August 22nd, 2012

Survey: 17% of high schoolers drink, smoke, use drugs during school day

By Carl Azuz, CNN

(CNN) - About 17% of American high school students drink, smoke or use drugs during the school day, a new survey by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University says.

It's no surprise to their classmates, either: 86% say they know the 2.8 million who are abusing substances during the day, according to the latest version of the center's annual back-to-school survey. The estimate is based on information gleaned from telephone interviews with about 1,000 kids ages 12 to 17.

The survey found that 44% of high school students know a classmate who sells drugs at school, and 60% say that drugs are available on campus. Marijuana was the most-sold on school grounds, students said, as well as prescription drugs, cocaine and ecstasy.

Here are some factors that can increase substance abuse, according to the survey.

Peer pressure

It's not just chatter in the hallways that gets kids started on booze or cigarettes. Digital peer pressure is a problem, the study says. For example, the survey found that 75% of 12- to 17-year-olds say they’re encouraged to party with marijuana or alcohol when they see images of their peers doing so.

Some 45% have seen online photos of their classmates drinking, doing drugs or passing out - a statistic that’s up 5% since last year’s survey.

Those who haven’t seen these pictures are less likely to try drugs or tobacco, the survey said.

Public schools - and now, private schools

The survey suggests there’s been a big jump in drug use in private schools.

In 2011, 36% of private school students said their school was “drug-infected.” But in the past year, that figure jumped to 54%.

It was the first time in the history of the survey that a majority of private school students reported drugs on campus.

The overall proportion of high school students, public and private, who reported drug-infected campuses was 60%.

Parental involvement and faith

Teens who say their parents are more laid back about drug or tobacco use are significantly more likely to smoke or drink, according to the survey.

Teens who say they’ve been left alone overnight – almost 30% of those surveyed – are about twice as likely to have used alcohol or marijuana and almost three times more likely to have tried tobacco than teens who’ve never been left alone at night.

The takeaway is “for parents to talk to their children and get engaged in their children’s lives… It takes a teen to know what’s going on in the teen world, but it takes parents to help their children navigate that world," said Emily Feinstein, CASAColumbia’s senior policy analyst and the project director of the survey.

Do you think kids at your school regularly use drugs or alcohol during the school day or during nights and weekends? How could schools or families try to stop it? Share your comments and ideas below.

Posted by
Filed under: Behavior • Carl Azuz • High school • Issues
  1. woodie

Lumping smoking into these figures really provides a bias. You can function normally on tobacco. These other drugs are a radically different story.

August 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • tacc2

The nicotine actually gives you an edge. Definitely not good for you though.

August 22, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  2. JerseyGeorge

Growing up in Jersey, my parochial catholic school friends were the biggest hell raisers going. I went to public school with friends, and us by far were more tame.

August 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  3. George

The problem with the good-doers in churches is that when they get released to live, they have the tendacy to be the worse among the flock. There was more right than wrong in the 1960's. Live and let live, love one another and peace are words we fear rather than embrace. Hell if I was a teen looking at this world and what was legislated that I do, be and/or conform to, I'd want to medicate myself too!

August 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  4. So did I ....

This is new news? We were the "Freaks" everyone new us and most liked us, we could get them pot. We drank, got high and even did LSD a couple of times at school. This was the 80's and I'm sure the teachers saw us high but unless you got caught with some substance you were tolerated. Did anyone at a public school NOT know these people?
    BTW I am an Engineer/Designer now, and I can say I had some fun.

August 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  5. peach

oh my that's funny. "Faith plays a role here, too. Teens who regularly attend religious services aren’t as likely to use illegal substances or tobacco." In my experience that is so NOT true.

August 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • tyler

yeah that is funny childern that attend religous services just, know how to not get caught, or are just smart enough to say "no we dont do that," if you doubt me go to creation! a festible often refered to as the christian woodstock, CNN this article should just be labeled duh! we no high school is where drugs r first an option, and kids get peer pressured... please

August 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • denim

Really. They're much more used to lying to people to get along in that crowd.

August 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  6. James Nathanael

I believe it is true to some extend if the % rise to the value of 17%. If and only if, random drug & alcohol testing could prevent this outbreak in schools. When tested positive the student should be suspended from school, a parents or guardians be responsible for a change.

August 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Scott B

They already now test kids who want to engage in any extracurricular activity and search everyone's locker for drugs. And it's done absolutely nothing. How about we accept the fact that kids will be kids and educate them and realize that many will make bad choices?

August 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  7. MDM

In the high school I went to (1999 to 2003) they had "Zanny day" once a year. Not an exaggeration at least 25% of the school (1500 kids in the school) would be popping Zanex prescription pills. That's at least 375 kids. One student in my trig class had seizures and needed an ambulance. And this was a wealthy public school, I would have to imagine it is worse in rougher schools/areas. Kids just want to be messed up all the time, as if their lives are so tough.

August 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  8. MD

What do you expect from the worst generation in the history of our country. Garbage in = garbage out. Parents refuse to take any responsibility for their children. This is no surprise to me. Wake up America.

August 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Kristen

Just remember that your generation is the 1 that screwed up this country so bad that my generation will have to suffer from your mistakes. Also, your generation is the one that raised us so seems to me like you are the garbage.

August 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
      • Adult

And yet, you let this happen still.

August 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  9. Max

OK so wait. This article is saying 17% of high school kids do drugs/smoke/drink during the school day based on a survey of 1000 high school students? Seems like an incredibly small sample size to draw any hard conclusions from. Isn't the very basic rule of a statistical study that the sample size must be large (and diverse) enough to represent the whole population? 1000 doesn't seem to satisfy that...

August 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  10. Jerry

What did you think would happen when the schools teach the kids that they have the right to decide what's right and what's wrong, what acting ethical means and what's true and what isn't?

August 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • tumadre

What are you basing that premise on Jerry? That's ridiculous.

August 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  11. mdaneker

We're in the middle of the second Great Depression. The stress trickles down, kids take drugs to cope. People don't see the drug use and partying for what it mostly is, a way to deal with stress, anxiety and depression.

August 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Julia

Nah. Maybe true for a few, but kids also do drugs now for the same reasons they always have: because they like to experiment and because getting high is fun (until someone gets hurt.)

August 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  12. Syxx Sense

HA! When I was in high school (1990s), a majority of the kids who went to church in our town were the ones smoking and drinking. One kid in my neighborhood was fourteen and dealing coke in junior high. This kind of behavior should come as no surprise to those parents who ignore the signs and refuse to stay engaged in the lives of their children.

August 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  13. dd

Kids who smoke or use drugs at school should be expelled for 1 year – PERIOD! Do it again and they should be jailed for 1 year. Do it again and they spend their life in prison. The US doesn't need more imbeciles! We don't want them on the streets, voting, or working.

August 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • DV

Wow, there's a great solution, through kids in jail for life for using drugs. That will really help them. I'm sure it will really help our country too, having 10's of millions more people in jail that we have to pay for.

August 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
      • KT

thank you, DV, for your intelligence and common sense in responding to dd's ridiculous comment.

August 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • claybigsby

yep, lets imprison non-violent drug users and spend $30k/year for the rest of their lives.

August 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • Taran

No, not life in prison, then the rest of us will have to pay for them. Just kill them and be done with it. Remove the stupidity from the gene pool.

August 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • KW

According to this plan of jailing "imbeciles", dd would be in jail for life.

August 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
      • denim

Agreed.

August 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  14. Perry

I bet more teachers use drugs than students.

August 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • tumadre

I'll bet they don't

August 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
      • denim

I wouldn't take your side of the bet. The drug is likely alcohol.

August 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Jason

It woudln't surprise me, given the absolute morons and their parents that they have to deal with on a daily basis.....

August 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  15. Perry

All this talk about the students. When I was in high school, I remember a group of teachers that would go out to "lunch". Upon returning and exiting from the teachers vehicle it was like that scene from fast times at Ridgemont High. I wonder what the percentage is for teachers who self medicate DURING school hours?

August 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  16. Seyedibar

This seems like normal healthy teen behaviour to me. It's only natural at that age for teens to start trying on the personas of the adults in their lives, and with a giant captive audience, school is a decent place to work that out.

August 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  17. Kidsrights Advocate

With school districts competing for funding, they've learned to hide this issue. In most cases, police departments aren't allowed on school property to search for drugs. School districts contract their own searches with outside privately owned companies. Teacher's, Principals, and school officials are afraid to stand up against children's bad behaviors nowadays, hence these children getting into more and more risky behaviors.

August 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  18. OregonTom

Kids don't do drugs at school. There is plenty of time in the rest of the day to have a pint or to roll one up.

August 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  19. Elliot

So what? Nothing has changed in 20 years then. People will survive, the kids will grow up and be productive, just let it be.

August 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • denim

Nothing changed in 30 years, either.

August 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  20. Will

Tomorrow's trash men and janitors.

August 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • denim

Sure. And artists. And engineers. And accountants....

August 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  21. Roelof

17%? 20% of the Dutch (high school) smokes. I think it's less than 1% that drinks alcohol during school time. Smoking pot.. I also think that's below the 2%, because the coffee shops are not allowed to sell weed close to schools. Next to that most Dutch students don't smoke pot, they could get suspended.

August 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Steve

Not to mention, both alcohol and cigarettes are classified as drugs as well...funny how we continually gloss over that in the US. We partake of the drug known as alcohol in abundance, causing far more destruction and death than any other drug in existence.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a liquor store just down the street that I need to visit. I can pick up as much alcohol as I can carry, drink as much as I want and the govt is cool with that. Hell, the punishment for killing someone while drunk with a vehicle is actually pretty low, lower than selling pot, or growing it. Ultimately they could care less how many people are killed or kill themselves by way of alcohol, most of the politicians are in the pockets of any big industry...point to one and I am sure they are a sponsor of at least a handful of our politicians.

August 22, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
      • smc_10

I agree 100%

August 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
      • denim

Me too.

August 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  22. Ax

Sounds about right give or take. It's no different than when I went to HS 35 years ago. Some students get it and grow up and mature. Others don't and waste opportunities. It's been going on since the dawn of man. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

August 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
  23. JCMars

Another benefit of ObamaCare and from the Democrats.

August 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • eMan

jc... God you are ignorant !!!

August 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • smc_10

ignorant much?

August 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • So did I ....

Reagan was the one, "Just say no" we would laugh and laugh as we got high in my van!

August 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  24. amanda

That's funny, kinda mirrors the unemployment rate eh? The world is always going to have losers, until recently we used to let them die off...now we pay them to have babies and give them free food and welfare.
    Stop rewarding losers.

August 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • nicole

well said!

August 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Steve

Hey Amanda, why dont you just head back to that glass of drugs...oh, excuse me, that glass of WINE you are drinking, or the tobacco you smoke....

Oh wait, I am sure you are the immaculate one, perfect and pure, holy and holier than thou...you have all the right and righteousness to judge...right?

August 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
      • smc_10

🙂

August 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  25. John

Hooray for America. We are a nation of addicts and use 80% of the drugs in the world even though we are 6% of the population. Actually drugs are cool and its Obama's fault that the country is in the toilet.

August 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Steve

...and for you, the earth is flat AND the center of the universe. Bet you also believe in the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and that Jesus was actually born on Dec. 25th.

What a moron.

August 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • So did I ....

You are a very silly person.

August 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  26. cpc65

Time for the drug sniffing dog patrols and random breathalizer tests by the hall monitors.

August 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  27. Sean

"About 17% of American high school students drink, smoke or use drugs during the school day"

And the other 83% lied about it.

August 22, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • amanda

Sean, we are not all losers like you...sorry. Quit trying to normalize yourself...you are a freak...kill yourself.

August 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
      • kvo

Too far Amanda, too far. Drugs don't make you a loser. It's allowing those drugs to consume your life that make you a loser. I did stupid things in college, not in high school, and I turned out fine. I have a full time job, I have insurance, I have a car, I have savings, etc. I don't need to government to provide anything more than roads and education.

August 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
      • Steve

Amanda is just a holy roller nutcase who believes she is better than everyone else and is due to take over God's job of judging everyone. She is nothing more than a holier-than-thou, righteous wingnut who cant wait to cast aspersions upon others, yet cannot manage to remove the mote from her own eye.

Nothing more than a hypocrite throwing stones at glass houses.

August 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
      • smc_10

spewing venom and hatred from a computer in a holier than thou manner makes you completely irrelevant to intellegent people

August 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Deeds

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I work with teens, and I know that all of the kids I work with, know kids that either use or sell drugs. All of them also know people who party hard on the weekends. Even when I was in HS 6 years ago a good majority of the kids knew someone who had the hookup, or quite a few of them partied on the weekends. Stereotypical, I know, but where do stereotypes come from in the first place?

August 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  28. philliyboy

We teach our kids to be druggies at an early age when we give them ADHD meds to 'chill them out'. Then parents and teachers wonder why they move on to other drugs when they get to H.S.

August 22, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • John

Blaming kids with ADHD for the serious drug problem in this country shows how ignorant you are. Go read a book and re-think your life.

August 22, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
      • philliyboy

So sensative John, do your feelings always get hurt so easily? Smoke a joint and relax dude.

August 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • John

No hurt feelings, just pity for the stoopid, nasty little troll.

August 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • addadult

I agree that ADD drugs are very overprescribed. However when you actually have ADD the stimulants which are literaly speed calm you down and make you focus as opposed to non ADD people who get wired and crazy. I waited until I was thirty to finally get on Adderall. I would have saved myself a decade of frustration and difficulty had I listened to my high school psychologist and gotten on meds back then. The reason why more kids do drugs now is because our boomer hippy parents tell us how great it was smoking pot and tripping in the sixties. We decide we want to experience that for better or worse. Boomers need to finally grow up and stop the perpetual adolescense, they really are pathetic.

August 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
      • addadult

I meant to mention that I support total drug legalization, I just think our parents generation used them in a terribly naive and immature fashion. I dont blaze anymore but ill never forget how much I loved herb. Blaze it up philly!

August 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
  29. jack

Having recently graduated HS from one of the top public high schools in the country, I know from experience that it is much easier for students to get their hands on drugs than alcohol. It is a lot easier to meet a dealer at lunch than it is to beg someone who is 21 to buy you booze. If marijuana was legalized and sold in the fashion booze currently is, I am certain it would make a serious dent in not only teenage marijuana abuse but also general teenage drug use.

I do not believe marijuana is a "gateway drug" in the sense that trying it makes people want to try other drugs. However, doing one illegal drug makes it much easier for these kids to justify doing other illegal drugs. The illegality of a widely used drug (over a third of Americans have admitted to trying marijuana) leads to a large population of people who know a drug dealer. And in my experience, marijuana dealers often times sell other drugs as well. Much of the issue with prescription drugs come from kids with no cash trading their prescription drugs for weed, and the dealer then selling off the prescriptions to other students.

Legalizing marijuana would in my opinion be the most effective method through which America could make it harder for kids to abuse it. Additionally, legalization could make a dent in the use of harder drugs by students.

August 22, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • claybigsby

WOW I guess our youth isn't all stupid.

Very encouraging. good post

August 22, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  30. Taran

Thus it is no suprise that this country is graduating students that cannot read/comprehend above a 4th grade level. When they try to go to college they either flunk out or get a "useless" degree, such as Underwater Basket Weaving, and wonder why the only job they can find involves the ability to say "would you like fries with that?"

August 22, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Dr.GreenThumb

We are a nation of consumers, all we do is consume. What jobs are left besides customer service or studying to be a doctor or lawyer? Nobody takes business degrees seriously anymore either.

The education system is a bubble, just like the housing crisis. Trillions in loans they cannot pay back. Young adults who were told they had to go to school to survive. They did and now what? They can't even make enough money to pay off their student loans. The schools are invested by banks and get to you early just like the cigarette companies.

So again, what can you study for and get a job now days in the US? It's definitely not an engineering position building infrastructure, we're too broke for that.

To make it in this world you better learn the stock market and sales (ripping people off) real quick. Or just be like everyone else and rape the system before it's dry.

August 22, 2012 at 11:32 am |
      • dan

Actually about 95% of graduates with business degrees are able to find and hold on to jobs, it is the liberal arts majors that can not find a job and are looking for handouts from the business community to keep their give away programs going.

August 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
      • Steve

Now thats just an outright lie Dan...and if it isnt, then prove me wrong. I would expect some links or at least references where you are getting such overblown and made-up statistics.

95%? please...you could at least come up with a number that is partially believable rather than just make up a preposterous number like that. So self-serving...hope you dont live like that...

August 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  31. babyann

Many younger women are looking to date older guys, mainly because older guys are relatively more successful in career and understand better how to treat their women. Many couples with age gap work out fine and get alone splendidly. ( AgeLove.com ) is a focused community for older men dating younger women. If you are ready for a new adventure, give them a try!

August 22, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • me

thanks babyann! ill give that a try right now!

August 22, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  32. Dr.GreenThumb

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

August 22, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  33. Davehuckle

A few decades ago, when i was in high school, in my small city, not one person ever did drugs during school. Many smoked (not me, i was an athlete) but there were no drugs, and those who did drugs on weekends only smoked weed. How times have changed.

August 22, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • Ian Monam

I was thinking just the opposite. I went to high school in a big city, in the mid-seventies. Marijuana use on school grounds was not uncommon.

August 22, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • yawn

Did you walk 10 miles in the snow?

August 22, 2012 at 11:07 am |
      • Eddie

Up hill both ways, lol.

August 22, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Steve

By the very definition of the word, by ANY definition of the word....tobacco is a drug. Just like alcohol.

August 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  34. Jim

With such a high percentage of students coming to school high on drugs, the teachers are under pressure to raise test scores. However, students that are high or planning on getting high on drugs are not concerned about their test scores. We continue to blame the teachers, when they are doing the best with what they have to work with.

August 22, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • evan

study high, take the test high, get high scores!

August 22, 2012 at 10:58 am |
      • Bob

That's how I got my engineering degree!

August 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
  35. slaw5429

I also think Social Media (Twitter most commonly) is having an enormous effect on kids and their decisions to do drugs. My 13 year old daughter has a Twitter account, and seems every other post is in regards to boasting about drug use. In my opinion, kids who don't do it today, may see drug use as "normal" through Social Media and decide to do it. Parents...please monitor your kids social media usage...you will be very surprised at what you'll find.

August 22, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • Steve

Letting your 13 YEAR OLD on twitter was your first mistake.

Be a parent, not a friend.

August 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
      • slaw5429

Agreed Steve...that's what I tell my wife all the time. My 13 yr old got the account on her own w/o permission (assuming this is how most twitter accounts start with youngsters these days) and now won't give up the password. Working with Twitter to get the account removed, but sure she'll just get another email address and try it again. Again word of advice for parents...be aware of what your children are doing on social media (you will learn a lot about them and their friends). Its not snooping...it's being a caring parent.

August 22, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  36. Kelly

To everyone saying this number is low: please note that it is 17% of students abusing these substances DURING normal school hours...
    17% is low for students doing it in general, I'm sure that number is more in the 90% range, but DURING the day? Between the hours of 8-3pm? It's a little ridiculous.

Plus a phone survey of teenagers isn't very reliable.

August 22, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • Dr.GreenThumb

Maybe we should ask ourselves how many parents ALLOW their children to smoke and drink after school.

The numbers would be quite staggering.

August 22, 2012 at 10:54 am |
  37. omaq

Over-nurturing parents create an unreasonably large safety net for high school students that promotes irresponsibility and leads to substance abuse problems and academic underachievement later on down the road when they leave home and go to college.

August 22, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  38. Ted

"Survey: 17% of high schoolers drink, smoke, use drugs during school day". The good news is 83% DO NOT drink, smoke or use drugs during the school day.

August 22, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • Dr.GreenThumb

You're right, the rest do it when they come home and you're at work for 10 or more hours a day.

August 22, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  39. ThinkingItThrough

Having taught in a rural high school since the late 70s, I would confirm both that about a fifth of the students use street drugs during school, and that other students know this. The numbers would be higher if you asked how many students ever used drugs during school, but I would say that the 17% accurately describes how many students, at any given time, are getting high in school. I get this from direct observation, from my own sons who went through the school, and from conservations with graduated students that I know well.

Some food for thought:
    1) In my experience, one of the main deterrents to addressing the problem is that school administrators do not want any public notice of the problem. I know of many, many classroom teachers who tried to bring this trend to light and, rather than getting support from above, were themselves labeled troublemakers. I also know of at least one building principal who ended up losing support from the district office by fighting the problem.
    2) At least out here, it is really kind of a cliche: When you try to talk to parents about how their academic problems stem from substance issues, you find yourself talking to a parent with alcohol or pot on their breath. Not always, but way too often to be coincidence.
    3) Many a battle over "standards" is, in my opinion, a battle over making school easy enough so that chronic substance abusers can pass anyway. When a fifth of the students are abusing substances during school, and when teachers are held accountable for the students' success (an told to hush up about the drugs - that is just an "excuse"), schools find ways to make the coursework and the tests so easy that students succeed anyway... with the unintended result that school becomes so boring that more students are tempted to get high during the day.
    4) In my experience, liberals are of no help because they are so sympathetic to kids doing their own thing, and so skeptical that schools are teaching anything worth learning anyway. Conservatives are of no help because they don't want to hear anything that doesn't blame teachers, particularly in states where teachers belong to unions. And if public schools fail, that fits their political agenda. So there is very little in the way of support for fixing this problem.

August 22, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • Kidsrights Advocate

Glad you posted here. Way too many people passing the buck and not standing up for what's right. Protecting our children should be top priority for every parent, Teacher, School Official and even our local, state and federal government leaders.

August 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  40. Bilaggaana

There are a lot more then 17% if they care to check things out. That's the way our school systems have gone. And it's only going to be worse.

August 22, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Dr.GreenThumb

They are not counting pharmaceuticals which are more readily available from families/friends medicine cabinets. You also don't get the classic red eyes from codeine or benzos.

CNN would never smear the Big Pharma companies now...

August 22, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  41. Towleyey

Man i'm so high I don't even know whats goin' on.

August 22, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Dr.GreenThumb

This is U.S. History, I see the globe right there!

August 22, 2012 at 10:48 am |
      • Towleyey

you're a towel

August 22, 2012 at 11:01 am |
  42. Walter White

Dont be surprised to see drugs at private schools. Thats where all the money is! I remember the good catholic boys and girls were doing coke while the rest of us at the party were drinking and smoking weed.

August 22, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  43. homedrugtestkit

This seems like it is a low number, when other studies have shown that nearly 25% of kids these days have abuse prescription drugs for non-medical reasons. Teen addicts tell Myteensavers all of the time that there are all always more users than perceived. They recommend frequent anti-drug discussions and home drug testing as a method to detect this experimentation.

August 22, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • Dr.GreenThumb

Shhh... CNN has an agenda today. Did you read the article about the one billion in pot plants that was raided?

August 22, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  44. t3chsupport

I was smoking weed by the time I was in junior high. However, I never did it on school grounds, or bought or sold anything until I was like 19. I didn't know anyone else who was actually dealing while at school, but it was a small town. Mostly it was drinking and chewing tobacco, the latter of which some of the teachers didn't really care about, so they'd do it in their class.

My mom had tried doing that as a high schooler, chewing tobacco. Up until the point that their principal got creative, went through everyone's locker, and filled their chew with blue ink.

August 22, 2012 at 10:36 am |
  45. amarjeet

Children of schools resort to drugs, drinks & other distractions because of emotional blackmailing by their friends, families & later by society on which they have no control. These pervert habits are ways of self-condemnation, self-destruction & gradual end of their lives that is a great loss to human society. School kids & outside deserve & love & emotionally realistic approach as most counselors & parents loose track off for want of proper knowledge, skills & education. These incidents are bound to happen in society as most parents up to 99% are uneducated, less educated, dumb & deaf to the needs of children in their growth & conduct during growth. Parents fear to discuss the so called private thoughts & real living with kids & how & what happens during maturing process from very start of planting & implanting birth of child that result in their blinded brains searching for real light to real truths. It needs ultra & micro perceptions & actions by parents, society teachers to track the children affected by such distractions & redirect on smooth & emotionally sound path of recovery & merging in main & healthy stream of lives.

August 22, 2012 at 10:34 am |
    • Dr.GreenThumb

Nice post.

August 22, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Write Much??

Learn the english language before posting on english forums please (or at the very minimum take a grammer class)...Shhhesh

August 22, 2012 at 11:01 am |
  46. LDV

As a teacher in public high school, I would say that these numbers are conservative. Drug use is happening on a daily basis inside our schools, and it is disruptive to students who are there for the purpose of getting an education. Unfortunately, schools and communities (yes, that means parents) are too accepting of this situation and when confronted with the problem of substance abuse write it off to "just being a teenager."

Having grown up in inner city schools in the 1970s and 1980s, I can clearly state that the situation is much worse today. Certainly, drugs were on campus during those days, but I honestly can't remember the number of kids coming to class under the influence then as there is now. I have called administration and had kids removed from my class as they were clearly high, only to have them returned to me by the nurse with the statement that the took some cold medicine, and that is the symptoms I am seeing. The kids themselves have then told me that they didn't take cold medicine, and that they got away with it again. So much for support from administration about the drug problem in schools.

The statistics presented in this article aren't surprising, but I must say that many of the rash, poorly thought out comments in this response section are disappointing. For those people who believe that drug use is a "right" and that kids should be allowed to be kids, enjoy your stays at multiple rehabs (if you have the money or insurance to pay for it), and the eventual decline - physically, emotionally and economically - of your very existence.

For an earlier responder who indicated that the children of liberals are more likely to be drug users, I would like to say that I work in a school district in a suburban community of upper middle to upper class families, and there are just as many kids of wealthy conservatives using drugs (they can afford them) as there are the children of liberals using drugs. This problem really crosses over political ideology.

To change this situation, laws will need to be changed, parents will have to recognize the danger their children face, school administrators and communities will need to step forward and be willing to actively deal with this overwhelming problem. And this is a major social problem, not just statistics.

August 22, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • Dr.GreenThumb

Things will never change until over half our species is eradicated by an asteroid or deadly pandemic.

August 22, 2012 at 10:45 am |
    • Kidsrights Advocate

Well stated, right is right and wrong is wrong. Acceptance of kids smoking and doing drugs is "wrong" plain and simple.

August 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • MJ

If you think marijuana is the major contributing factor to life failure, you are gravely mistaken. By the way, some of the most successful people in the world and in history have admitted to consumption of marijuana (Paul McCartney, Richard Branson, Carl Sagan). Ridding the world of all drugs will not solve any of the world's problems.

August 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  47. onestarman

In a Related Study – 83% of High Schoolers LIE about Their Drug Use.

August 22, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  48. asdf

I think it's time we recognize that high school simply isn't that hard, and is ridiculously boring sober.

August 22, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • Mike

I agree. I smoked herb (among other things) daily throughout my entire high school career, and I made awesome grades and had zero problems with anyone. Years later I still do, and I dont regret any of my choices. I think some people just arent meant to do drugs, at least not psychedelics. lol

August 22, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  49. asdf

The headline should be: "Survey – 17% of high schoolers 'totally cool'"

August 22, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  50. Debbie

Thats low ? but I'm not suprised at all this been going on since early 70's Wheres everyone heads these days buryed in sand? When I went to school they use to smoke in the stairwells, and some times skip classes go to a friends house and party. wow things haven't change all that much in schools since 70's with the drugs.

August 22, 2012 at 10:04 am |
  51. VoipOfReason

Everyone up in arms over a survey. Lets take a step back, and think about this for a second. When you were in high school, did you EVER embellish or lie about any of the things you did? Most kids do, especially when they think their response will affect their lives. Taking that into consideration, the survey is bogus, because, out of the 17% that responded, probably 75% of those lied, 25% saying they have, when they haven't, and 50% saying they haven't when they have. It would be like asking legislators to take a survey on how many of them commit tax fraud.

August 22, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  52. Josh

Uh-huh. In other studies many underage students reported that it was easier to acquire marijuana than alcohol. When you've spent hundreds of billions of dollars and locked up countless people and children report being able to attain marijuana relatively easily, don't you think the government's doing something wrong?

August 22, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  53. Steven

I think that when they include tobacco as an illegal drug they get these kind of figures. It is illegal for teens but many parents even buy cigarettes for their teens so as a statistic as to "drug" use in school it is rather misleading as teens have been smoking cigarettes for years and until they became illegal it wasn't inlcuded in stats re: drug use in school.

August 22, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • PEdward

indeed, i'd take these numbers with a grain of salt. it's a phone survey.. of teenagers.. how many tried to order pizza during the survey? ;D

August 22, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  54. JustTheFax

Pain pills are the thing in our area. There are more teens getting pulled over under the influence of Rx narcotics than driving under the influence of alcohol. I have a bro that works for a local PD, they've even suspended 3 cops off the force for abusing the damn things. Choose your poison.

August 22, 2012 at 9:47 am |
    • Jonathan

No doubt. Pills are the biggest thing everywhere now. Don't get me wrong people still smoke pot. But if they can get a Lortab, Percocet, a Perc 30, a Xanax, Soma or something you bet they'll get that before the pot most times.

August 22, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  55. Alan

What about teachers' usage? Is it more or less?

August 22, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  56. Freak

Oh, that brings back old memories of the school days, drinking OJ & vodka in the morning, smoking a couple of jays in the afternoon and still making the honor roll.

August 22, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • Brian

Its "Were", not "Where". So it would seem that Freak, despite being "numb and out of it", paid more attention in high school than you did.

August 22, 2012 at 9:44 am |
      • pointless1

Something tells me it was a typo. The irony I see is that you have only got correcting grammar online as your life's work... Yay you...

August 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  57. infonomics

The other 83% were in rehab and not available for comment.

August 22, 2012 at 9:31 am |
  58. dreamicus

I'm not sure this is a legitimate sampling. It's a percentage of kids stupid enough to waste their time on a telephone interview.

August 22, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • asdf

Bingo. people who take phone interviews are people who don't have things going on.

August 22, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  59. Mary Jane

Read more stories that make you go huh? Drinkitall blogspot com

August 22, 2012 at 9:28 am |
  60. Mary Jane

17% that's it? In my day it was more like 50% so they are making some strides..This is good. Read more at drinkitall blogspot com

August 22, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • Bill

50% of the kids in your school were doing drugs while in class? Must have been a high performing school.

August 22, 2012 at 9:34 am |
  61. Roshcats

17%, wow thats a low number! I would have thought it would be 35% to 50%. Keep up the good work keeping the numbers low.

August 22, 2012 at 9:21 am |
  62. kufunuguh

So what? If there is a time and a place let it be when they are young enough without much responsibility. Seriously, smoke'em up. Vice laws are such a horrible joke on the people of the United States. All of which were designed just to F up the party... Separation of church and state... Yeah right.

August 22, 2012 at 9:19 am |
  63. Bill

I was in high school in the early 90's, and drugs were definately already part of the school environment. I have noticed, however, that people who participated in these activities always believed that the majority were also taking part. I noticed many people responding above assumed that 90% of their class was involved, probably because they were mixed up in it. Also, many kids talk about it to look cool, and many not be involved at all.
    What is the problem with these people that they are so concerned about what others think of them that they cannot say no? Have some guts....teach your kids to be leaders not followers. Its pathetic to think that these kids think they "need" to do this and can't think for themselves. Let your kids know this behavior is pathetic.

August 22, 2012 at 9:18 am |
  64. lee

Why you are scolding them . They have Freedom to decide about their own life .

August 22, 2012 at 9:05 am |
  65. Mike Lake Orion Michigan

I bet these numbers are conservative. When people who graduate from high school and college can't find jobs what do they do? Drink and smoke.

August 22, 2012 at 9:00 am |
  66. t-Bon3

hah 17% ?? i'm sure depending on the state it's a lot more. here in certain areas of Maryland there might be 17% that don't do that sort of thing; if that.

August 22, 2012 at 9:00 am |
  67. john

Maybe we should ban these things so they won't be available to our society, let alone our school children. Oh yeah. We already have. That's ok though. If we ban guns, THAT will work.

D'oh!

August 22, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • VoipOfReason

Aye Comrade', it worked for USSR.

August 22, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  68. AnotherAnnie

I taught in public schools for 6 years and was never drug tested, but I don't do drugs, so I wouldn't fear a drug test. This particular article is about kids who admit they are drinking, smoking, and taking drugs DURING the regular school day. This number is growing, and the kids who are doing it think it's no big deal. They think they're cool. To be fair, when I was in high school, these kids existed. They were stereotyped as a group we called "Loadies" at my school up north. As a teacher, I can say first hand that anytime we caught kids engaged in this sort of behavior, they were shipped off to an alternative campus where there is more supervision. Cops weren't involved unless it was a repeated offense. But I will never forget the time our school called to notify a parent that her son was smoking pot at school, and her response was, "No, I don't believe it. I mean, we smoke together at home, but I'm sure he knows better than to bring it to school." Really???

August 22, 2012 at 8:27 am |
    • raymondvalitos223

Well aren't we the uptight little nerd princess. Guess you never got laid when you were in high school, either.

August 22, 2012 at 8:36 am |
      • Redjerry

ha!..nice

August 22, 2012 at 9:50 am |
      • gatecrasher1

Neither did I but the first week of college fixed that haha 😛

August 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  69. gatecrasher1

Funny that those who were in high school in the "smoke anything we can find" era of the 60-70's are those who are most in arms about this. Personally I don't like any kind of smoking, but putting a taboo on marijuana and drinking only drives it underground and feeds the allure of abusing these substances.

August 22, 2012 at 8:13 am |
  70. Go Figure

We need to stop fretting about this stuff! It's not nice to deprive a kid of just being a kid...they grow up all too fast anyway!

August 22, 2012 at 8:04 am |
    • Bulldog8

Kids being kids would be experimenting with alcohol or drugs as a majority of teens have done. However, the article is discussing the teens that choose to imbibe during the school day. This goes further than simple experimentation. Read up on the pre-cursors to abuse and addiction and see if you still think that this is just harmless “fun.”

August 22, 2012 at 8:11 am |
      • extrusio

not naming names, but, during my junior and senior years in high school smoking joints in the mens room across from the pricipals office happened continuously. i don't know how anyone could have gotten out of that room (smoking or not) without a smile to face their next class with.

August 22, 2012 at 8:27 am |
    • Monkey

Welcome to the dumb@$$es or tomorrow!!

August 22, 2012 at 8:50 am |
  71. mark

I don't evan have to read this to know most students are stupid

August 22, 2012 at 8:04 am |
  72. Mike

So, how's that war on drugs coming along?

August 22, 2012 at 7:47 am |
  73. harpman

There is always a large number who will take advantage of a free and tolerant society.

August 22, 2012 at 7:28 am |
  74. BT

Do people know how to read? It says during the school day. Not after school/weekends. Of course the number would be much higher.

August 22, 2012 at 7:10 am |
    • Freak

Of course during the school day that is when it is the most fun.

August 22, 2012 at 9:33 am |
  75. achepotle

That low, eh? You would think that kids being trained how to shut up and obey the Machine would be doing it more.

August 22, 2012 at 6:49 am |
  76. fiftyfive55

Only 17%,gimme a break. These days people are smart enough not to admit to anything as some one will use it against them eventually.

August 22, 2012 at 6:47 am |
  77. LizardLance

If 17 percent of the kids claim to be doing drugs and alcohol then the number is probably closer to 8 percent. Kids think it's cool to claim to be doing something they shouldn't be doing so these surveys see their numbers inflated. Even if it is 17 percent or 100 percent, it's a parental and law enforcement issue - not a school issue.

August 22, 2012 at 6:24 am |
    • Owl96

If drugs are being sold on school property, it is a parent, law enforcement AND a school issue. The same goes for substance use on school property. What happens on a high school campus, is a school issue.

August 22, 2012 at 7:56 am |
  78. Brian

Doesn't surprise, me how many of these people will become alcoholics drinking is so overrated it kills , so many people, and make you look like crap as you get older. i been sober, for 3 months, and i can tell you drinking will not make your life better these kids are drinking, need to stop, and parents need to be more strict, and enforce rules, or more kids will die.

August 22, 2012 at 6:09 am |
    • Alex

^ This is good advice.

Alcohol destroys lives.

August 22, 2012 at 8:12 am |
    • Monkey

Yep. They will be the skid mark on the underpants of society.

August 22, 2012 at 8:52 am |
    • Mick

Maybe you should work on your spelling and punctuation. You sound like an idiot, learn where to use a comma, not randomly in the middle of a sentence! I think that alcohol killed alot of brain cells.

August 22, 2012 at 9:34 am |
    • Scott B

I've had plenty of good times drinking and taking other things in high school. Didn't get addicted, didn't kill or hurt anyone, and didn't lose one job. People just need to learn about what they are doing and be willing to seek help if they can't control themselves.

August 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  79. kams912

Finally... that completely explains the illogical thought process of Dems. Now if you want me to back my words up with real stats just remember that most teachers are liberal moon bats, I think the last poll showed it at about 89%

August 22, 2012 at 5:58 am |
    • LizardLance

If you support the republicans then you must have suffered brain damage at some point in your life.

August 22, 2012 at 6:25 am |
    • bfpiercelk

The real brain damaged ones are the people who think there's any substantive difference between liberals and conservatives. They're both just groups trying to micro manage society into their own version of utopia through fear and control.

August 22, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  80. James

Why aren't the two most dangerous drugs, Alcohol and Tobacco mentioned in this survey? Not to mention the legal drugs being forced onto our kids in the name of "medication".

August 22, 2012 at 5:15 am |
    • dsavio

huh? they are...it explicitly mentions drinking and smoking....how high are you that you didn't see that?

August 22, 2012 at 5:25 am |
  81. Brad76

17%? Yep, sounds normal.

August 22, 2012 at 4:43 am |
    • Susan..D

lol..i am a teacher..no one ever drug tests us..ever...check..never..most could not pass....

August 22, 2012 at 5:12 am |
      • james

My wife is a teacher. She gets drug tested every year.

August 22, 2012 at 6:02 am |
  82. Confesin' the Blues

When I was a teen, Marijuana had slowly just hit the scene. It was rare. Someone sold us some tea ( I think)
    and we 4-5 guys tried to get high. One just puked. Only later did I realize I wasn't really high when I finally wasted
    years on the real stuff. It affects people differently and I say I wasted years because I could have been more focused
    on improving myself at a young age. Now that I'm older, I don't want to waste enjoying life all distorted with booze
    or drugs. I want to savor what years I have left in the reality zone of my choosing- that means the whole 9 yards
    ( being anxiety ridden at times, feeling socially awkward at times,feeling sharply focused and enjoying accomplishing
    stuff, etc). Drugs are a waste of time. You'll make enough bad calls in your life so why increase the possiblity of
    making more than you can handle. Good Luck,Kids.

August 22, 2012 at 4:27 am |
    • Cody

Really guy? Someone sells you tea, you have a bad experience, and now you claim it's only cool to be drugs free? Give it another shot and then you can have an opinion.

August 22, 2012 at 8:30 am |
      • bobby

Reading comprehension Cody....Reading comprehension.

August 22, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  83. lookingforhislove

I recently graduated high school and these statistics seem a bit off. Seventeen Percent? Really? I've never done any drugs or drank but I can tell you that over 90% of my graduating class did and they would talk about it openly in classes. A couple of the football guys who sat near me in English would discuss how much cash they needed to get their drugs and drinks. The teacher never noticed and no one ever said anything. It is really a huge problem that needs to be addressed because a lot of these students on drugs and drinking do not care about their education. If they applied themselves we'd probably have some smart intelectual people leading us in the future. Without the drugs in their brain and without the alcohol they seem like rather functional and intelligent caring people, even though they still have a low self-worth and are very negative towards themselves when not influenced they do end up doing better in the school environment without the drugs and alcohol in their systems.
    I noticed many of the kids in my school acted how they did because their parents had no control and the school's method of control (kicking students out of class and putting them into either ISS or Structured Study Hall) did nothing because they liked gaining attention even if it was negative. They want to be noticed because their parents do not notice them. They use the drugs and drink to fit in and they do not care about what the teachers say because they've never (a majority of them) have been taught to care or in some cases been cared about by people that should've cared.
    Another thing is peer pressure. That definitely plays a role in this whole thing. I noticed middle school students on the school bus coaxing another student to go hang out with them and do drugs and due to fear the kids usually end up going.

August 22, 2012 at 4:27 am |
  84. chicken wing

U.S.A a nation in decline democracy is not for every nation some countries need to be controlled and guided by force.

August 22, 2012 at 3:19 am |
    • harpman

What country are you from? Obviously, English is not your primary lanquage.

August 22, 2012 at 7:30 am |
  85. DJCowboy

I graduated high school in 2003. In high school I dabbled in marijuana and drank (only like every other weekend). It was good times, wouldn't trade them for other experiences... except maybe if I could trade it for winning the lottery

August 22, 2012 at 3:15 am |
    • marina roberson

i graduated in `1980 from catholic high school in baltimore md–drugs was the major for most of the kids there–it was a easy way to get thru high school in all of its drama–i do not regret now at the age of 49 that i feel in love with weed i still smoke has we speak-pot is okay i am relocating by may 2013 to sunny california where pot is somewhat okay more li beral state–

August 22, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  86. someGuy

wow, less laid back parents had less drug abuse in their kids? Guess I was the exception. Course I smoked less than my friends, so that's not completely true.

August 22, 2012 at 3:11 am |
  87. RS

Its really closer to 85%, most of the kids wont admit to it.

August 22, 2012 at 3:09 am |
  88. OldeWhyteMann

When I went to High School it was probably closer to 60%.

August 22, 2012 at 2:41 am |
  89. TalkSense

Again, this is what teachers are up against...among many other things.

August 22, 2012 at 2:38 am |
  90. jayman419

Put the drug-dealing teens out of work by letting adults buy intoxicants other than alcohol. Keep kids off drugs by requiring all sales to take place in licensed stores, with a cashier required to check ID before each transaction. Notice how alcohol and tobacco aren't even mentioned in this report. They've been listed as the most difficult substances for kids to obtain since SAMHSA first started asking these questions back in the 70s.

Kids are targeted by the gangs and the cartels because they face less severe punishments when they are caught selling drugs. For almost no risk, these children can have all the games, clothes, shoes, and cars that they could ever want.

August 22, 2012 at 2:18 am |
    • Tyler

preach!

August 22, 2012 at 3:13 am |
    • dsavio

did you read the same article I did? the one I read specifically mentions drinking and smoking...

August 22, 2012 at 5:28 am |
  91. a high school student

i am about to be a junior in high school and this number is the biggest low ball and the problem doesnt always start with the parents its the schools the school i attend is a public school and even though i do smoke and occasionally drink the fact is its to easy at school i can walk out smoke talk to the security guard then go to class for me i love it but i would like to hear other opinions.

August 22, 2012 at 2:00 am |
    • Bones

Before you worry about other people's drug "problems" at your school, worry about working on your grammer and punctuation lol.

August 22, 2012 at 2:16 am |
      • Dee

Grammar*

August 22, 2012 at 2:53 am |
      • Sagebrush Shorty

Grammer?

August 22, 2012 at 4:11 am |
  92. Andrew

Weed is the most common thing sold on school grounds... and legalizing it is supposed to make that worse or easier for kids to get?

I don't often see dealers asking for IDs.

"Yeah I'd like to buy a half oz"
    "No can do without some valid ID, you look too young kid, sorry"

Weed is often easier to get than alcohol exclusivly because dealers don't ask for IDs. So if you want to keep kids sober, start by making it so that to buy it, you require an ID. The vast majority buying weed aren't underage, so dealers will have to quit the game en masse with reduced demand, making it harder for minors to find access to it.

August 22, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • a high school student

their are way to many dealers with acces to legal marajuana and there are more to come even though they are trying to crack down on cases where people dont trully need it its not enough marajuana would be the biggest industry for the US legal or not im just a kid but from whats out there kids are getting it and i think more then adults. its much easier for a kid to walk up to a teenage to mid 20 dealer then a 50 year old man walkin up askin to cop a dub.

August 22, 2012 at 2:04 am |
      • Andrew

As a high school junior, you should be able to write better than that. I'm not typically overly concerned with grammar, but you're not doing yourself any favors by writing like a stereotypical teen.

More importantly, kids don't have terribly much money. You'll find the whole 18-35 year demographic will smoke far more, and spend far more, than the entire 12-17 year old market. Yeah, the lowest ring dealers might find that's the most profitable, since the smallest amounts have the highest percentage markup, you're still selling incredibly small quanti-ies, and never going to make a ton of money, the man hours invested for the payoff is rather little.

Yeah, you have people willing to sell liquor to underage kids, but that's a lot more rare than if *everyone* was buying under the table and 'dealers' were a dime a dozen, see:prohibition.

It's not the teenagers who drive the market, it's the 18-35yo demographic. Remove that demo by making it legal for adults, and you eliminate most of the dealers. The ones who still want to sell to minors will exist, but your job becomes a lot harder when the only people you can sell to are minors, who carry the least amount of cash. It's generally no longer worth it.

August 22, 2012 at 3:21 am |
  93. Bigs

so that's why they call it "High School"!

August 22, 2012 at 1:56 am |
  94. drew

haha ya right were all humans and we have to admit the human race uses drugs in some sense...and nowadays with prescription pills now flowing through these kids hands as much as weed this number should easly just be switched to easy 71% of kids in school drink or use drugs...honestly i wanna say 95% or up...no im not a drug addict but we all went through high school and we all know how it was

August 22, 2012 at 1:42 am |
  95. tunegrape

that's a joke. there were probably 2.8 million high school kids just where i'm from,long island, drinking and doing drugs while I was in high school from '05-'09 alone. and i went to private school. the likelihood of meeting someone in my age group who has not drank or smoked weed is very low. the 40% of kids who don't know where to find drugs are freshmen or dumb.

August 22, 2012 at 1:40 am |
  96. Smokey

Seemed like my graduating class was closer to 50%, maybe we were an outlier. Or maybe most of these kids surveyed just didn't want to fess up.

August 22, 2012 at 1:27 am |
  97. FG

Now imagine if they would have added the prescribed amphetamines and serotonin regulating anti-depressants into the statistic.

August 22, 2012 at 1:20 am |
    • brett

great point. jeez. it'd probably be closer to 40-50% if not more. prescription medication certainly classifies as 'using drugs' whether or not they are abused. it is near impossible to ever discover the real statistic.

August 22, 2012 at 1:49 am |