those other idiots running the schools there.

August 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  3. OH-IO

This would have made more sense coming from Columbus, Ohio. We burn Michigan shirts here (as well as couches and dumpsters). I remember my son wearing an Oregon shirt and getting a bunch of grief from students and teachers, but it was all in fun. What a total lapse in judgement on the part of this principal... insane!

August 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  4. Sarah

I'm sorry so many people think that the ENTIRE state of Oklahoma is dumb for this one asinine rule. I'm born and raised in Oklahoma and proudly went to Oklahoma State University, but none of my schools ever had a rule like this. Don't assume all Okies agree with this nonsense

August 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • From NC

Just one indicent huh? Well what about the girl that used the word HELL in her speech and was denied her diploma??? Isn't that yet another black eye for OK schools?

If the FCC says the word Hell is not a bad word, and therefore does not have to be censored on TV and Radio broadcast..... then what right does the OK school system have to say any different. You won't need to remind me not to spend any money in the state of Oklahoma with a tax portion going towards such foul practices!!

August 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  5. Fred

No surprise teams from OK would have to coerce their fans...

The Anti-gang thing is crap too, are they banning the wearing of all colors?

August 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  6. Jeannette

I am from Ohio and an Ohio State fan...My son has always been for Michigan..If nothing else it makes for some interesting Saturdays!...My only grandson wears both tee shirts and at age three, knows about the rivalry. If he would choose to wear a Michigan shirt when he goes to school, that is his RIGHT....even living in Ohio! I can't believe how narrow some people are about a statement of support for a football team...Oklahoma...Wake up...it's a big country out there!

August 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Sarah

Well because clearly all of us from Oklahoma agree with this rule.....not true. Don't make assumptions about the state as a whole.

August 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
      • Jeannette

Sorry Sarah...You are right...I really didn't mean to bash all of Oklahoma as if the entire state supported this rule...and honestly, I do worry about the response my little grandson would get from some over enthusiastic Buckeyes should he wear his Michigan shirt!!....

August 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  7. tmc

censorship? Hmm.. subtle overreaction... and misinterpretation of what the shirt stands for..
    anywho.. TRY to become educated before you become educators!!! You wouldn't last 5 minutes in a metropolitan city with that amount of knowledge..

August 23, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  8. kmiller

They should have just sent a note home with the child to nicely ask the parents not to send him in it again- not embarrass the poor little guy by turning his shirt inside out. It's the beginning of school and he's just a little boy. :(

August 23, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  9. francisco

It much ignoance in this OK state. Stupido, stupido

August 23, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Sarah

Wow! Your grammatical skills don't say much more for your own state.

August 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  10. trey

What can you expect, its Oklahoma...they're land locked.

August 23, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  11. meg

I hate that this kid had to do this at my old school we could wear any college shirt we wanted!

August 23, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  12. JayHobeSound

Only insecure hick-billies would create such a senseless, punitive and narrow-minded rule. After the rule is removed from the school district policy, hope his parents buy him five new U of M shirts – one for every day of the week.

August 23, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  13. john

Michigan.. One of the poorest states in the country.. Then again Oklahoma isn't much better.. Oh were talking about college football.. Where half the team is to dumb to be in college..

August 23, 2012 at 8:58 am |
    • JayHobeSound

"to dumb"

As you were saying...? LoL

August 23, 2012 at 9:36 am |
  14. Chims

It's a 5 yr old Gang Banger, watch out, he could start beating kids up for their milk!

August 23, 2012 at 8:54 am |
  15. Agh

Wonder what would have happened had he worn a CUB shirt or jersey .?
    Agh

August 23, 2012 at 8:25 am |
    • Yup

Yeah, or a Miami Heat shirt...

August 23, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  16. Agitated

What do you expect, the elites already programmed teachers and principles to abuse kids and if we do anything about it the police will arrest us,,, so tired of fraudulent schools anyways..what do you learn? These thugs need to be eradicated, how can you do that to a small child, they better investigate his kids too they may be abused in many ways... but i doubt it because the law protects Tyranny and not the people.

August 23, 2012 at 7:32 am |
  17. John

The teacher probably graduated from some lower tier school like Ohio State.
    What the hail was this about? This smart kid will be among the leaders and the best!
    Go Blue!!

August 23, 2012 at 6:14 am |
    • DH in NV

Ladies and Gentlemen,

May we pleas dispense with the hatred and insults for a moment? The current political campaigns are providing plenty of that. Gangs use a lot of different things to idedntify themselves, and apparently at one time diferent univeristy logos were one way to say you were part of a particular gang.The response of the school board was probably to prohibit all but the local schools. I know that here locally they prohibit bandanas for the same reason. It's not about stupidity, or hating a school, or whether you believe in the Bible. It was a broad stroke reaction to a genuine problem. Is the 5 year old in a gang? No. But they probably felt it was easier to make it a school wide regulation thatn to say it only applied after 4th grade or some other arbitrary point. Maybe they'll change it for kindergarteners after this story. Either way, they're trying their best to deal ith a real problem, and no soluion is going to be perfect. Thanks for your time.

August 23, 2012 at 7:22 am |
      • Agitated

Listen to yourself, you starting to sound like Obama.. I am sure you support him and the elites, which means 5 year old kids getting beat up by adults.. Down with you all.

August 23, 2012 at 7:44 am |
  18. memom

HE IS 5! Get a grip! Gangs? Does he even understand that? I think they need to re-evaluate! I'd be mad if I was the mom/dad! Its time for all Michigan people to stand up and let OK hear it! Go Blue!!

August 23, 2012 at 5:32 am |
    • cuervo jones

please give more info so i can send a Spartan shirt right away. poor kid, forced to wear a UM shirt. the therapy must begin at once i say

August 23, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  19. kamarasune

Don't shoot the messenger. You can bet that this policy was handed down by the school board and they were given a good reason to create it, and if they showed any bias or leniency they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit...

August 23, 2012 at 2:31 am |
  20. David

Does any there have any good ideas about how to get through to Carole to help her understand how flawed her reasoning and logic is? But perhaps she already knows how flawed it is because she does take any time at all to defend herself against the valid points that people are bring up to her. And to think Carole is raising 4 children, I truly feel bad for them.

August 22, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
  21. Lefty

If it was because it was a "gang" color and he had to turn it inside-out, what color did it become by doing that?

August 22, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • memom

Exactly!! Morons!

August 23, 2012 at 5:34 am |
  22. Papa

It should have been a Central Michigan University sweatshirt, the greater embarrassment was it was a U of M sweatshirt ... Go Chippewas !!!!!

August 22, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
  23. edward

wow, I didn't know that this kind of code is still existed in America. do we live in 19C? as a matter of fact, he is just 5 years old. he doesn't know. this is really stupid. that's why midwest can't be developed or many people don't want to live there. hey, kid! go to west coast or east coast. you will enjoy much more freedom. stupid Oklahoma.

August 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
  24. Bockat

The Principal was only following the regs.

Given that Okies are rabid about football, the Principal probably save the kid from getting his butt kicked.

Michigan is a loser school in any case.

August 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • rain301

Typical ignorant response. You are the loser,making stupid childish statements about a university. You apparently know nothing about it's academic reputation. Also,check the total football wins in history and you will find they have actually won more games than OU ( and I am an OU grad ) , but facts are facts and your ignorence was blatant.
      Also, where is the common senses,the kid is FIVE.
      There were regs for slaves in this country and regs for Jews in Germany,so this is how stupid regs are not challenged and people like you just blindly follow like sheep just because some small minded old white guys set the regs.

August 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
      • jeff

Wow. A bit rabid. You blanket the entire Midwest in your post. First, do you know what the Midwest is? Oklahoma is most probably best characterized as the Southwest portion of the U.S.

Second, many people live in the "Midwest" and they prosper.

Finally, based on your rant, you are an East Coast person, probably went to Rutgers or somewhere similar and cannot get a job in your field.

Beef, pork, or chicken is what's for dinner. When was the last time you could afford sushi for dinner?

August 23, 2012 at 12:17 am |
      • miltrain

if you're going to blast someone for being ignorant, please do not forget to spell correctly, there is nothing more embarrassing than scolding someone else for their (ignorance), and displaying some of your own. :)

August 23, 2012 at 1:27 am |
      • Jimmy J

Me think thy does protest too much. Sarcasm the new Dr. Pepper, its so misunderstood.

August 23, 2012 at 7:12 am |
      • jeff

It is "thou dost protest too much," Not "Thy."

August 23, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • Heather Halligan

Tell that to U.S. and World New Report. It is rated as one of the best in the country!

Hail to the Victors! Go Blue!

BTW, I graduated from The University of Texas! Hook'em Horns!

August 23, 2012 at 12:13 am |
      • Bockat

UT is a loser school. Mac Brown is JoPa junior.
        Austin is Pompousville and will be in Chapter 7 (liquidation) by the end of the decade.

August 23, 2012 at 12:35 am |
      • Bevo Lover

You go, Heather! I'm a Longhorn, too, but unfortunately, live in OK. This is totally a loser state. Bockat is obviously a sooner, based on his/her response to you.

August 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Bockat

Michigan is a loser school and your childish rant only proves my point.

I'll bet you are my peabrained UM brother in law.

August 23, 2012 at 12:31 am |
      • Heather Halligan

You would lose that bet. I am a retired medical car professional, and I have saved more lives than you are able to count, and would have saved your sorry butt, if you walked into my ER.

August 23, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • astrosquirrel

I don't know about saving his "butt" from being kicked. I'm an OSU grad and not very into the sports scene but even OU and OSU fans get rabid. If you own an OU garment in Stillwater (OSU hometown) you will be bullied, possibly phyiscally assaulted. In Norman (OU hometown) they will trash your car if you have any reference to OSU on it. Having an out of state school on your shirt will probably save you from the non-sense.

August 23, 2012 at 3:48 am |
      • memom

That is the stupest reply I ever read/ And I am from OHIO!

August 23, 2012 at 5:42 am |
    • memom

It's nt about schools, is it? It's about controlling a child. U of Michigan is a great school and someday, he may have a chance on going there. Or maybe he will only be allowed to go to an Oklahoma college?!! The colors are the same inside out. Smart people there, I tell ya!

August 23, 2012 at 5:37 am |
  25. Tony

I see where the principal is coming from...wait, no I don't. This is just stupid.

August 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  26. Nat

So stupid!,the rule has been like that sense i was in 3rd grade! Get over it

August 22, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • Dave

And "the way it is" is should always be accepted?

August 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • Timothy

Are you sure you made it past the third grade? I truly am hoping English is not your first language.

August 23, 2012 at 9:47 am |
  27. rain301

OKLA backs "personhood" for pre-zygotes, buys guns with the zeal of wild-eyed survivalists, snarfs alarmingly large cheeseburgers at a disturbing rate and thinks it is sane to pray away the gay. So it is hardly surprising that they harbor gang fears about a 5-year-old wearing a shirt that does not tout an Okla. team. State sports is their real religion. Which I am rapidly losing, like the refrain in an REM song.

August 22, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • Bevo Lover

You're absolutely correct, rain. This state is 95% ou fans (most of whom couldn't find Norman, OK with a map) and 5% OSU fans. There is nothing else in this state (except maybe the Thunder) that exists or matters to these losers. This is absolutely the WORST state in which I've lived. And it should be obvious from my grammar that I am NOT an okie.

August 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
      • Okie

I think that you are both being a bit stereotypical. I have lived in Oklahoma my whole life. I do not support "personhood" and I sincerely believe that gays should be allowed to marry. I am an English major and I obviousy have good grammar. We are not all what you are describing. While you are bashing Oklahoma as a whole, remember that stereotyping is a sign of ignorance. There are plenty of really good people in this state.

August 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  28. Deptirado

The issue is more gang related than anything else.(gang colors, symbols, bandanas etc) Unfortunately that is the world we live in. Don't get me wrong I get that he is only 5 years old and he isn't a gang. Oklahoma has a lot of gang issues and that is one way they fight it...blue and red are used a lot in gang affiliation.

August 22, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • memom

Not true! There are many colors involved in gangs. We can not single out any colors because of this. It only glorifies gangs. Remember the Raiders were gang related at one time. Did we off them too? Its a flimsy excuse at best.

August 23, 2012 at 5:40 am |
      • deptirado

Yes very true.....they do this in other place across america that have gang related issues...

August 23, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Bevo Lover

But I doubt seriously that turning the shirt inside out changed its colors.

August 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  29. Amanda

I addressed this message to Carole, but wanted to share it to all as well

"I have read some of your coments. With all do respect, being a sheep is not always the best policy. The laws, regulations, and policies set forth by government, schools, or any where else has not always been the best for us. I hope you do your self a favor and open your mind to truth and free will. From what I gather you "always follow the rules, no questions asked". Well I am afraid for our future as a country if there are more people like you, and afraid for future generation for instilling the same sheep minded follow the leader mentality. We are doomed as society if we act as you do. Please consider my suggestion, open your mind, and stop being a follower."

August 22, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Timothy

It is extremely scary, these same people take the Bible literally and use it to persecute people. A fiction book filled with magic, slavery and misogyny...written 1800ish years ago by a bunch of sheep herders, literally guides their moral compass.

August 22, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
      • Caroline Miller

Too bad you have no moral compass, other than whatever feels good right now.

August 22, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
      • Timothy

Carole, my moral compass is found through rational, secular discussion. I don't just blindly follow a book that is filled with mass murder, slavery, misogyny and other hate filled content. I believe in equality for all, something you will not find in the bible. I believe in questioning authority when illogical, or immoral. I believe in a set of secular morals that far outweighs the good deeds in your book.

You don't need the bible to have a moral compass. If the only thing keeping you from running through the streets killing people is a book, then I truly fear for your sanity and fear for the lives of those around you.

August 23, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  30. Dan

Did they let him carry his firearm in?

August 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  31. NutGrinder

Hahaha stupid America strikes again!

August 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Timothy

Leave it to the nuts in the bible belt.

August 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
      • Caroline Miller

What does bible belt have to do with gang-related problems? How do you make the connection betwee one and the other? Anything said by someone in the south that you don't agree with is automatically a "bible belt" problem? You're an idiot.

August 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
      • Timothy

If you look at what I replied to, you would see he stated "leave it to stupid America." Numerous studies have shown the bible belt on average is less educated than the rest of the country, hence, the stupid part of America.

I am from the South, not all of the South is the Bible Belt, the Bible Belt is the Bible Belt. Southern Florida, where I am from, is not part of the Bible Belt, northern Florida, unfortunately is.

August 23, 2012 at 9:45 am |
      • Sarah

Where are you getting your stats about being less educated? I'm from Oklahoma. I have advanced degrees, have traveled around the world (alone AND with students), speak 3 languages and educate at multiple levels. I count myself very fortunate to have had the educational experiences I did in my home state (and others). Just because one school district hasn't reviewed its policies in a while, you assume the whole of the bible belt is less educated. Look in the mirror with your assumptions.

August 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
      • Timothy

Straight from the Census Bureau. Oklahoma has one of the lowest percentage of people with Bachelor's degrees(43rd out of 50 states). Feel free to check the rest of the bible belt, most of them are on the lower end, such as Kentucky(47), West Virginia(50), Mississippi(48), Alabama(44), South Carolina(39), Tennessee(41), Louisiana(46), Arkansas(49).

Hmm, pretty much the entire bottom 10 is located right there in the bible belt.

Another funny fact, states located in the bible belt also contains the most obese people in the United States.

August 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
      • Timothy

contain*

Here is the link for obesity I forgot to add, note the bible belt, all of them are orange and yellow.

Also, another funny link, the higher the education you have, you're less likely to be obese. Obviously correlation does not always equal causation, but it makes you think.

August 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
      • Timothy

August 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  32. Aimee

After reading some of these comments about supporting this kind of behavior whether it be a 5 yr old or not, I'm certainly glad I don't know any of you because I would never trust my children with any of you. Parents are suppose to lead by example and encouraging your child to not follow rules/authority only leads to trouble.

August 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • Seriously?

Teaching your kids to question rules and the validity of them makes much more sense than saying to blindly obey. This is an illogical rule and even the school district said they will review it.

Just because slavery was perfectly legal, doesn't mean it was moral. I would want my kids questioning that, and thinking on a rational basis on why a rule is good or bad. Blindly following order and rules is just as awful as disobeying every rule.

August 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
      • Jim

I definitely agree, I really don't mean to Godwin this, but I wonder if Aimee would have told her kids to follow Hilter's order and kill the Jews. They can't break any rules right, no matter how immoral and irrational they are.

August 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
      • Dave

The United States is not China or Cuba. Teaching your child to challenge authority over extremely stupid rules is part of raising your child. I feel for the children whose parents teach them to goosestep to whatever they are told no matter how wrong it is.

August 22, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  33. Steve the Wolverine

Love that kid and his family! Go Blue!!!

August 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • James the Michigander

Yeah buddy, GO BLUE!!

August 22, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
    • Heather Halligan

Go Blue! A great school, and I am a Texas Ex! Hook'em Horns!

August 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
  34. Carole

The parent is responsibile for the child's attire at this age so the parent should be held responsible. Since the school has had this policy for 7 yrs than the parent was well aware and decided to disobey the school rules. Shame on her!

August 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • reader

Shame on your for assuming that the parent was "well aware" of the policy.

August 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
      • Carole

If the policy has been in force for 7 yrs then she knew! Parents have to sign paperwork about the policy. So shame on you for standing up for stupidity and against policy. Parents need to take responsibility for their actions and set good examples for their children. Obviously you don't take responsibility for anything

August 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
      • Leah

Carole – If you are not part of that school district, then how do you know she had to sign anything? I've had my kids in various schools and not once have I ever had to sign anything regarding policy. My oldest son had to sign an honor pledge, but the only thing I've ever signed were report cards. Not every school functions the same. My youngest started kindergarten this year, and they no longer use the district handbook. We received a 2 page "School Policy" handout (which we did not need to sign) and it does not address much of the rest of the district policies. Dress code, use of electronics, drug searches, etc. are not included in my daughter's version of the handbook. If she were my first or only child, how would I know what was in the district policy if it wasn't distributed to me? I only know the rules because I have two older children. Your example that the rule had been in place for 7 years so she HAD to have known makes no sense. Since when did people learn the school policies prior to having kids or enrolling them in school? Before your kids were born, did you just randomly go to the local schools and get copies of the handbooks to study and memorize so that 7 years later you would know them all?

August 22, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • Brian

You make a pretty large assumption here. You assume that this dress code, which is a dress code intended to deter gangs – not something a person generally associates with a 5 year old, has been distributed clearly to the parents of children entering kindergarten. Unless you personally live in said district, you have no personal knowledge of how well known nor how well publicized this dress code is. So get off your anti-parent high horse.

August 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
      • Carole

Brian- I have four children and at no time did I allow them to not follow school rules; they are set for a reason. They also have you sign paperwork about the school rules/policy at every school. Stop being a slacker parent and letting this parent off the hook. Apparently the reason you support this kind of behavior is because you don't teach your children to obey rules/authority as I'm sure you don't either.

August 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
      • Joe

"They also have you sign paperwork about the school rules/policy at every school" – Carole, the Know-It-All

Please tell me how you managed to attend every school in the nation? You missed a few. Quite a few, in fact. No school in my county requires a signature for the handbook or school policy. However, since I can tell you'd never want your children to break any rules, I am from Alabama, and here are a few warnings for you:

1. Make sure you tell your kids not to open their umbrellas if it starts raining as they cross the street. It's illegal.
        2. Put away the dominoes on Sunday, it's illegal to play then.
        3. Don't buy them masks for Halloween. It's illegal to wear a costume mask in public.

I think I've turned over a new leaf, Carole. This Sunday, when Grandma gets out her dominoes to play with her group of 80 year old friends, I'm calling the police and turning them in. Halloween is gonna be a lot more fun since I will now attempt to make a citizen's arrest of every child who comes to my door with a mask on. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

August 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
      • Lori R

Joe,
        Thank you for making me laugh until I was crying! I had a really bad day, and your reply to Carole just made my whole day! I play dominoes (I am well under 80) and I am going to play on Sunday in honor of your grandma! I live in MI, so no worries, you won't have to call the police! I am so tired of people like Carole and their negative comments. Thank you for putting her somewhat back in her place with good old fashion humor. It was refreshing and truly appreciated!

August 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • lol

Where are you from Carole? I guarantee your state has a law you break. There are so many stupid laws and rules in existence that it is hard to not break. Just because someone it is a rule doesn't mean it is justifiable.

One such example(of many), in Florida, it is illegal to skateboard without a license. So I hope you don't live in Florida and I hope your kids don't ever skateboard.

August 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
      • Steve

Finally, someone who doen't blindly follow everything they are told. Thank you for giving me a shred of hope.

August 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Sandy

Carole...her child is 5. If this was her only or oldest child, it means she is a new parent to the school system. You don't know that she has known the rules for seven years lol.

August 23, 2012 at 2:48 am |
    • Colin

okay 1 im from Michigan and 2 y would you even care if the kid wears "ohhhhh look out he might be gang related" and thats total sarcasem!!!! and 3 there aint a god up there

August 23, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • From NC

What in the world are you thinking..... have you had your IQ tested lately? You might want to do that before you open your mouth again.... you know.... just so you see where you fall in the spectrum of things. This might help you to prevent future embarassment.

Unbelievable!!!

August 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
      • From NC

My comment above was directed towards Carole.

August 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  35. Jim Oliver

You gotta watch these evil 5 year olds. Someone should report him and his gang to Homeland Securityor fire these STUPID school administrators. I'd go with the second choise

August 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Carole

It's not the schools fault! It's the parents fault for not following school rules.

August 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
      • Zach

The rule was stupid, Carole. Plain and simple. Kindergarteners aren't generally gang material. The rule was obviously targeted at older students in the district, but was applied to all. It was an oversight by the district, which is being reviewed for being "outdated", as the article indicates. Why are you so riled up about following a rule that the enforcer of the rule has already distanced themselves from? Teach your kids to follow rules, and that's just what they'll be: followers. The rest of us here will teach our children to question rules that don't make sense. You see, we're raising our kids to be leaders. These are not commandments written in stone, Carole; they are rules created by men. And sometimes, different situations call for different rules. And sometimes, the only differences between those two situations are time and the men making the rules. It's time to start thinking for yourself. Progress, Carole, progress.

August 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
      • LD

@ Zach

You took the words (and perhaps, even expressed them better than I could) right out of my mouth. I hope that when I can not be there for her, that my daughter has a chance to interact, and learn, from mentors such as yourself.

August 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
      • Heather Halligan

Carole, I raised two children, as a single mother. One is a University of Michigan grad and the other is a grad of College of Creative Studies. Both are happy, productive citizens. I taught my children to questions issues that did not seem correct and to work within the system to change them. I never felt the I could control their behavior, but only guide them in their choices. Will say a prayer for you tonight!

August 23, 2012 at 1:27 am |
      • Colin

what if thew school rule said to kill you Carole do u think your "perfect children would follow that???" thats what i thought......

August 23, 2012 at 10:20 am |
  36. bleonard

The in-state only policy perhaps misguided, but the actions – what's the big deal? My 5-yr old goes to school w/a policy no character clothing (Disney, Power Rangers etc). I know it, he knows it – if he did wear a Mickey shirt and they had him turn it inside out – lesson learned. This isn't some mental scarring event – the kids are five, they don't really care the next day.

August 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  37. TrueBlueFan

The stereotypes about "Okies"
    Have sadly been proven true.
    How else can one account for
    Banning the Maize and Blue?!

August 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  38. Loretta

How ridiculous! Even if it IS in the rules, they did NOT have to enforce it! Don't they have better things to be doing than harassing a kindergardner? Starting school is scary for little kids, now this child has been humiliated for no good reason! Way to sour him on school young!

August 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • pup

even if it IS the rules you dont have to enforce it? really? i forgot....we are only suppossed to follow the rules we like and the ones we dont we get to ignore. How about the mom paying attention to the rules and dressing him it the shirt to begin with? is the rule outdated? possibly...but do you live in oklahoma city? do you know what the gangs there are wearing?....

August 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • Carole

Really? You must be a great parent! Parents are supposed to teach their children to obey rules and authority. Glad my children don't hang with your kid. I wouldn't trust you

August 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
      • Roaj

Don't ask questions!! Don't challenge rules!! Obey all authority without question!! You don't go to school to think for yourself!!

August 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
      • Gettingfedup

Carole, you must be a Republican and close minded ... if her child is 5 years old how is a Michigan shirt offending anyone? Also, maybe he didn't attend pre-K so she was not aware of his policy.. I am fearful for your children if you think that this was a good policy to uphold. Grow up!!

August 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
      • Amanda

August 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  39. Rabbi Ashmedai Ben Hashatan

There is no proof that University logos are necessarily associated with gangs. Above all, the child is five years old. What if a relative or parent went to an out of state university. The South Eastern United States as well as the "heart land" are backwards foolish states. Even if there was a crime problem the South, The Southwest, and the heartland deserve pain and suffering for being such inbred Untermenschen.

August 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Jules

So, is your problem with the South, the Southeast, the Southwest, or just generally everywhere that is not where you live?
      Scheisskopf

August 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
      • David

HAHA! Thank you for saying something. Some people...just so...silly.

August 22, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • ohioliberalconservative

I don't know that this is news worthy. I don't believe that it will effect the child one way or the other and I agree that the Red States can be backward but certainly not all of the citizens can be lumped together. As far as the person who thinks they should just ignore the rule, well I think when you pick and choose which one's you enforsc then the line really becomes blury and full of use the rules to my own end. It' a logical rule and either apply it or take it off the books as the local parents dictate. Everyone one else is still living in a glass house so put own the stones.

August 22, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
      • JayHobeSound

It is news worthy because ill-conceived, stupid laws and rules should be called out, discredited and debunked and hopefully removed from the school district rules. The parents aren't claiming the rule traumatized their kidlet, but they were right to question the rule and draw local media attention to the absurdity of the rule. Hope his parents buy him five new U of M shirts – one for every day of the week!

August 23, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  40. txm

Donkeys are running the country.

August 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  41. KelK

Nice....I'm sure the 5 year old is all about his gang colors..... Outdated, how about ridiculous!!

August 22, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Carole

How about following the school rules?!?!?!? What a concept, huh?

August 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
      • Fraff

you are REALLY excited about this issue, eh? No wonder the rest of the world thinks the U.S. is crazy

August 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
      • David

Carole at no point in all of your comments did you take any time to reply to the some of the logical reasoning some people were trying to point out to you. Your failure to defend yourself against those comments does show that there is perhaps some flaw in your own logic. So I ask you Carole, if you are willing to debate, and throw around your opinions here why are you not willing to defend yourself again the valid points that some people were making. Instead all I see you doing is accusing others of how wrong they are. Try pitting your logic against our logic and let the truth be known.

August 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
      • KelK

Yep, first few days of Kindergarten and his parents should have already made him have all the rules memorized.

Carole, I’m sure you have all the city codes and ordnances in your city memorized too. Wish I could be just like you!!

What’s to say that an Oklahoma collegiate shirt is not GANG related clothing?

August 23, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Jim

Fraff, please don't lump all of the U.S. in with the nuts in the bible belt, these same crazy people still believe some flying dude in the sky is going to judge if they've been naughty or nice. Oh, and I am not talking about Santa.

August 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
      • Sarah

Jim...don't label all the people in the bible belt as "nuts." You're doing the same thing he is. And don't assume to know anything about what I may or may not believe.

August 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
  42. wow

...this is actually even dumber then the mosquito "outbreak"...

August 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • YourIgnorance=YourBliss

People dying of West Nile Virus is dumb? I lost a family member during one of those "dumb" outbreaks a few years ago. It didn't seem so dumb to us when we had to watch her die and bury her...but what do we know?

August 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  43. Amy

Go Blue! I let my husband wear his stupid Oklahoma State Cowboys shirts in my house.

August 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm |