September 30th, 2012

Bullied Michigan teen shines as homecoming princess

By Chris Welch, CNN

West Branch, Michigan (CNN) - Whitney Kropp, the teen thrust into the spotlight after her peers nominated her for the school homecoming court as a prank, attended coronation Friday night surrounded by cheering fans.

Donning a red dress, she beamed as she clutched a bouquet of flowers.

"I had thoughts about not coming [still tonight]," the 16-year-old told reporters after halftime of the homecoming game.

"I just thought maybe I won't have fun, but ... I'm having actually a lot of fun right now."

"I'm so happy - this is so much right now for me," she added.

FULL STORY
Posted by
Filed under: Bullying • Character education • High school • Practice • video
  1. Brandon

Its a good thing she stood up for herself and what she likes to do.

October 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  2. Journie99

Whitney, I like that you stood up for yourself and went to the homecoming anyway. I also like the article because it shows people that you shouldn't be afraid to stand up for yourself. I hate that the 'school ' was involved with the prank. Why would a school be involved with a prank if teachers and principals try to help prevent bullying? In that case, the teachers and principals that were involved should have been sued and fired. That is so wrong!!! GO WHITNEY!!!!!!!!

Sincerly, Journie

October 3, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • Durzan

I voted for her.

October 5, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  3. Shelby

That is so sad what country do we even live in? Bullying is a serious matter but people take it like a joke!

October 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  4. lemonella

Congratulations to Whitney who

October 1, 2012 at 10:54 am |
  5. marcelino

i think that it is fair they let a person who is not popular do something fun.

October 1, 2012 at 8:36 am |
  6. Bailey

I really thought that it was really wrong to bully her, but at last she made the best of it. Its just terrible that people would even think of doing that! I hope it never happens to me

September 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  7. bvckvs

The Tea Party Republicans could take a lesson in character from her.

September 30, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • knickerbockerflat

Good job of working politics into an unrelated matter.

October 1, 2012 at 12:16 am |
  8. Melody Clarke

Miss Whitney,

I saw your story and cannot believe such a beautiful girl (inside and out) is being bullied. Hold your head high my friend, you are wise beyond your years and with your gusto, have more potential than those snibbling jealous brats in your community. To all those being bullied out there: Remember: What goes around comes around. Wishing you all the best to soar beyond all your dreams you even imagined.

September 30, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  9. Scott

The best thing for this young lady to do was to show up and follow through. The kids that thought they were pulling one over her surely must be thinking differenty. The society that we live in now has no room for such behavior and hopefully some if not all of those kids have realized this.

This young lady is going to go on to many bigger and better things and this is a stepping board to her future. Way to go Whitney! This former Michigander is very proud of you!

September 30, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  10. jules

I wonder if this young woman has any idea how many young (and not so young) people she has inspired? By walking onto that field, her head held high, smiling, happy, she made a giant step for children (and adults) everywhere. She is proof you don't have to bow down or give in to the bullies. Stand tall, stand strong, be proud of who you are. You will never be alone. Every child/adult who has been bullied is standing right there with you. You are standing up for all of us. You took the lemons thrown your way and made the best lemonade possible.
    You, Whitney have the "stuff" that heroes are made of. I, an one of many cheering you on!

September 30, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  11. Andrew

Nice truck at 2:03

September 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  12. guru8080

I was worried she wouldn't show after how it all happened and the media attention. She is a beautiful girl, inside and out, and I hope all those that tried to hurt her realize how pathetic they are. She has shown how strong she is and handled everything perfectly. Good on you sister! Hold your head high, you have shown maturity well beyond your years and way beyond your classmates.

September 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Greg Howard

Well put.

September 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  13. Betty

Unbelieveable breech of conduct/ethics by that school bus driver. She should have pulled over and re-established safety on her bus. What kind of adult simply allows such a thing to continue in the name of keeping the BUS SCHEDULE??? My school district would have had her head on a platter. Good luck with her Union protecting THAT. I'm a school teacher, and I'm just stunned at her pathetic lack of action. Does she have no conscience? No children? No grandchildren? The teens are a waste of genetic material without question, but she should be ashamed of herself for her apathy and complacency. Her heart should weigh heavy with shame.

September 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
  14. J. Goldberg

Whitney ~ You are the winner here! You beat those pranksters at their own game! You continue to go forward and shine! Continue to believe in yourself~ Wishing you a happy future.

September 30, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  15. Roger Hoyt

Talk about making lemonade from a lemon!!
    Good for you, Little Miss Kropp. What a wonderful role model you are–not just for your peers, but for us all.
    I admire you, your courage and your maturity. I don't think this experience made you a better person, because, obviously, you were already a great person; but, you made us all better people.
    I wish you love, happiness and good fortune your whole life through.

September 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm |