November 2nd, 2012

School board member wants football ban

By John Martin, CNN

(CNN) - A New Hampshire school board member says that he wants to ban football in his district. Paul Butler, a retired surgeon and first-term board member for the Dover school district, says that the risks of injury in the sport are too great. "I think it's bad to take this away I certainly do. But it's worse to let it continue," Dr. Butler told CNN affiliate WHDH.

The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn’t just call football a contact sport. The medical group also refers to it as a collision sport, because participants routinely slam into each other or into the ground.

AAP released updated guidelines in 2010 on dealing with head injuries in children, recommending that some student-athletes retire from football after multiple concussions or if symptoms from a concussion last longer than three months.

The medical group doesn’t say young people shouldn’t play varsity football, which is what it said about youth boxing in 1997.

Some parents say there are benefits to playing on the gridiron. "I think there's a lot of positive things you can get from playing football. A lot of good lessons kids learn, teamwork, working together for a common goal," Harold Stephens says in the video above.

The National Federation of State High School Associations is the rule-making body for many high school sports and activities. According to NFHS's web site, research shows that students who participate in “more vigorous sports,” including football, do better than their peers in some subjects, including math and science.

The organization says it recognizes the significance of brain injuries in sports. "The NFHS has been the leader among national sports organizations in establishing guidelines to deal with concussions," the organization says on its web site. NFHS says that more than 200,000 people have taken its online course on concussions, which can be accessed for free at www.nfhslearn.com.

Dr. Butler, who played football in high school and college, told CNN Radio that he's concerned about potential lawsuits over football injuries. "My worry is that if we have this information....about how dangerous concussions are, and we continue to fund the program, it seems to me that we are encouraging something that is morally and ethically wrong. It could put a school at financial risk so we don't have enough money to educate the children," Dr. Butler said.

We want to know your thoughts. Would you let your child play football? Why or why not?

Posted by
Filed under: Kids' health • Policy • Sports
  1. Jorge

Hey, let's not ban concussive sports practiced during formative years for the sake of beer-gut spectator parents Let's ban the protective gear. That way Darwin can run it's course and the gene-pool can clean up a little bit...

November 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  2. Jorge

Ah's ginst bannin' foobau in schoo' cause ah wint ta collich awn foobau, an' nau ahm a manniger at Futlokka, also, ahm ginst bannin' foobau 'cause......da mahn is a tewwible thang.

November 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  3. Sarah Caldwell

Of course, they do better than some students in math and science and other subjects. Kids who can't pass can't play so those students who know the least (I didn't say dumbest) or are unwilling to demonstrate their knowledge never play sports.

November 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  4. barpinteqew

I like here!Because give me more knowlegdge!TKS!

November 7, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  5. download mp3

Helpful info. Lucky me I found your web site accidentally, and I'm shocked why this coincidence did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

November 7, 2012 at 7:07 am |
  6. kids room

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my site so i came to go back the prefer?.I am attempting to find things to improve my site!I assume its ok to make use of some of your ideas!!

November 7, 2012 at 2:04 am |
  7. Joe

My name is Joe and I be a schmo! I love to blow...and dem dudes do know...that when I pump dat rump there be a chump with a big ol stump...now I be plump! All dem dongs...dem big ol schlongs..dey be long...I sing u a song! My rear be red...pounded all day in bed...by Bob and Ted...I got da street cred!!

November 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  8. Anton

My boy gonna grow up to be a big p@ssy like me! I didn't play those agressive sports and I turned out just fine.

Aahhhhhhhhhh, what the??? Oh, sorry...that was just a little field mouse that crossed my path. Anyway, as I was saying boys don't need football, baseball, basketball, soccer, track and field.....well, maybe track so they can run from all the bullies/chicks that will beat them up!!..maybe they can find a hobby like arts and crafts!! See ya!!

November 4, 2012 at 6:39 am |
  9. ruth

Pud wackin! Pud smakin! I do it with my floppy pancake ti ies!!
    It be cool. I be rulin! C'mon and plaaaaay.

November 4, 2012 at 6:25 am |
  10. Mark McCune

This is probly the stupidest idea I have heard of in a long time. Should we ban Hockey, Basketball, Volleyball, Wrestling, physical education. All because there is a potential for injury in any or all sports. I agree football is a high contact sport. But if your playing with a stick, a baseball, or running around on a court your at risk for injury. I knew this because I blew out my knee in 10th grade. I couldn't play sports for over a year, had to have my knee repaired 3 more times and was told next time it gets replaced. I wasn't playing football or hockey I was playing high-school basketball. I walk with a slight limp. Its not the sports fault someone tripped me. Teaching good sportsmanship & camaraderie and making some of the best friends I could have ever made. I wouldn't change a thing.
    In hockey they skate around with a stick swinging it at a puck making it go some 70-80 mph when they hit it. I'm going to bet that puck does more damage to the head or body than football or basketball to knees. Common sense and good techniques make getting hurt a much lower risk for any sport.

November 4, 2012 at 5:10 am |
    • MCR

There's a difference between injuring your wrist and your brain. We aren't seeing an explosion of 60 year old volleyball players with early onset dementia; we are seeing that with football.

November 4, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
  11. Anton

My child would never ever play football

This is from a male growing up playing sports.

I value my child's thinking more than I value his hitting ability.

November 4, 2012 at 4:20 am |
    • Joe

Obviously you didn't play football...

November 4, 2012 at 4:40 am |
      • MCR

Why, because his brain's still capable of understanding statistical analysis as applied to health data?

November 4, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  12. bigdedalus

hi all

November 4, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • bigdedalus

What up ya'll? I love to pound da poooper chute!! Do you? That would be sweet!! Let's play hide the pickle...

November 4, 2012 at 4:55 am |
  13. Stoolie

And the pussification of America continues. Viva la stool.

November 3, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  14. Cassius

Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of deads around American football... oh wait, thats regular football.

November 3, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  15. Ian

There are more concussion that occur in soccer, we should ban that. Dover girls basketball had more concussions occur than Dover football, we should ban that. Why not ban all sports because all have risk and along with that the lets ban the life lessons sport can teach are youth?

November 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • MCR

Actually, there are more in football. But yes, heading the ball should be banned; it's not necessary to soccer and adds no fitness benefit.

November 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  16. ruth

I can not fix stupid..parents who allow their children to continue to play this or any other contact sport are stupid.why not just hit you child with a bat a few times

November 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • MCR

The thing is, the parents won't be the ones who have to take care of Johnny when he gets Alzheimer's at 63; it'll be Johnny's kids.

November 3, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
      • Jorge

No MCR, the real issue is that Johnny will get the chance to pass on his daddy's stupid-@$$&d genes before his brains turn to poo...

November 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Joe

Before you call someone stupid, check your grammar.

November 4, 2012 at 4:42 am |
      • Innocent

Yes, the gloves have a skctiy grip that are intended to help you catch the football, or help you grab onto another player. As a result, they are good for weightlifting as we can throw around 300, 400+ lbs.

November 15, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • ruth

I iz a clueless lezzy! Any dykos wanna hook up and partee down?? I got da super sized strap-onBB

November 4, 2012 at 5:01 am |
  17. Violet

Ignorant sports fans, Just can't wait to get the kids heads bashed in hopes of making milions. What A shame such stupidity exists.

November 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • MCR

Accepting that your kid will get brain damage playing football means accepting that you yourself have damage from your own years playing. Most don't want to face that reality.

November 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
      • Ad2

That's why you have an option, that option is don't let your kids play. :)

November 3, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
      • MCR

@Ad2, I'd also like to avoid paying for the nursing homes for yourkids. when they get early onset dementia.

November 6, 2012 at 7:52 am |
  18. hypatia

Another officios moron speaks. What a dork!

November 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  19. Joetta

My son 11, has played since he was 6 and would be devasted if football was taken away. True there are risks, but there is risks driving down the highway everyday too.

November 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • MCR

I'm sure if you'd given him opium since he was s ix he'd be devastated at losing that too. Have you ever spent ten years caring for someone with Alzheimer's? Let him play football and his wife may live through that hell for 20.

November 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
      • Joe

May... live a life without sports sitting on the couch and you MAY have heart problems...

November 4, 2012 at 4:45 am |
      • MCR

@Joe, Do you really believe the two choices are football and couch surfing?

November 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Jorge

Get him into soccer or basketball until his bone-ends harden completely, they are team sports and they're better for his growing body and stamina anyway. When he grows up his body will be hardened, and he can take up football, martial arts, powerlifting, whatever he's good for.

November 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  20. Brutus Rockenheimer

What the @*# ?? Where did this freak come from spoutin off about all this fairy *#%¥!!!! I am sick and tired of these trolls ruining a perfectly good topic!! If I could get my hands around this troll.....I would mess him up real bad!! Then I would but-slam him sooo hard, he would be seein stars!!!

November 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Joe

Butt slam?

November 4, 2012 at 4:43 am |
      • Joe

I wanna get butt slammed too! Can someone ram me in da pooop chute?? It would be coool if I had a sore cornholio!!

November 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  21. Marty Thomas

I would absolutely let my child play football. Personally I feel there are too many positives surrounding the sport to abolish it. Children who do play the more "vigorous" sports seem to be healthier, happier, and overall more prepared for the world that will be presented before them in their future. I see no difference in allowing a child to play football and allowing a 16 year old kid drive a car with maybe the exception of a collision in a vehicle is a lot more violent. I think our youth is restricted and sad enough and with the nature of the economy maybe physical education should make its way back in schools. We do need to prepare our kids for a likely possibility of hard labor in their future and I simply don't see how being more reliant on computers, shoving high fructose corn syrup down their throats, and abolishing physical sports are going to ultimately make for healthier, happier and more prepared children.

November 3, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • Jorge

"Vigorous" sport??? Most of the pudgy lard@$$&s I've seen playing football can't hold a candle to soccer players and basketball players as far as speed, agility and stamina. They also can't hold a candle to powerlifters and Olympic lifters in terms of explosive power. You might as well teach your son to run into the wall and bend over in 60 second reps, see how far that gets him.

November 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  22. Jill

Any of you lezzys wanna hook up and get craaazy?? I got da monster sized strap-on....we can use da special double sided dil-do and ram each other silly!! Let's get down and get bizzzzy!! I will make you dizzzy!!

November 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  23. J Robert

460!! 460!! 460!! I be number 460!!! Oh yeah oh yeah! You iz all looosers! Oyyyy

November 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  24. J Robert

Let's ban football. It is soo rough and violent. There is no place for these injuries amongst our young men. Instead let's steer them toward male cheerleading, or even the flag team!! They will have minimal injuries in these sports!!!

November 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • just saying

Soon these people wanting to ban football will find a problem with every sport and probably cry to ban them all. What do they want for their children to sit in front of a tv watching or playing video games? That'll keep them from getting hurt on the field til they get obese from doing nothing!

November 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • MCR

Cheerleading is one of the only sports that has historically been as dangerous as football. It had a higher death rate for a while, but they changed the rules and things improved. Injuries cannot be fully avoided, but head injuries must be. You don't have to ban football, onlymake a few modifications to protect the head.

November 3, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  25. J Robert

Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    I luv u jig-a-boooooooooooooo!!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!
    Cooons! Cooons! Cooons! Cooons!

November 3, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  26. J Robert

Pillow bitin...fudge a packin...cornholio railin...pump a rump...tea-baggin...knob schlob....mushroom head polisher....sit n' spin....yeaaahhh!! Try it, you may like it!!!!

November 3, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Ralph M

Is that what your sneaky uncle taught you at night?

November 3, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  27. J Robert

These craaazy neeegs! I just want to get a train a rolling. I be in da middle, so I can swap around. I wanna a bunch of different dudes poundin my hole! Then I take da caboose and rock dat railcar...I think roleplayin is fun for all!!!

November 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  28. J Robert

I like dem cooons with coqs so large...I take dat niggg then I take charge! I bend him over my couch and whip it out...then I start to scream and shout! Once I'm done he pounds my chute...with all dat spooo I start to toot. With bros so large I get real sore...I be walkin bowlegged for ever more!!!

November 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  29. J Robert

Who ever the fool is that is also using the name J Robert, anyone that has seen my other posts will know the garbage drive you are posting does not originate from me

November 3, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • J Robert

Drivel rather. Also the avatar is different

November 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
      • J Robert

Just joking. I have two different avatars! I been poundin da pooop chute for years! Any of you fruits dat wanna partyee down, drop me your digits. I will schlob your knob for a dolla!!

November 3, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  30. dance a jig

Jig-a-booo! Jig-a-booo! We luv u!
    Jig-a-booo! Jig-a-booo! We luv u!
    Jig-a-booo! Jig-a-booo! We luv u!
    Jig-a-booo! Jig-a-booo! We luv u!
    Jig-a-booo! Jig-a-booo! We luv u!
    Jig-a-booo! Jig-a-booo! We luv u!

November 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  31. J Robert

Ok, so I was totally into dudes in high school. Me and a couple other in da closet pals used to pack dat fudge like no other!! We didn't hang with da jocks...being an outsider was tough...but schlobin a big ol knob was sweeeet! I could polish a tool, clean up da drool and still make it in school! Fruits iz people too!!!

November 3, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  32. Holly

My sons, ages 12 and 13, play Pop Warner football and would be totallt devistated if it were taken away at the high school level. After several years at the youth level the injuries we've seen are broken bones, not concussions. Lately Pop Warner has taken safety seriously and is teaching boys techniques that avoid head injuries.

November 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  33. Jill

The issue isn't about bad behavior by pro athletes people. The question is whether the benefits of organized sports out weigh the risks. My daughters are gymnasts and we are aware of the risks. The boost in self esteem and confidence is amazing. The grade requirements help reinforce my demand for good grades and it occupies their time. Isn't the premise for afterschool activities to keep kids out of trouble?

November 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Jenny L

Thank you Jill. Your post is 100% correct. I played basketball in school and my daughter did the same. All parents know the risk and we worry, but my daughter made good grades and stayed out of trouble. She is now in her second semester of College to be a nurse. Most schools are taking the information about sports and injuries seriously and teaching the children how to avoid those injuries.

November 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  34. Crystal

I vote ban football! I want more lez-bo sports...so us dy-ko types can mow da lawn and chow down on some nassssty box!! We is da butch types and be fugly....but we can pound it hard with our big ol strap ons!!!

November 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  35. Spence

Boon cooon! Boon cooon! Whatcha gonna do?? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?? Jig-a-booo. Jig-a-booo. Whatcha gonna do?? Whatcha gonna do when they all lynch you!!!!

November 3, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Spence

Just want to say this person above is not the other spence. This person has issues.

November 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
      • Spence

I have multiple personality disorder!! Sometimes I be a fruit and other times I be straight!! Sometimes I like it in da rear...other times I wanna chick so dear. Sometimes I wanna polish your tool...other times I wanna lady that rules!!!

November 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  36. Hey teacher

We should all remember that JoPaw didnt actually molest the kids, he just covered it up and protected the man that did.

Football is so incredibly important that no childs life or innocence should stand in the way of the game. Without football we wouldnt have such lovable heros as Michael Vick to teach us how to treat our pets.

November 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Spence

You cannot blame football because of the actions of a few. This works not just for football but all around. Their are parents, teachers, pubic officials and the list can go on who do horrible things.

November 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
      • Hey teacher

Its not just a few people who support vick, its a lot. They dont care that he murdered and tortured his dogs – he's a football player! If you root for a dog killer your as bad as a dog killer. If you play with one your worse. Untill the fans stand up for whats right then they are all accountable.

November 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
      • Spence

I do agree with some of that comment. Being a dog owner myself who I love he is a huge part of my the life the dog that is. I ask a question do u agree with second chances assuming they take the steps to better themselves? Not just meaning Vick. I know that question is totall off topic. I believe everyone should have their own opinion but for me I do not think you can condem the rest of the players or fans because of what someone else does. That also goes for the teachers and public officials who abuse their position to commit horrible acts. Because as we know that number does not represent the overall amount of teachers or public officials who really make a difference.

November 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
      • Hey teacher

Yeah, you give sandusky a second chance with your kids, leave your dog with Michael Vick, and vote for Obama. We all should just forget and give another chance.

November 4, 2012 at 12:20 am |
  37. Spence

To the comment stating its public education not public sports. For some kids sports in school actually keeps them in schools and off the streets. It gives them a sense of pride because they're apart of something. Which will lead them to college even if they don't play a sport in college. So in my opinion that can lead to better opportunities for their future.

November 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • MCR

A modified version of football, or replacement with an additional team sport, would keep just as many kids in school. And we wouldn't be paying to keep people who get dementia in their early 60s in nursing homes.

November 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  38. Spence

Also no need to worry about getting sued. To my knowledge most schools require a waiver to be signed stating the dangers and that they are not held liable for injuries that occur while playing.

November 3, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  39. Spence

This is a bunch of nonsense! More kids get hurt NOT playing football than playing football. I agree a better system needs to be in place to teach the coaches and players the proper tackling process. Like stop leading with the HEAD! The nft and some other companies are already on board to create safer equipment to reduce the amount of force received during a hit. Banning football is not fair to those who want to play. Do not allow your child to play if you're that afraid of them getting hurt. Last point most jocks do outstanding it their studies with some of the highest gpa's. many are doctors, lawyers, IT administrators or engineers just to name a few.

November 3, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  40. Judith

The way to make American Football safer is to get rid of the biggest danger from the game and that is the so called protective gear which is at the top of the causes of injuries in the game. The enjoyment from the game would be no less without that gear and players would start to consider their own safety where now they believe they are invincible because they have that gear on.

November 3, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  41. Please...

The reason why you don't see head injuries in Rugby is because I doubt getting kicked to the head by a 100lb man will only inflict so much damage. Your resentment is obvious...I bet you would never say those words to a football player directly.

November 3, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • Judith

You obviously have never seen a rugby league (RL) match as the front row averages well over two hundred pounds per man. The reason why you do not get such injures in RL is because you are not allowed to kick somebody in the head. You do get get injuries playing RL but normally they are caused by such things as accidental head clashing: Other than that most injuries are caused by accidental contact or a players own movement that cause such thing as ligament damage. This year a referee was carried off the pitch after breaking his leg caused when he was turning and his boot studs caught in the turf.

November 3, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Namebob

Pro Rugby players are big dudes. Not 100 lbs.

November 3, 2012 at 10:46 am |
    • NEM

Why do I get the feeling you think 100kg = 100 pounds. The average weight of a pro Rugby Union/League player is around 100kg or roughly 220 pounds, with most forwards weighing in at 110 to 130kg. The big difference all the forwards are fit, not fat and would be more than happy to say whatever they want to a gridiron footballer.

November 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Please....

The best part of football is seeing all dem sweaty guys in the locker room after the game! I just wanna get pumped in da plump rump with one of their monster sized stumps.

November 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  42. Lol silly monkey sports are 4 retards

sports = entertainment for the intellectually challenged. Just entertain the primates.

November 3, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  43. 010010111

Ban football. Then ban soccer, hockey, boxing, mma, wrestling, baseball, basketball, tennis, swimming, track and field. They all have potential risk, like driving your car to work. Jus ban everything in the name of safety. We can bubble wrap our kids, implant locating devices into them, make sure they always wear a life vest, even when not in water, attend school with them. We can ban school lunches unless its freeze dried or canned food for risk of food poisoning. Nobody under 25 should be allowed to drive or join the military or drink. School buses replaced with tanks, schools built underground, teachers visually monitored 24 hours a day, including at home. Safety first people, safety. Its for the kids. Your not against child safety are you? If you are your a terrorist nazi that should be sent to solitary confinement for eternity. People shouldnt be allowed to make there own decisions. Someone else knows whats best for you cause hey every stat, every doctor, all the media jus know whats better then you do. Who are you to make your own decisons. Foolish people. Ban walking outside while were at it. Kids get assaulted goin to school, thats dangerous. No more fried food, soda, chips, candy, juice, burgers, hotdogs, pizza, mcdonalds. I just realized we need a police state. We are way to individually unresponsible. Someone oh someone please save us from ourselves.

November 3, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • yet another hick against football

Let's draw a line between "banning football / all recreational activities" and "privatizing" them.

As a taxpayer, I'm disgusted by the attention we give sports in public education. It's public EDUCATION, not public SPORTS.

Let's privatize underage sports. Let's make only those who participate, pay for them. Let's remove coaches from the teaching pool, which will immediately increase the average IQ of teachers.

November 3, 2012 at 10:16 am |
      • TAW

So a teacher who coaches sports isn't as smart as those who do? Lets also remove all the other activities from school besides education. Because according to you that's what it is all about.
        Make sure we remove the ridiculous pensions and other perks from the educators as well because its about the education not the faculty. That work for you??!

November 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Salieri

Thank God someone on here has some sense!

November 3, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  44. lostamerica

Sign a waiver but dont ruin it for everyone else. I guess college really doesnt make people smarter.

November 3, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  45. ProgressiveAmerican

Would Rugby be a safer alternative? Anyone...

November 3, 2012 at 7:58 am |
    • RichD

My son a high school freshman just finished his first season...
      He received a concussion...NOT in football but in PE!
      My school uses the concussion testing and was VERY careful to make sure he was ok prior to any future Football play and he missed a week of practice and 2 games...

As a parent I know the sport takes this serious and is improving!
      As a smart person I realize that you can get a concussion in almost any sport and the Dr. is wrong... We cannot live in bubble wrap our entire lives – be smart and careful

November 3, 2012 at 8:16 am |
      • J Robert

doctor is not wrong and a world without football would be an ok place
        Imagine a world focused on reality

November 3, 2012 at 8:26 am |
  46. Crystal

They should ban football! Way too many problems!

November 3, 2012 at 6:18 am |
  47. john

That's not the New Hampshire way! That's Massachusetts talk! In New Hampshire, people have more freedom than nearly any other state in the country. Yet, that freedom is enjoyed with a great sense of personal responsibility. Let's keep it that way.
    You don't ban things in New Hampshire. You decide if you want to take the risk or not. Shameful, Mr. Butler. Move back to Massachusetts.

November 3, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • J Robert

Thank goodness for Doc Butler for taking a necessary albeit unpopular position.

November 3, 2012 at 3:01 am |
      • Salieri

What about kids killed playing little league by line drives? Do we ban little league? I had 4 concussions and 3 broken bones from basketball. My son tore out his knee playing basketball. Ban that too? Where do we stop?

November 3, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • retphxfire

Making your own choices is great for adults, but we're talking about children here, they have no legal voice. You ask a little kid if they want to play football AFTER telling them all about the risks and they will answer YES, they would have heard blah, blah, blah when being told the hazards. Football for children is reckless and dangerous, what 'lesson' is being learned that can't be learned some other way?

November 3, 2012 at 3:17 am |
      • VIsitor

While you are busy relying on your kid's response (which will be, by the way, positive), you might lose your child to what? a stupid sport. A child, who wants something badly and is unexperienced in life's dangers, will NOT choose safety, most likely. Think!

November 3, 2012 at 8:51 am |
    • phw

Read the article again. The doctor is not worried about the safety of your athletes. Rather the economic impact from a lawsuit(class action?) resulting from an injury. If you as a parent don't agree with the sport, then don't allow your child to play. Or simply organize a vote to determine the future of certain sports in your state. I hope safe, and agreeable terms are met between both sides.

November 3, 2012 at 6:22 am |
      • J Robert

re-read the article. He is concerned about both.

November 3, 2012 at 8:28 am |
    • Kenneth Newman

Yes, New Hampshire, LIVE FREE OR DIE!!! Including in that NO insurance. Just think, wouldn't it be wonderful if school districts in New Hampshire didn't buy insurance for their sports teams!!!!

November 3, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  48. jcmccarthy

Organized sports + kids = sickos like Sandusky

November 3, 2012 at 12:49 am |
    • J Robert

Sandusky was an aberration. We are talking safety from a dangerous sport. And for the guy that called me an idiot, I guess the dozens of former NFL players with concussions who want to sue the beloved league must not count?

November 3, 2012 at 1:46 am |
    • Jill

That's like deciding not to convert to become Catholic because some priests are molesters. That small percent does not represent the whole. All organizations have their creaps.

November 3, 2012 at 11:24 am |
      • J Robert

What is a creap? I would rather be Mormon or a Jain than convert to the C word...

November 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  49. Former Special Teams Coach

Wow. God help us if guys like this have a say in our affairs. Just because he is a doctor, most likely broke, divorced, and just a lonely guy... there is no reason to absorb his ridiculous feelings.

If that district bans, we are truely headed to a world full of soft, delicate, embarrassing creatures. Did someone verify his credentials or did he just sleep at a holiday inn?

November 3, 2012 at 12:06 am |
    • J Robert

No he stayed at a Reality Inn, jocks cant find the place

November 3, 2012 at 12:16 am |
      • Hooray

Lovin your stuff Robert!

November 3, 2012 at 2:18 am |
      • Jill

Highschool wasn't kind on you was it.

November 3, 2012 at 11:27 am |
      • Omid

Oohhh no.. Robert are you 5'6", bald, gay, and bullied still? Poor little guy.

November 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  50. Ragnar

The idea of banning football is absurd. I played 6th-12th grade and saw very few injuries worse than bumps and bruises. Plus there are tons of benefits, it's amazing exercise, it builds character/discipline, it increases teamwork skills, helps you meet lots of new people, and it's downright fun. The good far outweighs any bad.

If we're so worried about things that can hurt people maybe we should put major restrictions on driving.... Or ban smoking....

People go overboard with this type of thing, the school where I went to k-2nd grade had to remove their teeter-totters and slides just a couple of years ago because they were worried kids might hurt themselves.

If you don't like football then don't play and don't let your kids play. Leave the rest of us alone.

November 2, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • J Robert

ban smoking is a fantastic idea!

November 3, 2012 at 12:05 am |
      • Ragnar

Personally I hate smoking and have never smoked myself. Banning it would save us massive amounts of money on medical care in the future... But it brings up the question of how far do we take it and still remain reasonable? Should we ban the consumption of peanuts because some people are allergic? Maybe high heels should be outlawed, I'm sure they cause more than a few injuries every year.

November 3, 2012 at 12:34 am |
      • J Robert

No just banning football and tobacco will be satisfactory

November 3, 2012 at 12:47 am |
      • Ragnar

If you don't like football then don't play and don't let your kids play.

Why ruin it for everybody else?

November 3, 2012 at 12:53 am |

i love football I am from Louisiana
        I just hate what it had become.
        Elitism, money and injuries have ruined it

November 3, 2012 at 1:11 am |
      • Ragnar

Actually, I just moved to Baton Rouge for work.

Why not work to improve football through better equipment, techniques, rules, etc..... Instead of trying to end it?

November 3, 2012 at 1:24 am |
      • J Robert

Best wishes on your new job. Baton Rouge is a great place. You are probably right. Football is such a behemoth ending it would be impossible. But many aspects of football including safety should be better

November 3, 2012 at 1:29 am |
  51. Randy Marsh

Or mabey we switch the ball with a BALLOON! Yeah and make the Players wear bras and tin foil hats!!! Oh and Make the object of the game be as NICE as possible... Yeah we will call it SARCASTIBALL

November 2, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • J Robert

oh you have watched lingerie football?
      Boys will be boys

November 2, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
      • J Robert Go Home

Why don't you spam the hell out of the message board some more....you think everybody wants to be hammered by a million of your cute little comments? Nope. Go find something else to do man, good grief.

November 3, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  52. Dumbing down America...

This idiot is adding to the pussification of our male youth. As a doctor he could be working with equipment developers to make things safer. More teens are seriously hurt in car accidents than playing football, lets just ban them riding in cars too.

November 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm |

jocks gotta be jocks
      What a pathetic closed mindless group

November 2, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  53. jxerp

everyone should just become runners

November 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
  54. lweba

Reason enough to move to soccer instead.

November 2, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • Dumbing down America...

Soccer isnt a sport, it is a game for third world countries to play and forget how cruddy their lives are for 90 minutes.

November 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
      • J Robert

soccer isnt a sport? Hmm how intelligent

November 2, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
      • Bill

Ha! You hit the nail on the head.

November 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
      • Oh please

Soccer is a bunch of prissy dramatic sissies pretending to be tripped by the opposin team. And guess what, after 90 minutes it's still zero to zero, and guess what else, the fans riot, people are stabbed and trampled, the national IQ drops a couple more points, and there is STILL no winner. HOORAY SOCCER!!

November 3, 2012 at 2:24 am |
      • J Robert

And then they come to this country for a ? Better life...

November 3, 2012 at 3:04 am |
    • Jill

Several kids on our varsity soccer team have sustained concussions in the past years. Should soccer be next?

November 3, 2012 at 11:34 am |
      • Juventus

Posted on I’d must test with you here, which isn't something I uslaluy do! I get pleasure from reading a post that will make folks think. Thanks for permitting me to remark!

November 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  55. David Crosby

He is right..I played football in High School and have to agree..Too dangerous..And wastes huge amounts of money..

November 2, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Dumbing down America...

One must wonder if your opinion would be different if you would have been good enough to go pro.

November 2, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
      • J Robert

why would you waste your time playing pro ball when you could have a real job?

November 2, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  56. okiejoe

Would I let my kid play football? Sure, a game in the park, no pads and a flag stuck in his belt. But, in full pads in front of thousands of "fans" slavering to see someone hurt and cheering when someone gets "his bell rung?" No way!

November 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • Oh please

By then they won't be your little 'kids' anymore, and I doubt they'd listen to you say no, son, don't make millions, become famous and chase fine qussy. Stay in our home town and work at the sawmill like your old man.

November 3, 2012 at 2:28 am |
  57. Fan of Eric

Eric, you read my mind! It is so obvious that these people who want to ban the sport are most likely the ones that could never measure up (less the gentleman whom the article was based on who is worried about lawsuits and played 50 years ago). He neglects to mention how so many colleges offer athletic scholarships. What about how much money is made through college and professional sports and how that benefits the economy? Maybe they are right, let's ban all organized sports, nothing more poisonous in this day and age than kids playing ball. It will never happen – look somewhere else for media attention.

November 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • J Robert

yeah I can see where a multi million dollar football stadium that is completely empty 45 weeks out of the year is a real economic boost.... Not

And the boring old argument that football has so many tangible noble benefits like teamwork and goal setting etc is ridiculous. There are lots of activities with great benefits that wont paralyze or kill you.

And to justify your case that those who oppose football are somehow the "losers" who where not elite athletes makes about as much sense as the clowns that pose as basketball coaches wearing suits and ties. How silly is it to show up to coach a basketball game in a suit as if somehow that elevates them to some kind of higher standard?

November 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
      • s2pdpplsuk

you sir are an idiot. Do you know how much money the nfl generates? And not just the nfl but college ball too? You think ticket sales are it? Ever heard if Nike or Reebok?

November 3, 2012 at 12:58 am |
      • J Robert

Youre right money is what it is all about. Name calling is your foil for being wrong. Shame on companies for wasting money on unimportant activities.
        Coaches and their mistresses are a great example for kids, yep

November 3, 2012 at 1:17 am |
      • J Robert

in addition this discussion has nothing to do with professional football

Pay attention

November 3, 2012 at 1:25 am |
      • J Robert

Hey s2 ole buddy. How much money is the NBA generating in Seattle these days? Oh thats right the commish looked out for Seattles best interests and allowed the team to be robbed from the city...

November 3, 2012 at 2:01 am |
      • zack

I have never understood why basketball coaches get all dressed up in their $500.00 suits, $50.00 ties, and $200.00 shoes. Do they wear jock straps to help them to feel athletic since the suits and ties certainly don't appear athletic. Come on basketball coaches, wear a uniform like the baseball coach does at The University of Virginia. He is "one of the boys" and am sure that his rapport with the players is enhanced because the coach wears a jock strap and uniform just like the players.

November 3, 2012 at 2:44 am |
  58. Bob

Why is it taking so long to realize this?

November 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Oh please

People die in battle to preserve our freedoms, so they can paralyze themselves for our entertainment on Sundays as well.

November 3, 2012 at 2:31 am |
  59. Jennifer

I'm a pediatric nurse and mother of four and Dr. Butler is absolutely right. My 17 year old daughter is unable to complete her soccer season due to a concussion she sustained after heading a ball. I value my child's brain alot more than any game. Mohamed Ali cannot articulate a single sentence. Is that what we want for our children?

November 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • Oh please

Oh boo hoo. Might as well hover over your child all the time to make sure they don't cause a traffic accident, get an std, or smoke that first cigarette!! Omg, the floor is wet!! Watch were you step Johnny boy!! You took one individual out of millions, and made that into an argument to ban football for the nation. I bet you believed Bachman and her mentally challenged from vaccination remark.

November 3, 2012 at 2:39 am |
    • just_a_moderate

Heading the ball, with proper technique, won't generate a concussion. Soccer has risks, but less.

The argument against football doesn't mean no sports, it means no football where the incidence of concussion is significantly higher.

Or it might just, properly, move football out of schools and transfer the risk/cost to it being a club sport.

Hope your daughter is back to normal in no time.

November 3, 2012 at 7:52 am |
  60. James PDX

They've shown that sedentary occupations lead to earlier deaths. Overuse of computers is bad for you. Cellphones may cause brain tumors. Sugar costs us a fortune in healthcare costs. Are we really going to legislate everything that might be harmful to people? In that case, I'm pretty sure alcohol and soda pop should be way up the list above football.

November 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  61. T Klimchuk

Schools are for learning period With all the teachers being laid off you think these highschools would cut back on these sport programs first instead of the sciences If you want to play then join leagues then and your parents can pay for it No wonder America is 17th in the world when it comes to education

November 2, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • James PDX

If I were to grade your post in an English class, you'd score way worse than 17th.

November 2, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
      • J Robert

Give it a rest. Its all footballs fault. No tyme four learnin and two manny concussions. Caint spell gooder than I wonce did.

November 2, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Jennifer

Sports do not take away from science. Almost all schools charge the parents $50 per sport for the student to play. Then they charge admission to the games. No to mention the concessions. A lot of these sports are self supported.

November 2, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
  62. bobby

Finally someone is seeing the light. Football is bad for america, period. It is just socially acceptable violence. Violence is the number one cause of legal or illegal drug use. The world does not condone violent sports as a whole. Soccer is not violent. American style basketball is violent. Time to reign in the violence.

November 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • James PDX

Why don't you move to communist China and reign in the violence there? When you "reign in the violence" in America, you are showing how un-American you are.

November 2, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
      • delmer

So violence is All American? I just want to get the rules straight. Will we bring back gladiators in the arena next?

November 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
      • James PDX

If you want to get the rules straight, then you should know that freedom is American. Gladiators were often slaves, not volunteers. Also, they often committed murder. Big difference, smart guy.

November 2, 2012 at 9:12 pm |

Scary guy that James in Portland

November 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
  63. Mike

If ban high school football then NFL will be out of business and college football will be suck. Teams will have hard time to find players and skills will not be good as today due to lack of training and play. The flame of football will dying out. I don't want to hear "You can play football in college". College football will be suck and can't become pro in only 4 years of training.

November 2, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • delmer

You mean high school and college are only farm clubs for the NFL? If that is so then the NFL should be supporting these minor leagues with lots of cash.

November 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • choppertrash

And your point is?...

November 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  64. David

Sure football has its risks, like any other sport. But getting rid of it? C'mon man, get with the program. This isn't over 100 years ago when people were dying playing it from all the clipping that happened and virtually no protective equipment was worn. What's next? Banning all other sports? Get real Paul Butler

November 2, 2012 at 8:25 pm |

Paul Butler for President

November 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
      • Oh please

J Robert for overnight Denny's manager

November 3, 2012 at 2:48 am |
  65. Safetyis_VERY_Important_to_today's_Children

Theres this kid in my family,and he's like 14 or something and he plays in the Quarterback and Lineback position,and he's had three concussions and a broken arm.

I don't really see him much,like 3 times a year,or something.Like,he's an in-law,so I was like 'dude,your 14 and already have three concussions and a broken arm.You already have all the injuries of a pro-player,without all the millions of dollars.Do you WANT to get on-set dementia and suicidal thougts in your 30's?????"

His parents are HUGE sports people,and when they heard I said this,well,we don't talk to eachother anynmore lolol

November 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Mike

Look, I played up to college football and I have none of those issues. I think the best thing you can do is inform kids of what the risks are. Football is a great sport and saves many more kids than it hurts. There are real risks, make sure people understand that. Banning it is the most silly thing I have ever heard.

November 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • Meh

By that logic we also shouldn't wear seatbelts either, since, you know, it'll all be over one day anyways.

November 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  66. TheGuyWhoCanSeeInYourUnderwear

Oh,you want to ban football??

So why don't we just hug eachother and ear pillows to keep safe.Don't want to get hurt or anything.Y'know,cause the world and life is all about being safe,and no chance of violence can occur.So why try and instill violence in the youths,seeing how violence is just a myth and we live ain a happy fairy world of safety.

November 2, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • J Robert

Oh Guy! Its people like you that scare the rest of us.
      How sad that you actually believe your nonsense.

November 2, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
  67. Andrew

OH HELL YES. This person is actually thinking. Sports are a colossal waste of education money. If they want to damage their bodies or brains, let them do it on their own nickel, not tax money for everyone to "acheive" their idol, bullyboy, flatulent, useless status. If we worshipped intelligence as much as physical prowess, we wouldn't be 17th in worldwide education and we wouldn't be in the stupid boat we're in.

November 2, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • george

AMEN !!!!!

November 2, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • Eric

Anyone who thinks sports should be banned in school never played organized sports! The skill you learn on how to work with others, how to take instructions, take responsibilities that effect the whole team, staying off the streets after school, I could go on and on. Show me someone who went through organized sports in school (not someone who watched or hated people who played) that thinks sports should be banned in school and i'll listen. A lot of commenters I can hear their envy from school all these years later.

November 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
      • bpsf

Oh do grow up

November 2, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
      • jake

We're not talking about "orgnaized sports" it's football.

November 2, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • Don

I agree 100 percent. Check your local paper. Pages and pages glorifying all school sports and players, with a rare paragraph dedicated to the academic achiever. That should tell us something. That from a 76 year old man who did his 4 years in the United States Army Infantry. 1953 to 1957.

November 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • James PDX

There is room for both if we stop electing corrupt and inept politicians. If you just voted for a Democrat or a Republican, you are far more of a problem than any amount of concussions.

November 2, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Jennifer

Educational money? Almost all schools charge the parents $50 plus per sport for the student to play. Then they charge admission to the games. No to mention the concessions. these sports are self supported.

November 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  68. Grammy1

And once again......THE GOVERNMENT OVER STEPPING ITS ROLE!!

November 2, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • Andrew

Nope. Sports has overstepped it's usefulness. Darwin.

November 2, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Jason

Public High School Football is monitored by public schools which are representatives of LOCAL GOVERNMENT. So the government is commenting on its own affairs. If you are going to complain, have a worthwhile point. Or at least an educated one.

November 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • george

Since the govt. (our tax dollars) are paying for it in the schools, I think the govt (us taxpayers) have a say in the matter.

November 2, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
      • Jason

If you are paying into that school district, you would have a valid point. But I'd wager 10 bucks that say you do not.

November 2, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
      • Jason

Oh and the Board member making the proposal was voted in by the people. So if you don't like it, vote for someone else when is term is up. I find it highly unlikely the sport will be banned, but people in that school district have no one to complain about but themselves, at least the majority that voted him in,

November 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
      • Jennifer

Not all schools are like that. Schools charge the parents per sport for the student to play. Then they charge admission to the games. No to mention the concessions. A lot of these sports are self supported. Guess you have no say

November 2, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
      • yet another hick against football

Jennifer, you can't seriously believe that those small revenues cover the entire cost of the sport.

Equipment – full uniforms and pads cost ~$300 each.
        Coaches' salaries – Coaches are often teachers. In my kids' school, the teacher/coaches aren't nearly as effective as the TEACHER / TEACHERS. Some of my kids' coach/teachers literally hand out worksheets and then spend their time designing football plays.
        Lost classroom time and travel expenses – Buses cost money. Missing class costs time.

This whole thing is ridiculous and my tax dollars are being WASTED.

November 3, 2012 at 11:02 am |

jake

Fine, play football – just play it like good republicans – without government money. Form your own leagues (as many have done (Pop Waner, etc) and play.

November 2, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  69. yet another hick against football

Here we go. The ol' "football teaches valuable lessons" line of crap.

Kids can learn the same lessons in any classroom, given the right teacher. And I'm sick of reading articles in local newspapers treating football players like heroes. AND I'm sick of seeing my tax dollars put sports before brains. This country needs to prepare our citizens to think – that means reading, writing, science, and math. Enough distractions already.

Get rid of high school football nationwide. Now.

November 2, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • george

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!

November 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Mark McKee

Students who play football do better in math & science??? really??? I highly doubt there are any serious scientific studies not funded by the likes of Nike that come to that conclusion. On the other hand, music has been shown to have the greatest positive effect on academic performance, and of course, we let schools drop that back in the late 80s, and today society is paying a terrible price, and not just the obvious stuff like the top entertainers are people like JayZ who also happens to sample the most music. At the famous PMRC hearings I remember Frank Zappa warning that in 30 years, after cutting music programs in schools, the average citizen will be incapable of distinguishing between great music and pure garbage. Well, here we are. So I agree with the hick. Football is just plain stupid. Oh, one more thing, for those who are about to rip me for commenting on something I don't understand; I was 1st team All-State, both AP & UPI, so there.

November 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
      • My Thoughts

Agreed! Bring back music!

November 2, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • James PDX

I noticed your caveat of "given the right teacher". Good luck getting a whole staff of "right teachers" in place for such crappy pay. Next!

November 2, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Mary

Right

November 3, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  70. whatnow05

Isn't cheerleading the most dangerous sport? More injuries in that than how many?

No really look up the stats.

November 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  71. Mike Searcy

I'm getting a brain injury from all the idiotic comments on this subject. We should ban stupid people from having computers, smart phones or any other device that allows internet access. That will be much more helpful than a ban on youth football.

November 2, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Andrew

Sounds like the injury is already quite pronounced.

November 2, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  72. DEE

I played rugby for 5 years, playing on the 1st team as a senior in high school in South Africa. There were no head injuries in all the years I played. I then played for a city team after returning to the USA. Still, no head injuries. Remove the pads, and helmets and let's see how tough the boys are when they are going to feel everything they inflict.

November 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Andrew

I've seen people knocked out cold for minutes in Rugby. Guaranteed brain lesions. Glad you're so lucky, but it happens.

November 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • hasnthappenedtome soitsok

I have been drinking and driving for 13 years and havent had anything happen, so thats ok right.

November 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  73. The Doug

Let the kids play flag until high school. They can learn team work and i-formations without the blows to the head. Pick up "big boy" football when they are 14 as suggested today by BC.

November 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  74. Joscar

The game of football has changed. It startied at the pro level and has workded down younger players are more aggresive and play more dangerously than before because they are emulating their heroes. Safety equipment improvements have not kept up with the increasing physicallity of the game.

If the adults who are playing pro ball want to play this way it's their decision but it needs to be stopped for the school level. Definately High School and below and probably College as well.

The coaches and referees need to clarify and/or update the rules about contact. Stop letting these kids play like they are in the pros. If a school doesn't want to adhere because they value winning too much they will learn their lesson pretty quick when they play a game and their players are ejected one after another for rules violations.

Team sports are good for kids but they also need to be safe. The adults are going to have to step up and say that the safety of all these kids is more important than another win.

November 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • delmer

More high school kids die each year in football than all the colleges and NFL combined.

November 2, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
      • Quinn

You're an idiot. If there was an epidemic of high school kids dying from football, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it. What you should be worried about is the four kids who died of heat stroke during marching band practice last summer since that is probably more your speed.

November 2, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • jake

It's football, not team sports that is the issue.

November 2, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  75. Really?

Late Again:
    Do you work at McDonalds with bpsf too?

November 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  76. Barb

Perhaps it's the age gap, but when I was in high school many of the football players were cheating on homework and tests. Our Algebra teacher decided to make us spread our desks further apart during tests because of this. My favorite Spanish teacher left and went back to college, her reason was because she was tired of being pressured to widen her curve grading to help the athletes. That was in the mid 90's, but it did happen (she only spoke of it after she was gone from the school). I'm not saying ALL athletes are stupid, but I don't think they do better in those subjects because of their sports.

November 2, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  77. mikithinks

Well, our county has less money spent on librarys than any other in the state, but every high school has its own football stadium. I will not vote for more money for schools as long as this stupid practice goes on.

November 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • george

Oh my Lord, you are talking about ending FOOTBALL ???? No, no,. no, say it ain't so !! The world could not survive without FOOTBALL !!!

November 2, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
  78. Al

If you want to take football away because it is too dangerous, then you should not allow high school kids to drive a car. I'm pretty sure that more high school kids die each year from driving than from playing football.

November 2, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • K Smith

The intention of driving a car is to get somewhere. The intention in football is to slam into somene as hard as you can to stop them. The two are hardly related.

November 2, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
      • don415

i think u missed the point :(

November 2, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
      • delmer

Don, I think he got the point perfectly.

November 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Andrew

It's the comments from football fans that are so telling....

November 2, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
  79. Cleo

Leave football alone. The children who participate and their parents are aware of the risk to any sports the participate in. We don't want to create a panic by giving ideas of law suites due to voluntary participation in a sport. God please people already sue toomuch as it is. Let the children play

November 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • george

Heel, let's just let them play shooting games with guns too, of course with tax payers money to support it in the schools and tax payer money to pay for the injuries too.

November 2, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
      • Quinn

Holy crap you'rr an idiot. Comparing football to "shooting games"...c'mon really? Let's just compare the world war two to a "spirited game of checkers". I'm guessing you probably never played an organized sport since your mommy always told you that you were fine just the way you were and that you were, indeed, "special", but just because you can come u with what you think is a funny pun doesn't even you you in the same ballpark (that's where sports are layed), as being right now. Maybe you should think a little more about your metaphors before you post them.

November 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • jake

November 2, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
      • Quinn

It could be played like good democrats and everyone give hugs, smiles and someone elses money away. We could call it the take from someone who worked hard and earned it to someone who got up at noon to stand ina welfare line game.

November 2, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
      • Jennifer

1. It's Pop Warner 2. Schools charge the parents per sport for the student to play. Then they charge admission to the games. Not to mention the concessions. A lot of these sports are self supported. No need for govt money

November 3, 2012 at 12:10 am |
  80. brad

Who care, if parents want kids to grow up stupid, then let them, after all, with the crack down on illegal immigration, we will need someone to do the jobs americans supposedly don't want.

November 2, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Sarah

Stupid kids go on welfare, have more stupid kids who then go on welfare, etc, etc.

The vast income gap this country suffers is caused by stupid kids and corrupt executives.

Remind the kids that school is about education, not sports. BTW, I played sports, suffered in class and it took too many years of college to even it all out.

November 2, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  81. bpsf

The first thing we must accept is that education benefits everyone in society. However the very wealthy do not want the poor well educated. They can afford to send their own to good schools. As one of my wealthy co-workers explained, “I'm spending 30 thousand dollars per year on his high school education.” “Why would I want someone from a public school to compete with him for his slot at Stanford.” “Don't worry about them, there will always be jobs at McDonald's for them. If you believe that there is a class war going on, there is, and the poor lost. We should be concerned about math, science, english, history, and the arts, Contact your elected officials get funding for shcools.

November 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • LateAgain

Well said.

November 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • wrk

I pay 30k a year for my sons education, but if a child works harder than him and is able to use a public education to win a spot then I am all for it. If parents want to try and give their kids a leg up in the world , great... however I am a firm believer in having to earn what you want in life, if my son ends up at McDonalds after all the advantages I try to provide, then so be it..I will still love him the same.

November 2, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • Joe Schmoe

I think a big part of the problem is that public schools have repeatedly lowered the bar so "Johnny" doesn't get self-esteem issues or just drop out if school's too challenging. Case in point: Los Angeles School District recently (April 2012) called for lowering the requirements for students to graduate because the drop out rate is over 30%. Problem is they're goal is to graduate students but not necessarily educate them.

November 2, 2012 at 7:47 pm |