My View: It’s never too late to begin flipping your classroom
Stacey Roshan (left) and her mom, Wendy Roshan, are math teachers at two different schools who "flipped" their AP calculus classes.
August 24th, 2012

My View: It’s never too late to begin flipping your classroom

By Stacey Roshan and Wendy Roshan, Special to CNN

Editor’s note: Stacey Roshan is the daughter of Wendy Roshan. Stacey is a math teacher at the Bullis School in Potomac, Maryland. Wendy is a math teacher at the Madeira School in McLean, Virginia.

Stacey: Soon after graduating from college, I decided to follow in my mother's career path and become a high school math teacher. My mom helped me with this transition to the teaching world, as I had no prior educational training. I looked to her for guidance on things such as structure, timing and pacing. As I began teaching, I mimicked a lot of what my mom was doing, but with a modern spin – I was always looking for technology that I could use in the classroom.

By my second year, I was teaching AP calculus. While I enjoyed teaching these students, my classroom sometimes felt like a stress bomb waiting to explode. (I am overly sensitive to stressed-out students because I was one myself.) So when the end of the class period felt like stepping off of a treadmill that had been running at full speed for 45 minutes, I knew I had a problem. I had talked as quickly as I could, and students had responded with as many questions as they could get in, but most of the time they had many unanswered questions and frequently found it necessary to come in after school for extra instruction.

That summer, two awesome things happened that would change everything.

First, my mom decided that she wanted to teach AP calculus, so for the first time we were teaching the same course. Second, I attended the Building Learning Communities Conference and learned about Camtasia, software that would allow me to record my screen and audio, complete with rich editing features, and easily produce and share these videos with my students. Immediately, I knew I had an answer to the problems that had existed in my AP classes the previous two years.

When I got home after the conference, I started to flip my classroom. I immediately began turning the PowerPoint slides I had used all year into videos, accessible through iTunes and Screencast.com. In these videos, I provided the lecture I would give in class, with examples.

When classes began in the fall, I told my students that video lectures were going to be watched for homework, and class time would be used to discuss and work through problems. While they were at first worried about the amount of independent learning being required, they were reassured that they would have class time to ask me questions and to work with classmates. Even though I spent a lot of the year creating the video lectures, I was enjoying the way my classroom was running and found that it was erasing the anxiety level while maintaining, and even increasing, the rigor of the course.

Wendy: When I began teaching AP calculus, I was 58, and I had been teaching the same way my entire life. Since Stacey and I were teaching the same course, we often spent time in the library together planning our lessons. During these “library sessions,” Stacey would tell me about the video lectures she was using to flip her classroom and how her students were significantly less stressed because of it. I was keeping a very close eye on what she was doing, and I could see her glow with excitement as she talked about flipping, but I didn’t have interest in flipping my class.

Stacey: My mom was definitely hesitant to the idea of flipping, but after enough persuasion, she decided to give it a try. I had also just received my students’ AP test scores after the first year, and there were dramatic improvements – 78% of my students scored a “4” or “5” on the AP exam, and no one scored below a “3,” whereas the previous year, just 58% of my students scored a “4” or “5” on the exam.

Wendy: When Stacey suggested I join her in using the flipped model, I said it was great for her, but not for me. I was used to my method of lecturing and didn't want to try anything new at my age. Well, somehow Stacey convinced me that I needed to be fearless and try new things to become a 21st century teacher. I decided that I would trust Stacey's judgment and began using some of the videos that she had made for her class. My students absolutely loved the videos and said the videos really helped them understand the material better. Since that day, I’ve been flipping my class.

I'm really enjoying the new class format and my students are too. Flipping has re-energized me as a teacher, and now I have so much time to work one-on-one with students, which is really my favorite thing about teaching. I love walking around the room and seeing their minds work to solve problems on their own, with students helping students, and only asking me when they're stuck and need a little hint. The students are also so much happier with this method of working through problems together or with my help, rather than doing them alone in their rooms at night with no one to ask for help.

Stacey: Using technology has allowed me to bring compassion back into an otherwise overly stressful classroom environment. The flipped classroom has transformed the relationships that I am able to build with my students, and has made class time incredibly more pleasant for everyone. Quite simply, the flipped classroom has allowed me to create a calm, inspiring environment where students can learn, thrive and feel supported, which is truly a magnificent feeling.

Wendy: There are so many benefits to the flipped class. I no longer have to worry about talking too fast when I’m lecturing, and if a student is absent, it’s so easy to catch up. The most rewarding part is that after my first year of flipping, 80% of my students scored a “4” or “5” on the AP exam, with half of the class earning a perfect score!

Before I flipped my classroom, all I could think about was my retirement. But now I'm completely re-energized and looking forward to flipping next year for all of my classes.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Wendy Roshan and Stacey Roshan.

Posted by
Filed under: High school • Practice • Voices
  1. Regina

This concept has been working for centuries in the arts. It has been working in athletics for centuries too. This isn't new... and let's be honest, the only educators (and I am one, a university professor in a college of education) who believe that they need to be the center of their students learning are the ones who do not realize that it is not about the teacher being the great source of information but with all information available to all people, it is about the teacher being the facilitator and being the one who guides the students at all levels to utilize and apply that information. Who gets students to think, to grow, and to mature. Isn't that what teaching is all about? Lecture was simply the only way we had to do it in the past, (Socrates, Plato, etc.) but since the invention of the printing press, the blackboard, etc. there have continuously grown other and sometimes more effective methods to teach. We know from science that we only remember about 20% of what we are told and therefore that makes the lecturer only 20% effective in their classroom. Any teacher worth their pay wouldn't just tell the students to read chapter something or another and then do this worksheet so neither would they say watch this video and do this worksheet. That is just bad teaching using current technology rather than bad teaching using older technology.

September 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  2. Ms. Miles

Reblogged this on MHS Math and commented:
    Geometry Honors students, are you ready for this?

August 28, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  3. Jan

There is no way that Wendy's quote, "The most rewarding part is that after my first year of flipping, 80% of my students scored a “4” or “5” on the AP exam, with half of the class earning a perfect score!" is correct. Across the nation, there have only been a few perfect scores a year.

August 28, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • Marty

Wow–You just called her a liar, or at best uniformed? That's quite strong. We don't know the particulars of her class, or testers. Maybe not all of her students test? Maybe she has a small class? Cut her some slack.

August 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Pam

Why do you think that's unrealistic? In my school, most students earn a 4 or 5 on the test. Many feel that the AP test is easier than the actual course at our school. They are well prepared going into the test.

August 30, 2012 at 8:55 am |
  4. islandmathteacher

Where do great athletes become great....on the court with a good coach....not listening to a lecture about basketball. Where do great pianists become great...at the piano practicing with a good piano teacher....not listening to a lecture about playing the piano. This is a concept that worked very well with my 8th grade Algebra I class with kids of all abilities. It is NOT a concept for just advanced kids. They watch the appropriate Khan Academy videos at home and I get to coach them the next day while they practice with their team of mathletes. And a big part of my job is to "inspire the desire" to learn math. Keep up the GREAT work ladies!!

August 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
  5. Spanish tchr Jay

To those saying not all students have access to technology: You're right. And, I've found a solution to that. I teach at a terribly poor school in Phoenix, and instead of making video lessons, I type my lessons in a neat point-by-point format for my students to read. I do NOT go over half a page per lesson. I send the students home to read the lesson, and they're held accountable for the information because I quiz them the minute class begins the next day. We use class time to cover questions, write sentences, conjugate verbs, speak in Spanish to each other, etc. Yes, it'd be nice if we had computers, iPads, etc., but we don't. So you do what you have to do. This model works great, even with the modifications I had to make for my students.

August 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  6. spent

Crap, all I had was a slide rule....took advance calculus in H.S. 1961 my senior year. What is the problem?

August 26, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • susan

They are required to learn more material and apply it more. When we took it, it was more knowledge base. They also take more advanced placement coures; when I took AP calc. in the mid 80's there were only a fewAP courses now they take 4 to 5 in their senior year

August 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  7. Doc

Flipping is great for math, but it's awful for most other subjects. I teach science @ the college level. The "talking heads" in education have been telling us the students want flipped classes and if we don't do it, they won't like our classes and they won't learn. Well, I polled my students this year in all my courses asking them to rank their classroom style preference on a scale from flipped to "traditional" and not one single student wanted the flipped format. Not a single one. In fact, they overwhelmingly want a very traditional format with some time built in for class discussions, working through some application problems, etc. When I asked them why that was their choice they said, "Why would I want to pay tuition to then just teach myself?" Exactly. They aren't paying for glorified tutors. They are paying for the experts in the field to teach & mentor them.

August 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Spanish tchr Jay

Exactly, I agree. However, these ladies don't teach in university. They teach high school, and this model works wonders at that level.

August 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Chara

I also teach college courses, but I teach in the communications department. I have thought about flipping my class because I get sick of coming to class to read the book to my students. I would much rather spend class time applying the knowledge than lecturing. I have to wonder if the reason so many students like traditional classrooms is because they are less responsible for independent learning. I would so much rather spend time in class working on practicing their skills, and leave the basic information to homework, but I find that they don't read the book, even if there is a quiz.

How much of this is about motivation and the low expectations of the American education system?

August 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • bmull

You should check out the work of Eric Mazur, Dean of Applied Physics at Harvard. He's been doing great work with flipping and peer instruction for years. Type his name into YouTube, and you'll find lots of great stuff.

August 29, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • Toys

I do not look at the flipped classroom as they are teaching themselves. I look at it as they are finally doing the work of learning. Too often students are simply spectators in the classroom. The flipped classroom gets them engaged and responsible for their own learning.

August 30, 2012 at 7:01 am |
  8. Bigmama

Wow, people really have tunnel vision. listen to the concept, is this for everyone, of course not but if you open your mind to using the technology that is all to fimiliar to this age group and see that if it can benefit one child/ person awesome. As for teachers being preceded as lazy or becoming lazy? I think that if the teacher is lazy thier lazy, technology or not. Any teachers that worth thier wait is going to continuously make changes as needed. but how much do the formulas for calculus change. I applaud these two ladies for continuing to look for ways to reach all students.

August 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
  9. elizabeth

I'm all for using technology in the classroom, but this is not using tech IN the classroom, it's replacing the class with video. Why not just have the kids watch the video and get together in study hall? They're smart kids; the teacher is superfluous at this point. Really, I took calculus for 3 terms in high school and college, and if this teacher really feels she is saying "everything" in the videos, she's not needed in a classroom. Kids in calculus are motivated learners anyway. Passing an AP exam is NOT a great measue of her teaching competency, but it reflects well on her students' learning skills, teamwork, and coping strategies..

August 25, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
  10. TrueGrissel

Doesn't sound Kosher to me and the school board is allowing this? It sounds like a slick way of not having to take responsibility if the students fail. I never took calculus.

August 25, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  11. Jagl

Not all kids have access to computers – even if the teacher sends home a laptop, maybe they don't have wifi. Poor schools don't have the money to have teachers stay after school to monitor kids (and help them) in computer labs. Tech is a great way to teach, but really only works well in areas where kids are very motivated, have computers, and have time to do the extra work of watching the videos at home. What if someone's computer breaks? Teachers should use their time in class to teach – combo of lectures, interactive group work, discussions, etc. – don't see this flipping (which is not at all explained well in the article) working anywhere but affluent, AP type of classes.

August 25, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
  12. Andy

Sounds like FLOPPING, SLIPPING, or TRIPPING

August 25, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
  13. zapper

Great idea! This is a little like graduate school, where reading and research are done outside of class and face to face time is used for discussion, clarification, demonstrations and building on content and concepts. Smart to bring this into the high school environment.

August 25, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Tom Smith

I would like to say grad school should be for grad school students.When my daughter took calulas in H.S., the teacher taught it like "grad school". No matter how smart they were, they all had to teach themselves and he sat during class waiting for questions. Even undergrads have a hard time to keep their focus. It was horrible. I ended up teaching her and her friends. Getting back to a point I wanted to make, it could turn into the sad teacher who lecture from the same yellowed notes year after year. As one pointed out, hust make the video and just sit there. Yes, the questions will change from class to class, but you still need board time. I forgot, one of my proofs didn't believe in plate tectonics! And my school was rated in the top 25 in the nation for geology.

August 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
  14. Rat Bazturd

What the heck is "flipping a class"?

August 25, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Tom

Great question. I still can't tell after reading the story twice. As a college prof myself, I thought this article was extremely confusing and left a lot out.

August 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
      • Christine

by flipping, they mean they are using class time for the homework (instead of the lesson) and the students use their home-time for the lesson (instead of the homework). and yes, you're right, they could have explained this better.

August 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  15. unowhoitsme

Thanks for the inspirational story, ladies!

August 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
  16. snipdog88

Great article and awesome job ladies!! Math is difficult enough, but to inspire kids to achieve at calculus is a great result. You have also made math interesting in a creative manner. It was a lot of work, but you have shown these kids that they must put in the extra time by watching vids and then performing in class by executing what they learned. I applaud CNN for this story, and I applaud these ladies for "rising" above the mediocracy and idiocracy so prevalent in this age.

August 25, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  17. Mike

I want to have my way with stacey.

August 25, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  18. Bubba Keg

The ladies should be naked and in the kitchen. PERIOD.

August 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • Red

Like you could do one calculus problem, let alone teach higher math to someone else.

August 25, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Walter

Have you ever experienced a grease burn on your tingly parts?

August 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  19. JoeyMerlino

Is that a tranny????

August 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • Wha?

Wow we Americans certainly excel in tearing each other down.

August 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • RJ

Who? Your mom?

August 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • nwg6011

It seems like you're talking from experience....

August 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
  20. Boss

I know it is not PC to say this, but the science has shown that women's brains are indeed wired differently. Men do have a biological advantage. It has nothing to do with socialization. Men outperform women in mental rotation skills (the very skills needed to succeed in the upper echelons of the math and science worlds. This is a fact. This is why so few ladies ever reach the upper echelons of these worlds. This is not say that none can, but they are far and few between. The only math skill that women ever outperform men in is simple calculation. Why can't some of you just accept the fact that women are NOT men?

August 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • Wha?

Thanks for contributing nothing to this conversation.

August 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • nwg6011

Whoever wired your brain, didn't know what he was doing.

August 25, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  21. Jen

It sounds like she records the videos in one year, then the following years gets paid a teacher's salary to be a study hall monitor.

August 25, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • CG

This extremely successful method of teaching was popularized by the Khan Academy. It's not study hall monitoring. You need to educate yourself about this method before making ignorant comments about it.

The lectures are at home where the concepts are introduced. Students watch detailed lectures alone so they are not distracted; they are also responsible for their own learning.  The students work at his/her pace.  Their progress is very closely tracked by the teacher with a computer program.  In traditional classrooms, the instructor teaches to the average; in the flipped class, the instructor closely monitors the performance of each student and gives each student the individual he/she needs. The students do their "homework" in class. They get peer support and teacher support in class.

The Microsoft Foundation funded the Khan Academy after Bill Gates discovered the method and saw how his children improved dramatically using the method over traditional teaching methods.

August 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • bbell

Spending class time actually showing students how the subjects contributes to their real life is not being a study hall teacher. Lecturing is not beneficial to most students. I have all kinds of students in my classes: from the special needs to the gifted. None of them want to sit there and write down everything that I say. But giving them background info for them to look at ahead of class allows them to actually do activities that can be guided by the teacher. It's called learning.

August 25, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • zapper

If that's what is sounds like to you, you may want to have your reading comprehension evaluated.

August 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  22. Drew

I'm teaching a flipped classroom this year for the first time. My students are excited. The parents are excited. The administration is excited. Other teachers are excited. It's working:

1) Students have more control over the pace of information delivery.
    2) Students can better manage their time with the busy after-school schedules/
    3) Parents feel more involved in their child's education.
    4) Students get answers to their questions from the instructor, not from their parents, many of whom haven't had this course in 20 years.
    5) Students can actually have time to work in the classroom instead of being given the assignment on their way out the door.
    6) I can differentiate more and reach every learner at every level.
    7) I can be more creative.
    8) My students ARE LEARNING MORE!

August 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • Jack

Agreed. I am teaching my Honors Pre-Calc courses this year through a "flipped" format. The kids have fallen in love with it. They finally have substantial time in class to diaglogue and with me and each other.

August 28, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  23. Puckles

The reason the math scores are so low in this country are because of these female math "teachers." How can they teach something that they cannot learn themselves?!

August 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Drew

Nice call, puckface.

August 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
      • Puckles

Do the research, buddy, women suck at math. Their brains are wired differently. You can't argue with science!

August 25, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Drew

What planet are you on? The MAJORITY of math and science majors and graduates in the world are women. Besides, your facts are not facts, they are you chauvinistic opinion. You are a moron.

August 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Dogen

Sure you can argue with science – that's what science IS, an ever-evolving process of looking at something and saying, "How does that work?" or, "That doesn't seem right..." However, disagreeing with you isn't disagreeing with science. Research shows that for the first few years of school boys and girls do about the same at math and science. It's not until later that they begin to differ – which is strong evidence for socialization, not biology.

August 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  24. Judy Bee

Khan Academy – already online, already free, class videos all there

August 25, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • zapper

Yes, but maybe some teachers teach a bit differently and want to record their own lessons.

August 25, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  25. Stacey Roshan

Reblogged this on techieMusings and commented:
    Words can’t quite describe how amazing an opportunity it has been to have the chance to share with my mom – and give back, a bit, to the best teacher I have ever had :)

August 25, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • dw9922

Stacey,

I enjoyed reading about your experience. I have not tried it, but what you described makes a lot of sense to me. I'm amazed at the negative comments on forum, most of which seemed off-the-cuff without a much thought behind them about what you are doing. I seriously doubt that any teacher who created videos out of laziness would bother to write an article describing what they did. I applaud your ingenuity and hard work. (Anyone who thinks that creating the videos and posting them online for students to access is a "lazy" way out should try doing it sometime.) I hope the two of you continue to question, explore, innovate, and most of all, share what you are doing with others.

August 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  26. Star

After getting past the word "flipped" used without definition, you learn that the teachers swapped locations for (classroom) lectures and (home)work problems. This concept has been actively promoted by Khan Academy (free online video lectures over the internet with many subjects available) with some schools using this technique successfully for a while now. Nothing new here. What is needed is seeking out the very BEST presenters to make these video lectures. Coursera is trying to accomplish this (again, another free website with entire graded classes given by university professors). Both Khan Academy and Coursera are good efforts, but are just the first baby steps toward revolutionizing education. Finding the most engaging, passionate, and effective communicators to make these educational videos, and keeping it free and available to all, that's one challenge; the other is computer and wifi access for all – and translating to all languages.

August 25, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Fred

The most engaging, exciting presenter is the one in the classroom who can interact with the student and deal with immediate questions and tangential relations, not some polished talking head on a screen. Unless you are proposing to find this fantastic teacher and clone him/her?

August 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  27. Heidi

A couple of points here. 1. These ladies obviously spent a great deal of time and effort to help their students. 2 In our nation where scores for math and science are going down e:ery effort should be praised. 3. Most kids in this country have acess to the net. 4. Clothes really?

August 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  28. Fiona

For anyone who posted that the recorded lecture was helpful because it could be paused, or backed up and replayed: that is a huge problem. One of the main objectives of pre-university education is teaching children to assimilate and understand information AS THEY RECIEVE IT. That is how the world operates - without a puse/play button. If a student is allowed to half listen, pause, go and get a snack and watch some tv, return and continue, pause and do some texting, etc., you have taught him nothing that is useful in the long term. Sure, he or she may be able to complete a problem set by taking the instruction in these bite-sized bits, but has the student learned to focus? No. Has the student learned self discipline? No. Has the student learned to process information in real time? No.

I still contend that this is lazy teaching. I believe it is detrimental to the students, in this world of one-minute attention spans.

August 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Fiona

..Receive it...

Autocorrect fail.

August 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
      • chits

You are making the assumption that the students are pausing to take a break away from the tutoring – not a break to stop and assimilate what they have learned. In the real world, you are able to raise your hand and ask questions when need be. However, due to budget cuts and too many students in the classroom, this may not be feasible.
        Any learning method has its pros and cons. Not necessary to y dismiss a different albeit new way of teaching as "lazy".

August 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • Drew

I think you are missing the point. It's absolutely the opposite of lazy teaching. In fact, information delivery in fast-paced lecture form is only benefiting the learners who can disseminate information quickly. This doesn't always mean the smartest students. Besides, look at how many students may have great skills at sitting through a fast-paced lecture, but can't find a job that requires other skills, like problem solving, time management and team building.

August 25, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Rose

And yet, those kids all improved their grades. How is this detrimental? All the naysayers probably didn't even take AP Calculus.

August 25, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • rtkmd

Seriously? I would argue that most useful information requiring critical thinking and subsequent action comes in a form (e.g. reading) that can be looked at again if needed. Better to get it right than in a hurry, no?

August 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  29. marie brown

The writer states that "My mom helped me with this transition to the teaching world, as I had no prior educational training." How the heck did she get hired? Currently getting a teaching certificate/degree in Michigan requires weeks of observing and assisting in classrooms during your undergrad years, numerous core classes on education and your subject, and then several months of supervised student teaching. It sounds like she is one of the "Teach for America" folks who think they can run a classroom after a few weeks of training, and allow the school districts to avoid hiring and paying for real teachers for their students. I just don't get how ths is good for kids. If she is being successful, that is great, but that is often not the case in these situations. Where is the accountibility? She should get training BEFORE trying to be a teacher. Then she will get better results.

August 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Fiona

Emergency credential? My state used to issue those, allowing anyone with a university degree to teach sans training. I agree it's horrible for the kids.

August 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • mathteacher

As a 23 year veteran teacher of high school math, I can attest to the fact that AP Calculus is the easiest course to teach. These are the kids who care, and who can learn on their own, and they can learn from videos. This would not work for most students, where neither the skills nor the motivation is there to provide that level of success. And as for "anyone" with a college degree being hired to teach....this is just one of the many tragedies that have come upon our profession in recent years. A high school math teacher should have both a degree in education AND a major in mathematics.

August 25, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
      • Rose

You sound like my ap calc teacher. Expected us to learn, without actually teaching. I got fed up after six weeks, and asked my mother to buy me the calculus book our local community college used, which was set up as more self explanatory. I scored a 5. I was the only one. No one received a four, either.

August 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  30. yetanotherteacher

I have a question for the featured teachers. Have you tried this in non-AP classes? I ask because I teach English, and I teach both regular and AP classes. The level of motivation and commitment from my AP students is significantly greater than from my regular students. I would love to use this tool if it would better engage regular students, and not just benefit AP students the most.

August 25, 2012 at 11:16 am |
  31. Frank

Flipping is good for advanced self learners. It is very bad for lower level, at risk kids or those from disadvantaged families. It keaves them furthe behind

August 25, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  32. tmare

This sounds like a fabulous idea. I guess it works better for upper level courses. I teach middle school math and while I would be interested in doing this, not all of my students have the technology available to watch videos. I just sent a form home for e-mail addresses for parents and I discovered that over 15% of my students do not have internet access at home. Until every student is able to do this, I can't do it.

August 25, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Stacey Roshan

There are ways to get around the access issue. Some ideas would be putting material on USB drives or even burning DVDs (students without computers could watch on their TV)...

August 25, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • ncaljets

This is my issue as well. My 15 year old son has a Math class in which the book and all homework is online. He doesn't have access to a computer or a DVD player at his Dad's house. I had to contact the teacher to discuss this, and now my child has been singled out for something that is no fault of his own. I love the online ideas, but unfortunately schools can't make them mandatory unless they want to send a laptop home with every student.

August 25, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • AnotherAnnie

At the school where I worked, there was a small minority of students who did not have access to the Internet at home, and they were keeping many of the teachers from fully utilizing technology as a teaching tool. Then, they came up with the idea of opening a computer lab after school 2 days a week. Parents have to sign their children up (grades 6,7, and 8). The lab is supervised by a tech savvy employee, like our librarian, or teacher who has had additional training in integrated technology. The school provides late bus service for free. There is no costto the parent, and teachers only need to be sure online assignments span the covered days. Once that was in effect, students and parents were told their option included signing students up for after school lab or visiting the local library on their own time to complete work. With that, "I don't have Internet at home" became a non-excuse.

August 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
  33. forsafeworld

What I especially like about this educational method is that the students can go back and watch a video over and over until they get it. If a student is a bit tired in class and zones out for a minute they might miss an important concept. With a video, they can go back and view it again if they think they missed something. I imagine this would be a huge benefit right before a test, when a student could go back and review a concept they had difficulty with.

By preparing these videos in advance, and using them over and over for subsequent classes, a teacher can devote more time to actually working with students during class time. This probably also reduces time required for after-school one-on-one assistance for students, so that makes up for the time spent creating and updating videos.

Congratulations to innovative teachers who know that they too need to continue to learn throughout life.

August 25, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  34. CAMD

How much did these women get paid to post this infomercial?

August 25, 2012 at 10:35 am |
  35. Alex

I prefer this simply because I'm a fan of not wasting my time. I like learning at my own pace instead of the one-size fits all lectures that you get in grade school as well as college. Then again, I'm more of an independent learner. I prefer to attend class when I "need" to attend it and get answers to questions when I need it. I also feel like this is where teaching is headed. There really is no reason to have to sit in a classroom all day long and listening to tons of lecturing without much "doing".

August 25, 2012 at 10:02 am |
  36. aranoff

I made a comment, but when I had to log in, my comment was lost. I said, if I can remember what I said, that I, a math prof, do not give lecturers without getting feedback after each point. Here are some books: Teaching and Helping Students Think and Do Better; Rational Thinking, Government Policies, Science, and Living. Teachers must stress the principles and make sure the logic is clear.

August 25, 2012 at 8:57 am |
    • 13directors

Well I just took a math class last Spring and Summer and both were long and boring lecture classes. I wrote down everything they said and then went home and struggled. Personally, I need more and this year I'm taking a class for students like myself who excel in everything else but math. I'm non-traditional college student btw.
      As to the story, my daughter and I share this type of relationship and I couldn't be more grateful. She starts college in the Spring. The mother and daughter math teacher in this article are inspiring and should be applauded for caring so much.

August 25, 2012 at 9:33 am |
  37. aranoff

Many comments criticized "passively listening to lecturers." This is not how I teach. I am a university math prof. After I make a point, I check with the students that they understood it. I ask questions, rephrase the argument to see if they get it. Here are some books: Teaching and Helping Students Think and Do Better; Rational Thinking, Government Policies, Science, and Living. The material must be based upon clear principles and the logic must be sound.

August 25, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • 13directors

I simply loathe math lecture classes. Seems to me they work for students who really already know the content and just need to see you work through some problems to be sure.

August 25, 2012 at 9:36 am |
      • wayj

Math is a real-life, everyday activity. It should be taught with as many real-life activities as possible. Lectures may not be eliminated but they should at the very least be minimized. Students needs to see how math fits into their lives and do activities that support their daily usage. An hour long lecture on how to use a shovel may not get the point across but the blisters on the hands from using the shovel will. Same concept.

August 25, 2012 at 11:43 am |
  38. Loved Calc

Looking at Stacy, I can see why these kids had a hard time concentrating on calc. (in 1970 I got a 3 on the Calc AP exam)

August 25, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  39. JFS in IL

This is a great idea that reminds me of the math programs available to homeschoolers like Chalkdust, VideoText, and others. They are primarily taught with DVD presentations – each lesson is covered by an instructor using ample graphics and animations to work the problems. The big plus is, unlike a "live" teacher, the "teacher in a can" can be stopped and re-watched over and over until the student understands something. The parent, armed with a teacher's guide, provides live support as needed as the student completes the work.

I commend the teachers Roshan for flipping their classrooms! My one college son had a professor who "flipped" – but she relied on Khan Academy lessons rather than make her own, and my son felt cheated since it is a rather expensive college. The Roshans, by creating their own lessons, can tailor them to meet the needs of their students.

August 25, 2012 at 8:40 am |
  40. aetally

The idea behind flipping is more than for in-class tutoring. It allows the teacher to use class time for in-depth exploration that is key to true learning, which also leads to higher scores. Students become partners in their education rather than passive learners.

This high school flips all subjects and has had success not only with improved scores, but also with a reduction in absenteeism and dropout rates: http://www.flippedhighschool.com/

For teachers who need more info and peer support: http://flippedclassroom.org/

August 25, 2012 at 8:05 am |
  41. bytememoderator

I lie how my post was removed because I criticised the author and these to 'teachers'.

So much for an open forum. Also proves my point- these to chuckle heads are a good example of why our schools are failing.

August 25, 2012 at 5:46 am |
    • schooled

Yeah. I'm sure no teacher ever tried to teach you the difference between "to" and "two." I'm sure that's a teacher's fault. It's students like you who show why our schools are failing.

August 25, 2012 at 7:09 am |
    • Ev

Um ... Did you read the part about improved test scores and lower stress in the room? Or did you skip that altogether? The proof is in the pudding (or, as the original saying actually went, the proof of the pudding is in the eating).

Also—and I'm only doing something I otherwise find obnoxious because you implied that you somehow know better than those educating today:
      *two
      *criticized (unless you are British)
      *two

August 25, 2012 at 7:14 am |
    • Ev

Missed one: chucklehead

August 25, 2012 at 7:15 am |
  42. Justin H

Excellent article. I have to applaud any teacher who takes the risk to use a non-traditional method and then sees the risk pay off with improved student scores. One of the largest problems with the American education system is that it is not evolving enough as technology makes new methods possible and accessible.

August 25, 2012 at 3:21 am |
    • Justin H

Furthermore, this idea of "flipping" would probably work in a variety of subjects and levels. If advanced students could benefit, what about remedial students. Or mainstream students taking classed like chemistry, physics, biology, history, and so forth.

August 25, 2012 at 3:26 am |
  43. Jennie

Must be nice to teach in two wealthy school districts where students are very likely to have access to Internet and other technology and even have AP instructors who are qualified to teach. I'll start caring when this new teaching style starts helping kids in Appalachia or Baltimore City

August 25, 2012 at 3:20 am |
    • Justin H

This is an issue to take up with lawmakers who continually minimize education as a political bargaining chip. Rather than not caring because this doesn't benefit students where you live, maybe you need to forward articles like this to school administrators and politicians and ask them how they can make this kind of thing possible for students in your area. The education system is not going to improve by sitting back and waiting for improvements to happen. It will improve when parents and students stand up and demand more from those who provide the education.

August 25, 2012 at 3:24 am |
    • Wonder

If students have phones then they have access to the teachers videos. Students may appear to be poor at home (mine are) however very much have the technology at their fingertips to get the information. We just have to teach at the level that they are at. Technology is their future and teachers need to use it or lose them.

August 25, 2012 at 7:58 am |
    • Jalli

These ladies have the luxury of teaching in very exclusive private schools in which homework completion, parental support and access to technology, not to mention basic motivation to learn is not an issue. Not sure how this would worl in an average public school.

August 25, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Stacey Roshan

You might be interested in reading about Clintondale High School. Additionally, all of my AP Calculus videos are available in iTunes, for free. I have received notes from students who found them online and used them in preparing for the AP Calculus exam. I hope that the videos can reach more students in the future.

August 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  44. Andrew

What I don't understand is why are you flipping in the first place. If I'm paying to spend time outside the class time, I may as well learn it myself! If your going to teach, teach in the class, do your lectures and power point in class, not out of class! In fact I learn more on one and one and small groups than in large groups. Maybe you need to lower your class room size, or spend more time in the classroom and actually teach, or maybe lower the amount of required lessons for the classroom. What you doing is teaching people its ok to work outside of work time, when they do not get paid. Sorry but when I go to work my work is there not at home!

August 25, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • huh

Seriously? Did you ever take an AP course? Teachers don't get to decide how much material is covered...but it has to be covered. And students have to work both inside and outside the classroom a lot- so students are either doing homework outside the classroom or watching the lecture outside the classroom.

And most professionals– people that actually take AP Calculus are not hourly employees. MOST professionals work a lot, and not just 9 to 5. There is nothing wrong with that.

August 25, 2012 at 12:10 am |
    • Former Teacher

Andrew, you aren't getting the point. By having her students watch her lectures for homework instead of doing problems, they are getting more small group and one-on-one time. And when teaching an AP class, certain things must be covered by the time students take the exam in early May, so yes, they do have quite a bit of work outside of class. Getting a high enough score earns them college credit, so really this course should be looked at as though it is 1st semester Calculus/English/History, any class actually. So the expectations are really college level expectations.

And, I feel sorry for you if you feel that you do your job only during job hours. Very few careers out there are like that.

On a side note, the whole flipping thing was confusing because it of the presentation. Read more like your mom may have taught different level classes and your went from AP Calc to a different classes, hence different population of students. The flipping of actual instructional time was not clear until nearly the end of the article. Could use some better writing skills. Former English teacher here.

August 25, 2012 at 12:15 am |
      • Mark

Your writing skills are a bit weak here as well. Re-read your post.

August 25, 2012 at 2:28 am |
    • Jenn

For starters they're teaching high school, not college and most AP classes only have 10-15 students – typically. Secondly, they're AP classes so they're college level classes on a high school format. Third, there's an insane amount of material to cover with nearly no leeway or buffer time built in. By flipping their classes, they've allowed the students to not only have less stress but to allow themselves to teach more one on one with their students. In such classes one on one or small group is preferred. By flipping their classes they've fixed it so that the "traditional" homework is done in the classroom decreasing the amount of actual homework done at home and allowing them to ask for help as they need it rather than sleeping on it over night and potentially forgetting their questions the next morning. It also builds a better teacher-student relationship, especially because the students can not only see but experience how much their teachers really do want them to succeed.

August 25, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • blessedgeek

Andrew, you are outdated obsolete The world doesn't need you anymore, soon.

When technicians, operators or even engineers are met with a new process – they would rather watch videos and slides at speed which they can control. Then they would want instructional sessions together with the instructor.

Ask any Engineering student and ask them if they would prefer sitting in a lecture hall listen to a lecture or browsing an instructional web site/video at their own pace where they could pause and look up a book or web site or wikepedia for concept they need clarified.

You are stuck to an old model. You are like my childhood friend's mother. She needed a size 10 pair of shoes. Her mother said size 10 and size 16 cost the same? Why not get size 16? You just want to get your money's worth without caring whether it is effective or not. That the teacher should be there yakking away ineffectively because that is what you feel she was paid to do.

I don't know which industry you work for – but I certainly wouldn't want you to be my colleague.

August 25, 2012 at 3:26 am |
    • jessica

I agree with the other responders, you must not have had the experience of taking a course in which there is so much information that the teacher can barely fit all of it into the allotted time for class. Flipping is a brilliant way of giving them the information while also allowing them time to put it into practice with their peers and teacher present to answer questions. They will be doing work outside of the classroom regardless. It is just a matter of which part of the work they do at home. Furthermore, if you have a "job" that does not require you to do any work at home, then you do not have a profession. By taking AP courses these students are preparing for a profession. Most professions do require quite a lot of work and preparation outside of the workplace. Our students need to work hard now so that they are prepared to work hard in their future endeavors. We as Americans, need to prepare our students to be the kind of employees who employers want to hire.

August 25, 2012 at 8:01 am |
    • Deb

With all due respect... the teacher has zero control over the number of students in her class.

I think flipping is a fabulous idea! It takes the passive portion of the class (students listening to lecture) and moves it outside and then the students can spend the ENTIRE class asking questions and receiving clarification. What a great idea.

August 25, 2012 at 8:11 am |
      • 13directors

Exactly.

August 25, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • julibear

Andrew, did you never have HOMEWORK while you were in school? The term 'flipping' means to flip the lecture to homework and do the homework in the class so the students have support while they are actually working through the problems. BTW, you dont get paid to go to school, period!
      I was a total math failure in highschool, and I think this would have worked for me. I would have watched lectures at home rather than fearing and shunning the homework that scared me so. I never did an assignment and thus failed several math classes. Being able to do the work in class with teachers and other students would have helped me so much.

August 25, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • Giordi

In addition to the points made by others, you need to realize that teachers don't get to lower their own class size numbers. Districts and building administrators, as well as enrollment numbers, determine class size. If teachers got to choose our own class size, none of us would want more than 20 or 25.

August 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Athos

And it shows.

August 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  45. X39

I think I'd like to flip this article. It's not very helpful that the concept of "flipping" is first mentioned and hinted at in the fifth paragraph. If "flipping" means breaking from traditional methods of teaching and employing other learning and study aids to communicate information, I think that's worthy of mention in the introductory paragraph.

August 24, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Fiona

I agree. I read through this thinking "what the...?". As for the concept? Lazy. If you find teaching too stressful, find another job. You are paid to instruct, not to run study group.

August 24, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
      • Andy

Lazy? Did you read the part where the teacher still delivers every single lecture, but the students watch it at home at their leisure rather than in the classroom? And where the performance went drastically up? What point are you trying to make here? Teachers should do things in a way that makes YOU comfortable, even though you have nothing to do with it?

August 25, 2012 at 2:46 am |
      • 13directors

Fiona come on, she clearly said they she says that after finding that her students were still struggling she pursued other methods that were engaging yet appropriate. I tell you who's lazy. The teacher that never adapts another method, who drones on year after year with little improvement over the last year. I get sick thinking about it. I always seemed to get those teachers when I was a kid.

August 25, 2012 at 9:43 am |
      • Alex

It's lazy, it's actually being smart. Some students (like myself) do better when I can hit the pause button on a lecture instead of just listening to someone speak all day long. I like being hands on where I can listen to a few minutes of lecture, then work on a problem, then go back to the lecture. I sometimes feel like people prefer to waste time then get things done. It's no different in the work world with all the bs meetings and things like that. If the whole point is to learn then using class time to answer questions makes a lot more sense then listening to someone teach something that you can find in a book.

August 25, 2012 at 10:05 am |
      • Alex

...meant to say it's "not" lazy...quite the opposite.

August 25, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • huh

Flipping means moving homework time into the classroom, and lecture into the evening when you would normally be doing homework instead. This way the students can watch the video before, or many times before, and then teacher is helping students DO the work when she's present.

August 25, 2012 at 12:07 am |
  46. OkayMan

Lemme tell you something, I am going to start treating teachers like I do our military personnel. They are heroes. That is a calling and a great service to our communities. Besides I don't want no dumb bunnies breaking my house and getting LL Cool J'ed.

August 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  47. Michael

I'm still trying to find the part where they flipped classes. Did the mom's class like the daughter as a teacher better? I'm missing something here.

August 24, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • Randall "texrat" Arnold

The teaching is done largely outside the class, via the videos that students can watch whenever. "Homework" is done in the classroom.

August 24, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • huh

They did not flip roles. What both teachers did was flip the order of traditional teaching. Usually students do homework at home and have a lecture in class; when its flipped, the students do homework in class, and have the lecture at home (on video).

August 25, 2012 at 12:12 am |
  48. Smart Potato

This is a terrific article... as a student, I was frustrated at "behind-the-times" teachers. As a teacher going on 20 years, I was a bit stubborn about new technology. But if you love to teach, find the right cohort (in this case, her DAUGHTER? How awesome!), embracing new technology is nothing but some time, if you open your mind.

Your students respect you because you are "hip"; you are constantly a student, which makes you a better teacher; and last, you actually IMPROVE both your work, and their lives as students!

Thank you for sharing!

August 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Guest

This is nothing new – when I was a student, we read the book! Nowadays, our young people don't (or won't) read.

August 24, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
  50. i_spit_at_you

the land of the naked where even teachers are depicted in sleeveless shirts even when they are middle-aged. what do these pathetic americans think? that they are all marilyn monroe.

August 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • Reader

Those two are not in the classroom in that picture. There are no professional dress codes for people in their free time. There is also nothing provocative about their dress.

August 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Andres

Nice to see you're focusing more on their clothing than the article at hand.

August 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Neil F.

Because we don't beat our women and force them to wear burqas, when we see a quarter inch of skin on a woman's arm, it doesn't blow our mind and cause us to not be able to concentrate, and displease allah. Or whatever your ridiculous beliefs are that made you comment on something so insignificant. You should spit yourself in the face.

August 24, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Stacy Labbe

Hello???? How behind the times are you? What's wrong with sleeveless teachers. Where are your priorities?

August 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • OpinionsToGo

These two women appear to be dressed very professionally and their clothes would be suitable in the classroom or the boardroom. Please concentrate on the message in the article.

August 25, 2012 at 12:11 am |
  51. Sarvis

Flipping the classroom has been around for decades. It is making a resurgence now that technology can replace books.

August 24, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • freelance7

But the good thing about this example is they could use the word flipping in every other sentence.

August 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  52. Autar

Flipping is a good idea as it at least gets students to spend more time on the course. But, please do not give up on guided instruction if you are good at it. Show me evidence based research where guided instruction is shown to be worse than discovery approach and whatever, and you will make me a believer.

August 24, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  53. wm h cooper

WOW exceptionally efficient use of time. the high investment of time in the video plortion of will pay-off in the future re-run of the teaching process. Videos can be edited, modified (with better examples)...

August 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  54. Jrich74

I didn't know that this was called "flipping the classroom", but I started nursing school this week and our instructor is following this format as well. I am thrilled!

August 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  55. Gideon Akinremi

To enjoy life in full dimention, the best is to embrace a change, but it must be positive.

August 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  56. Red Apple Mom

This is a fantastic story – all the more so for me because I am a neighbor to the Madeira School. I'll be on the look-out for this type of instruction for my own kids someday. Thank you for taking the time to write this column!

August 24, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
  57. dataset

I think this article needs to include a little explanation about what "flipping" is. That being said, I think this is a great idea for some students, particularly those who have the technological tools to access the videos, and are in classes geared for advanced placement courses (AP); it is likely that the students in this class are highly motivated to achieve academically. However, not all students have the technological tools required to see the videos, nor do they have the discipline to work at home. So many students really do use class time to hear a lecture and do some homework. Ideal? No. But, it is often the reality of the social environment.
    The best teachers find what works not just for them, but also what works best for their students.

August 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Tobi

"Flipping the Classroom" is a concept developed by Sal Khan who began the Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The idea is that instead of spending time in class passively listening to lectures, instead the students can watch the videos outside of class, and class time with the instructor can be spent more actively interacting with students, engaging in practice activities, group work, etc.

August 24, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
      • Autar

Sal Khan did not start the inverted classroom movement. It gets it be as early as 2001.

August 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
      • guster4lovers

It's actually from Jon Bergmann and Aaron Sams from Woodland Park, Colorado. They just wrote a book called Flip Your Cass. This all happened seven years ago – long before KA.

August 25, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  58. Rinsewind

I can see this working in some types of classes, but not in others. You can spend time working through math problems together in class, fine. But what about something like a history class? Sure, you can have time for questions and more in depth discussion of events, but that's usually an integral part of a history class anyway. It's not like you can sit and work through history problems in class every day.

August 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Ev

In my high school American History class, our teacher had us read the assignment at home. Then, during class, he would deliver lectures with the basis, "Okay, I know what your books said. Now I'm going to tell you what REALLY happened/what they left out." It was awesome.

August 25, 2012 at 7:25 am |
  59. Amanda

The best part about something like this is that parents can watch the videos too. They will not only know what their kids are learning, they may pick it up enough to be able to help with homework. My mom hated math homework times because she would get frustrated with the "new math" This could be a great took for any level, not just AP. I am DEFINITELY adding this to my teacher toolbox!

August 24, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Stacey Roshan

Thanks so much! I have been working on building my new Algebra 2 course this summer, and my mom and I are recording the videos together. I have also used videos with an Algebra 1 class I taught, but used them quite differently. It's all about customizing to the needs of the individual class.

August 24, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
  60. Bob

Reminds me of the interviews some years ago with the founder of Khan Academy, after funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The idea of flipping appeared to be a future goal. My wife and I really enjoy perusing that website and watching videos on topics we were introduced to when we were kids.

August 24, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  61. Ryan Harney

this make sense to me

August 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  62. Physics Teacher

I am planning to flip my AP class this year. This means I am creating lesson videos (nothing longer then 15 minutes so far) that can be watched outside of class (along with other types of media that teaches the same material) off a class website.

Then in class, we will spend more time working on the homework in class. (which is where the students need the most help from each other and the teacher)

Same amount of work and lessons, just rearranged to maximize the amount of time students can collaborate with classmates and instructor.

August 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
  63. wysiwyg

I would be so annoyed with this format. This would mean I have to spend 1 hr watching the whole lecture, then 1 hour sitting through class when he traditional way was 1 he lecture and 30 minutes or less working the homework. I could do so much stuff I like in those 30 minutes, such as basketball practice instead of being stuck in class when I have no questions.

August 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • confused

Their class is not 1.5 hours. It's 45 minutes.

August 24, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • Stacey Roshan

Remember my goal: to decrease student anxiety in the classroom. And students report spending less time with homework than they did in the past. Videos are not required nightly.
      -Stacey

August 24, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
      • Stacey Roshan

Corrected link to my blog if you'd like to read more...

August 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  64. Frank

This is a very poorly *wriiten* article. You have to assume what flipping a classroom means because it is not explained. We never hear if it workrd for the mother, too.

I am in agreement with the other commenters...what if all the other teachers decide to flip their classrooms? Will the students have 5-6 hours of homeork (vidoe lectures) each night?

August 24, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Frank

Sorry for thr double post.

August 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Frank

Sorry for the double post.

August 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • TEEEE

The mother said that 80% of her class scored a 4 or 5 on that AP exam, with half the class earning a perfect score.

August 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
      • just sayin'

If my parents were paying the kind of tuition it costs to go to Bullis, you'd better believe I'd need to be scorin' high on those tests

August 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
  65. Frank

This is a very poorly written article. It maybe the editor's fault but how is anybody supposed to know what it means to flip a classroom?

We don't know if it worked for the mother as well.

I'm also in agreement with the other commentators... is it really practical if all teachers flipped their classes? Will the students have 5 to 6 hours of homework (video lectures) each night?

August 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  66. 1nsite

Not everyone is great at math so being able to slow down and repeat a lecture at your own pace is a good idea. Kids can watch them during breaks if they're available on iTunes. Great results and great job on these teacher.

August 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  67. phrozen6

Awesome mother-daughter story!! It's great to read that even the seasoned teachers are being convinced to introduce technology in the classroom. With this newer generation connected with all sort of gadgets at the hip, it is absolutely necessary for these hype-integrations which keep students engaged and active participants in receiving their education.

*cheers to a successful school year*

August 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  68. chrisliehmann

Amazing story! I am a huge fan of technology integration in the classroom and at home. My two nephews just got on a practice game that claims to adapt to each student's emotions. Pretty cool stuff! Technology will only help the flipped teaching/flipped instruction!

I believe the game is called Prodigy and I think its a company based out of Canada called SMARTeacher. Their website (if I have it right) is http://www.smarteacher.ca if you want to check it out

August 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  69. ClassLink

Excellent story. We can't deny the fact that there are times that some students are having a hard time catching up with what's going on in the discussions, and this could be a viable solution – to utilize technology and innovation for education.

August 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  70. Andrew

Hmmm. I am a math major and this is fine as long as it is not mandatory. I did just fine with traditional learning enivronments, and never appreciated being forced to do something extra that was unnecessary for me because the rest of the class needed it. Frankly, if they don't get it in class there are plenty or resources (including the teacher) to use outside of established class time. I guess this comes back to holding people accoutable for themselves and asking them to have initiative to make themselves successful.

August 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • rh

Students are expected to read the text outside of the classroom, and do homework before attending class. That's enough.

It is one thing to record your lectures for student reference, quite another to require them to view the lectures and then be like "any questions?" when you actually get to school. I teach freshman college courses, and most students really need the progression, and opportunity for feedback, that lecturing provides.

What she is doing is making it a heck of a lot easier for herself, perhaps giving a few students a better experience, but not serving the rest of the students who need in class lectures with opportunities to give feedback.

August 24, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
      • Terri

"Flipping" a classroom basically means instead of doing the lecture during class it is done at home and the practical application or homework is done in class with the teacher. This is actually a highly successful teaching technique. Usually the at home lecture is 15 or 20 minutes since the teacher is being asked questions or being interrupted or being asked to repeat something they said. It also allows the student to re-hear the material as many times as they need it.

What annoyed me most about school we were given a reading assignment for homework and most of the time we would re-read through the pages again in class with each student reading passages instead having a discussion about the material. In the case of math and science a lot of times you would only get to see the example math problem or experiment once or maybe twice. Now they can view it multiple times and during the classroom time you can either get the one on one time if needed or complete the practical application of what you were supposed to learn.

August 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
      • science teacher

So what if it makes it "easier on her as the teacher"? Didn't her students scores improve as well? And as a teacher with background in this method, a good teacher doesn't just start class with "any questions?". Instead class is started with an informal assessment on that material to grasp how well they understood the material – just as one would after an on person lecture.
        Also, for those who say it would be impossible for a student to do this if all their classes were flipped, videos that most teachers create are ~15 min each – so not even two hours with a normal class load.

August 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  71. Grace

I love this idea, but with one caveat. It has to be done with only one or two classes at a time on the high school level, or else students won't have time to watch all of the lectures every night.

August 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Stacey Roshan

Thanks for the comment. Students are not watching videos every night. Also, they report spending less time with homework now than they did in the past.
      -Stacey

August 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
      • Terri

Stacy – I am so excited to see this type of teaching being done at the high school level. Several years ago (late 1990s and early 2000s) I was an IT facilitator at a University to bring technology into the classroom. I spent many hours with professors video-taping and power pointing their lectures and showing them how to put them into the virtual classroom. They really enjoyed the change in their classroom and their students flourished. I hope you are able to convert even more of your co-workers to this way of teaching - it definitely relieves the stress on students and increases their knowledge and understanding of the material.

August 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
      • Grace

It would have helped me a lot when I was in school. I used to love math, but only when it was taught by someone willing to make the effort with one on one time to help me understand what was going on. Otherwise it was torture.

August 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
  72. Dream

Be a students, I am happy and welcome teachers to give some new teaching formats. It is quite boring to use power point.
    Math is a boring subject. If teachers usually keep talking the theories, I believe that students will fall as sleep. Giving more group works and practices are also good for students to learn.

August 24, 2012 at 8:18 am |