April 5th, 2013

'New tradition' for Georgia students: Their first racially integrated prom

By Jamie Gumbrecht, CNN

(CNN) - As Quanesha Wallace remembers, it was around this time last year when the idea first came up at Wilcox County High School. It was nothing big, just chatter about prom, school, what comes next, what they'd change.

If things were different, someone said, we'd all go to the same prom.

For as long as anyone could remember, students in their South Georgia community went to separate proms, and homecoming dances, too. White students from Wilcox County attend one. Black students, another. They’re private events organized by parents and students, not the school district. Schools have long been desegregated, but in Wilcox County, the dances never changed.WGXA

The friends all agreed they'd go to an integrated prom, Quanesha said, and when they asked, others said, "Yeah, I'd go, too."

"We are all friends," Quanesha's friend, Stephanie Sinnot, told CNN affiliate WGXA-TV in Macon, Georgia. "That's just kind of not right that we can't go to prom together."

So now it's April, and prom is coming up, and these black and white friends, longtime pals who go to classes together and play sports together and hang out together, are going to prom together, too. For the first time, students are organizing an integrated dance, one that welcomes any of Wilcox County High's 400 students.

"This is going to be the biggest prom ever to come through Wilcox County," said Quanesha, one of the event's organizers.

The theme will be "Masquerade Ball in Paris." There will be an Eiffel Tower and Mardi Gras-style masks, dancing, flowers, catered food and a clubhouse in nearby Cordele. They're expecting gowns, ties, manicures, up-dos, sparkle. Quanesha has a date, although she hasn't decided on a dress.

"If you want to get fancy, get fancy," said Quanesha, 18. "If you don't, that's fine."

Attendees will vote on a king and queen but also cutest couple, best smile, best dressed. They'll do a recognition ceremony for a classmate who died. They'll start a new prom tradition: a unity toast.

By Thursday afternoon, about 50 tickets had sold for the integrated prom. They're aiming for 100. They're not sure they'll make it.

In a statement posted on the school district’s website Thursday, Wilcox County Superintendent Steve Smith stressed the segregated proms aren’t organized by the school.

When students approached him about hosting an integrated prom, Smith wrote, he and the county’s board of education “not only applauded their idea, but we also passed a resolution advocating that all activities involving our students be inclusive and nondiscriminatory.

“I fully support these ladies, and I consider it an embarrassment to our schools and community that these events have portrayed us as bigoted in any way.”

The statement was no longer on the schools' website Thursday night, but a new statement posted by Friday morning said the high school's principal "will place the 2014 Prom on its agenda for its next meeting."

Smith did not return CNN's phone calls or e-mails.

Wilcox County is not the only place with a racially segregated prom, nor is it the only one that's attracted widespread attention in recent years. In the 2009 documentary “Prom Night in Mississippi,” director Paul Saltzman followed the preparations for the first integrated prom in Charleston, Mississippi. Actor Morgan Freeman, a native of the area, offered in 1997 to cover the cost if the school board would hold an integrated prom, but the offer wasn’t accepted till 2008.

Students and parents say it's hard to spark conversation that breaks what's now seen as tradition.

"I've lived here all my life. Nobody pushed the issue. This year, these children - we didn’t have any idea it was going to go as it did," Quanesha's mother, Linda Wallace, said Thursday. "Before we knew it, it was like a wildfire."

Indeed, Wilcox County's integrated prom has gotten a lot of attention this week. Schools in the county of about 9,000 residents are on spring break, but while classes were out, the prom story appeared on the local news, and the story spread. They'd been raising money for the prom all year, and some donations helped, but they've picked up a lot in the last few days. The prom's Facebook page drew thousands of fans since it was set up Wednesday.

Most of the comments are positive. "Your efforts will open the eyes of many. I applaud your courage and hopefulness. Continue your fight for change this year and every year, not just in your school but throughout your community. It just takes one person to change the world," one person wrote.

"You are civil rights leaders of 2013!" another wrote. "I am so encouraged by what you are doing. I believe that your generation has the power to make things better. Keep going and never give up."

Still, Quanesha is a little nervous about returning to school Monday. A lot of parents and students support them, she said, but she knows some don't. Why else, after all these years, were they still holding dances that segregated white and black students?

"I’m all about sticking together, reasoning with each other," Quanesha said. "We have very strong-minded students at Wilcox County. I hope they’re there to back each other up."

The friends and organizers are trying to enjoy it. Soon, most of them will be graduating. Quanesha plans to go to college to study psychology. She said she's not going too far from home for now. She wants to make sure the prom keeps going, and she can come back to help encourage the underclassmen who will have to take it on next.

"I don't want to just leave them hanging. I know we're going to leave them a little money," Quanesha said.

"New tradition. Leave them a little something so it won't be so hard for them like it was hard for us."

Follow us on Twitter @CNNschools.

Posted by
Filed under: Extracurricular • High school • Parents • Prom • Students
soundoff (1,154 Responses)
  1. Mike

In the words of The Offspring, "You gotta keep em separated."

April 6, 2013 at 1:31 am |
  2. Chuck

Slow news night eh?

April 6, 2013 at 12:59 am |
  3. GA girl

I have lived in GA my whole life and I have yet to see any segregated activities! Most of thr people here are very polite and hospitable. We still respect our elders and say yes ma'am or no ma'am. Dont get me wrong there are some people in the South that give us all a bad name but for the most part its composed of good hearted people. (Of all colors and backgrounds). We have many friends that are hispanic or black and they are just as "country" as we are! 🙂 And do not for one second believe that all Georgians are like the idiots on "Honey Boo Boo"...dont even get me started on that abomination! Haha

April 6, 2013 at 12:54 am |
    • michaellocher

I'm sure there are perfectly pleasant, wonderfully civilized regions in the state of Georgia, GAGirl. There's also at least one high school which racially segregates their prom, as of 2013. Fact.

April 6, 2013 at 2:52 am |
      • GA girl

So it seems. Just like anywhere the evolvement of a community depends on the leaders. I'd be willing to bet the same family has pretty much ran this town since the Civil War. Many people use the logic if it works, don't change it. Although I defintely agree that this should have happened years ago!

April 6, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
  4. Joe

You have GOT to be kidding me! Someone please tell me that this is someone's idea of a sick joke. They are still having SEGREGATED proms and homecoming dances? I hope the ACLU gets ahold of this and sues the pants off of that school district. This is absolutely unacceptable in the 21st century, just as it always was. This definitely makes me ashamed to say that I am an American. There are simply no words.

April 6, 2013 at 12:34 am |
    • ro

Agreed! Thank You!

April 6, 2013 at 12:42 am |
    • Chuck

Of course its a joke, but the majority of CNN commenters will believe it

April 6, 2013 at 1:00 am |
    • Kelly

Are you stupid and incapable of reading? The article clearly states the school district has had nothing to do with prom. The parents and students chose to have segregated proms. The school district supports all inclusive activities. With that said, it sounds like the majority of both black and white students are choosing to not buy tickets for the prom. That is truly the sad point that you seem to have missed, the opportunity for change is right in front of them, but many are turning a blind eye, preferring to continue to be apart from each other.

April 6, 2013 at 1:39 am |
      • mswhite

no doubt pressured by their parents who still living in the past

April 6, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Xonod

No, this is very true. This actually happened a few years ago as well. And the attempt to desegregate actually failed!!! It's unbelievable, I agree. But still true.

April 6, 2013 at 1:57 am |
    • konrad_k_kay

Yes let's have the ACLU sue the school district for a PRIVATELY funded event!
      So what would your precious brigade of lawyers do with that money? Find a cure for cancer? Nope, they would all buy a new boat while the kids in that district would be left holding the bill.

Please die you reactionary hippie re7ard!

April 6, 2013 at 2:16 am |
  5. mark

Ahhhh, a warm and fuzzy bit of news.

This is non-news. I'm more worried about the jobs report that came out today. Horrible numbers...

April 6, 2013 at 12:26 am |
  6. Wahoo

"I don't want to just leave them hanging."

Hard to pull off in Georgia.

April 5, 2013 at 11:55 pm |
  7. JonRon

Wassup wassup ? These haters r 2 much

April 5, 2013 at 11:50 pm |
  8. Don

Seriously, this is a sad story.

April 5, 2013 at 11:43 pm |
  9. Andrew

Its America, you can do what you want because we are free. Its a private party and if I dont want another skin color there I can do that because its MY FREEDOM you retards. Besides, who wants ghetto little kids ruining your prom when you can control the guest list and rid your community of those troubled teens that will amount to nothing and everyone knows it. Its America and its your freedom to be whatever you want if your your racist so be it.

April 5, 2013 at 11:42 pm |
    • Don

Let me be the first to respond to this guy. You sir are delusional and your comments offends me. For instance, a head coach lost his job for being inconsiderate. You are inconsiderate, naive "boy". The other 350 students can do whatever they want. So can the 50 students. These students are willing to stand against the norm. I applaud them for that.

Also, to call out people "ghetto" and "good for nothing", boy I hope your momma raise you right. I would smack the sh*# out of you.

April 5, 2013 at 11:53 pm |
    • ro

Anrew I don't know who the hell you are but u make me sick! " another skin color"?? God made us all! Color is beauty! I am not black! I am brown, beautiful!! U need some healin and a good ass whooping!

April 6, 2013 at 12:07 am |
    • fandancy

WOW!
      That's a totally idiotic comment.

April 6, 2013 at 12:24 am |
    • Poltergiest

So what? Who cares about your racist parties?

April 6, 2013 at 12:47 am |
    • lawless

I fine it quite the opposite on tuesday and friday nites when us young black kids are being used in atheletics programs and the school reap the benefits.

April 6, 2013 at 1:14 am |
    • fernando bedoya

This really explains some GOP partisans to us international observers

April 6, 2013 at 1:18 am |
    • mswhite

time for your meds

April 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
    • mswhite

does that mean the white kids are "ghetto" too...roll off a very high cliff

April 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
  10. Fr33th1nk3r

OMFG. It is the year 2013– and this backwards hicktown just now got the memo that racial segregation is over with? That is the American Bible belt I have come to know and be proud of....

April 5, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
  11. Chocolate Honee

My Mom is 79 now. She told a story of when she was a young girl in GA. She was on the bus and there was little Colored Baby on the bu who wouldn't stop crying. The White Bus driver told the Mother "Shut that Baby up or I will"! The Mother couldn't get the Baby to stop crying so the driver cut the Baby's head off! I would NEVER EVER go to Georgia! Unfortunately Racism is Alive & Well in the 21st Century. At my place of employment it's covert as well. Sad but True.

April 5, 2013 at 10:37 pm |
    • Facepalm

Yeah... I call BS on that. Not that she told the story, but that it actually happened.

April 6, 2013 at 12:09 am |
  12. qazoo

Why not, then after the prom they can go home to their segregated lives and communities. You see how fun this all is.

April 5, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Xorax

It's 2013 and MAYBE this town MIGHT have an integrated prom? And the GOP says racism is no more. Heh heh. Hee hee hee. Haw haw haw. Ah hahahaHaHaHaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seriously though, and to respond to a Mr. "Bruce" up above, I'm not worried about being assaulted or brutalized by some black guy, because as much of a sniveling white weakling as I might be (and as I suspect you are too, Bruce), it's simply never happened to me. I may live in the white burbs, but my step-son has taken me into some hairy situations that have never, ever, EVER turned south. Virtually every black man I meet is a civilized, decent exception to your preposterous, ridiculous "rule". So where are all these psychotic animal rapist thugs I keep hearing about? They keep turning out to be dudes just standing their ground. Respect and be respected, fool.

What I AM worried about is being taken for everything I've got by some white politician or banker. Because that's been happening all my life. Dig? THEY are the ones you need to watch. THEY are the ones who will steal from their own mothers. Don't let all that God talk fool you. THEY are the takers. Do the math, tool.

April 5, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
    • TheGrimJester

I have learned that if you show people repect you get it in return. I have also been jumped by black people and white people. Idiots are a part of every race.

April 6, 2013 at 12:25 am |
    • ro

Amen!! Love this!

April 6, 2013 at 12:36 am |
  14. t.veritas

This is an example of the parents passing down values that are outdated. They continue to believe that it is in their children's best interest to keep them among their own race. We never learn by surrounding ourselves with people just like us. This is the problem, we fail to learn and advance. The students who are organizing the new prom understand that we have more to learn from one another, than we have to fear from one another.

April 5, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
  15. Bruce

Like it or not, statistically the most effective thing anyone can do to not be a victim of violent crime is avoid young black men.

April 5, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
    • Agame

Very sad that ignorant people like yourself exist in 2013.

April 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
      • Fr33th1nk3r

Sad but true....

Highlights from 20 Years of Surveying Crime Victims (NCJRS)
        ”...Blacks thus committed 7.5 TIMES more violent inter-racial crimes than whites even though the black population is only one-seventh the size of the white population. When these figures are adjusted on a per capita basis, they reveal an extraordinary disparity: Blacks are committing more than 50 TIMES the number of violent racial crimes of whites.”

FBI’s crime figures for 2007
        “Blacks committed 433,934 violent crimes against whites, EIGHT TIMES as many as the 55,685 that whites committed against blacks."

April 5, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
    • Gadflie

Actually, no. It's not have a gun in your home. But, you really werent' interested in statistics, were you?

April 5, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
      • Julies625

Actually your both wrong, it's having a pool

April 5, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
    • Jim

Politically incorrect maybe but not ignorant.

April 5, 2013 at 11:50 pm |
    • lawless

Wow!!! Who were the sponsors of the latest massacre killings in the U.S.? Where have you been the past years... Virginia Tech, Columbine, Colorado, Elementary School....Get you head out of you ass boy...

April 6, 2013 at 1:24 am |
      • mswhite

April 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
    • Inkyguy

Statistically, the best thing you can do to avoid violent crime (and a host of other ills) is not to be poor.

April 6, 2013 at 8:43 am |
    • historygeek6

There are about 800 years worth of dead black people that experienced statistics that are far, far worse for violent crime.

April 6, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  16. marcelinethevampirequeen

Dear god people we've been through this already! Just let the black people in for fu*cks sake! My school has a majority of blacks and Latinos and everything is fine! Just get your heads out of your asses and try something new!

On behalf of all of the state of Georgia I apologize sincerely for these idiots who are still able to walk around.

April 5, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • Bmwx

No one is keeping the blacks out. They are holding their own prom. READ.

April 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm |
    • Camfella

Your lucky blacks let you in with your white supremist assumptions.

April 5, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
  17. CMI

That's lame to say the school doesn't sponsor it. The school tolerates it and that's outrageous. This is embarrassing for the whole country.

April 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm |
    • oops

unfortunately, the school is an extension of the parents of that community. if the parents of the community wanted an integrated prom before 2013, they would have gotten one. it's that simple.

the sad thing is that these kids need to learn that they have to be able to live and work with others in order to succeed in life, especially in the US. parents who keep their kids 'within their race' are only hurting their children. yes there are racists everywhere you go but most companies are against discrimination. how would a white child from this town do when they get a job and their boss is black?

April 5, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Introbiz

I get the feeling this is more about the class system in our country than it is about race.

April 5, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
  19. nicole

i feel embarrassingly nieve! never would i have thought this was still occurring but to think that anyone would support the idea is mind blowing! what are you teaching your children?? i dont care if you are black or white... you are contributing to a horrible disease! racism!

April 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  20. Fsjunkie

I was born and raised in the Northeast, but my parents were from Georgia. After I joined the military, they migrated back to Georgia. I've spent time in each corner of the county and a few spaces in between over my 25 years of service. No place has quite the eery disingenuous feel of Georgia. That place gives me the creeps. This story doesn't surprise me much at all.

April 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
    • marcelinethevampirequeen

Not even Texas? I mean come on we can't be as bad as Texas! They even tried to write Thomas Jefferson out of the history books!

April 5, 2013 at 9:20 pm |
      • Bmwx

By reading your comments, its pretty clear you are racist against white people. Why don't you learn some tolerance? Being racist against whites is still racism.

April 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
      • Gadflie

Actually, segregated proms are much less common here in TX than they are in the Deep South.

April 5, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • Benson

I disagree 0. Im black, from the NE, I also served our county an seen a lot of this country. Georiga is a beautiful state, my family an I vacations in savannah an we love the warm hospitality we get from everyone. This story doesn't reflect the entire state.

April 5, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
  21. bibleverse1

Is this the 21st century?

April 5, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  22. ND4190

I cannot believe that events such as high school proms are still segregated! This is 2013, not 1953! As a soon-to-be high school teacher, this horrifies me. I would never teach at a school such as this one.

April 5, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
  23. Name*pat

What??????? What year is this?? 1960??

April 5, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
  24. It's been a long time coming

It's about damn time racist white folk.

April 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • David

Oh yeah black people aren't racist at all.

April 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
      • ro

Dumb people make other people have no choice but to be defensive/racist back!

April 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
      • Bmwx

And your comment doesn't scream racism. I guess if you're racist against whites, its okay? Racist black folks are hypocrites.

April 5, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
    • Larry

Why "racist white folk"? That statement in itself is racist

April 5, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
      • infinit221

Well since whites have the track record of you enslaving, raping, and oppressing an entire race of people not that long ago...its hard to call black folks racist.

April 6, 2013 at 3:56 am |
      • Chris

Dude, whites hardly corner the market on past slavery. Everyone was guilty of that sin. Africans, Europeans, Asians, and Native Americans. Every great empire in every continent employed slavery. It doesn't excuse the practice, obviously, by by no means were caucasians the only ones. Not even the most recent ones.

April 6, 2013 at 4:14 am |
  25. ro

I couldn't believe there were segregated anything anymore!! This story is sad and inspiring! We are all people!! Color is beautiful! My family is of mixed races and we are one beautiful family! Love God, Love all!

April 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • Chris

Thank you, Ro. I couldn't agree more. You, sir or madam, are a class act.

People are people. We're all human, and in the end, the differences are small. We all want the same things: to be comfortable and happy.

April 6, 2013 at 4:22 am |
  26. Wiseman

If you tour the southern states outside metropolitan areas, you find how depressed and underdeveloped the rural areas. Their ideology has not changed since pre-civil war era as they froze in time. The south needs development; development means jobs and would result in bringing in outsiders to settle among their communities and influence their backward ideology. This should help in the curing process of wrong ideology of racial segregation.

April 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • Maggie May

Wiseman, you are not wise at all. Did you know that Florida is full of people who moved from the north. Georgia is one of the fastest growing states in our country (population wise) and people from the north are moving to Ga. in droves. Making a statement that the ideology of southerners is like pre-civil war times, is racist on your part. When and where do you visit the south? What areas of south (other than metropolitan) do you visit? Who have you discussed racism and proms with? Have you traveled throughout the country obtaining information from others concerning racial problems?

There may be some racial problems in the south but don't think for one minute that these problems don't exist in other parts of the country. The comments that I'm marking are not really related to the prom issue. Instead they are directed to you, Wiseman.

I was surprised when I heard the news about the segregated prom. I believe they should be integrated.

April 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
      • Chris

Been to the south. It's a terrible place. Give me the West coast any day.

April 6, 2013 at 4:25 am |
  27. jungleboo

Congratulations, Quanesha. You are a true leader. Leading does not have to be flashy and self-important. Leading is done by matter-of-fact example, and that's what comes naturally to you. Build on it in whatever you do, and the world will come to you for advice. Go for it!!

April 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
  28. Devon

Darwin wrote that the civilized races would replace the s@v@ge races. This philosophy taught that blacks were less evolved.

April 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • ryan

Ryan wrote that Devon was stupid. This philosophy thought that Devon was a racist pig.

April 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • Chris

Less evolved than what? Caucasians, Asians, Arabs, Native Americans?

If you'd actually studied evolution, you'd know something very important:
      Can two people of different race produce a child? Yes.
      Is that child infertile? No.
      Therefore, this reasons that the evolutionary distinction between the different races is quite miniscule. Evolved less? No, each just evolved differently in small ways to better suit their environs.

April 6, 2013 at 4:30 am |
    • Inkyguy

[Blowing lifeguard whistle] Hey, you, Devon, out of the gene pool now!

April 6, 2013 at 8:50 am |
  29. ryan

Wait. This didn't happen 40 years ago? Holy crap Georgia sucks.

April 5, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
  30. Kevin

No one forced the prom to be segregated. The students, White and Black, CHOSE that. Nothing wrong with that at all if they prefer to go to the prom with their own people.

April 5, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • fav

Read again the parents are doing this

April 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
      • Wiseman

Another bigot who is in denial.

April 5, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
    • Wiseman

Another bigot who is in denial. Sorry fav, the reply was meant for kevin.

April 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
      • Bmwx

You love to scream bigot and racist when you are the offending party.

April 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
  31. Hiroki

I think it is the time when more and more people in the world begin to be integrated socially, economically, and racially. In the past, the though of the racial segregation remained in the heart of people, but it has been fading away. It is partly because the new generation does not have the thought of segregation, in other words, they were born in the era that fellowship is commonplace. I hope that we all gather our power together to solve the problem facing the world.

April 5, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Kevin

I agree. Asia and Africa are still overwhelmingly Black and Asian and don't allow minority immigration. They have a serious racism problem

April 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
      • StacyTruth

Africa is not fully black. In fact, the top half of the continent is predominantly Arab (You ever heard of the Middle East?). Also, many of the harshest racist policies implemented in Africa were by WHITE minorities AGAINST the black natives (remember apartheid?). If black Africans are leary of integrating with whites who don't respect their culture or humanity, its clearly understandable.

April 5, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
      • Bmwx

Actually Stacy, whites live mostly in South Africa and are often discriminated against moreso than any black that's in the USA. There are very racist laws there that prevent a white person from holding the same status as some of the black farmers. Do a little research.

April 5, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
      • maryjane2013

What? There are millions of whites living all over Africa. Haven't you heard how many Portuguese are leaving Portugal and moving to Angola and Mozambique to work. Look it up.

April 16, 2013 at 9:07 am |
  32. bribarian

I wasnt sure if this would be about black victims or gay victims, but we knew CNN would have a victim story.

April 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • Smooth

You name should be "Barbarian" for that comment you made. I get the impression you're a racist!!!

April 5, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
      • Bmwx

You must be a liberal, smooth.

April 5, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
  33. Name*penguin

Most bible toting Christians are not racist, but most racists are bible spewing Christians

April 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Lindalou

completely agree! cannot believe this is happening in 2013. very, very, sad.

April 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • bribarian

l1btards and blacks are typically the most obsessed with race

April 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • Barbara

Great comment – sadly true.

April 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
  34. Al

Ignorance and racism. It's the Bible Belt Combo.

April 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • Maggie May

Al......... Are you prejudice towards the people who believe in the Holy Bible? Or just towards people who live in the Bible Belt?

April 5, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
      • Chris

Having been there, he has a point. That area of the US is an embarrassment to the rest of the nation.

April 6, 2013 at 4:34 am |
  35. What??

How has this been going on for so long?

April 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
  36. KrjMc

What kind of school would actually support segregation in this day and age and why has it gone on so long. This is why the south still needs to be babysat by the feds – they just will not grow up.

April 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • Bmwx

Boy, most of you here can't read! No where does it state that the school supports this. In fact, the pre are held by blacks for their children as it is done for whites. These are not school functions and aren't supported by the school. Do you only read the headline and just assume its whites being racist? Learn to read!

April 5, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
      • cef

Have you thought that the only reason that the black students have a separate prom is because the parents of the white students will not allow there children to attend an integrated prom?

April 6, 2013 at 1:45 am |
      • Chris

Cef, ever thought that it could be the other way around too?

April 6, 2013 at 4:35 am |
  37. Rickstas

For the old south, the Civil War will never be over; that's why they vote for Republicans.

April 5, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • Anya

During the Civil war the South was Democratic, and the North was Republican.

April 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
      • jungleboo

The Civil War was 160 years ago. Political parties morph and change with the time, something they are expected to do. Only a fool would define people and their affiliations in one single way and then stick to it for eternity.

April 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  38. Tish From Minnesota

I will never understand racism... When will ppl understand that WE CANNOT CHOOSE OUR OWN RACE? That principle should be fired!!

April 5, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
  39. Gary

Race mixing is a sin.

April 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
    • Crazyace

Bad troll is bad.

April 5, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • pjones006

Isn't speaking stupid also a sin?

April 5, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • Lionel

Get into the 21st century you bigot.

April 5, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • Dean Johnson

This is to Gary at the top of the page
      A quote from the bible, John 13:34
      "Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."-Jesus Christ
      It is a shame that such bigoted and hypocritical statements can still be prevalent in our society

April 5, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • LeRoy Feist

I bet you're a Tea Bagger (I mean Tea Party) lunatic...and you're probably a Southerner. How sad!

April 5, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
      • rabblerabble

you are probably a nigg er. how much sadder can you be?

April 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
      • ro

Wow! Rabble whoever the hell you are!! You are one sad disgusting person with your stupid comment! Get a life and learn some real words!

April 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
      • Bmwx

Wow Ro. It's okay for Leroy to be racist but only if its against whites? You condemn one but not he other? It's easy to see you must be a crying liberal who thinks racism is a one way street

April 5, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
      • Rabble

Ugh... Rabble is MY internet name, and this other rabble disgusts me.

April 15, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
    • longfoot

Gary,If mixing race is a sin, I bet at the end of the night there will be a lot of black guys sinning with the fat white girls.

April 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
      • lawless

How much you wonna bet...Those slim white girls wil be hang onto them muscular "Jocks" black boys...

April 6, 2013 at 1:38 am |
    • rabblerabble

who wants a nigg er at their prom? they'll get dirt all over the white people's dresses

April 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
      • LeRoy Feist

Ask your mother who I am. I'm sure she remembers.

April 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
      • LBB

You are a sad, sad individual.

April 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
      • Chris

Obvious troll is fail.

April 6, 2013 at 4:37 am |
    • KrjMc

Grow up

April 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • I'm 45 and live with my parents

I completely agree.

April 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • marcelinethevampirequeen

This guy probably doesn't even mean it . He's just trolling you. Calm down.

April 5, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
    • Agame

And by your idiotic comment it is obvious your parents are brother and sister. You are the poster child to prove inbreeding is a sin.

April 5, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • Inkyguy

Mein Fuhrer, is dat du? Afder alles des years. Ach du lieben! Nazis uber alles! Vee are avenged!

April 6, 2013 at 8:56 am |
    • mswhite

were you born in sweden or denmark????

April 6, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
    • maryjane2013

Who said? You? Get over it.

April 16, 2013 at 9:09 am |
  40. Bunny Roberts

I graduated high school in 1978 – In a south Georgia school. We had EVERYONE at our proms. No separation of any kind. I am a white woman with many black friends. My children have many, many black friends. I can't understand why this should even be an issue.

April 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • Lionel

Thank you, what a great post. It is so sad that this still happens. I do hope someone famous shows up at these kids prom to put it in the spotlight.

April 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • cef

This group of parents may be the last of there generation with this ideology. I'm glad these kids are stepping up and speaking out against this and taking action.

April 6, 2013 at 1:49 am |
  41. heythere

This is just said, and i agree if both white and black agree on this then neither side is being racist they are just ignorant. Also what is sad is the how many comments of people saying they had no clue this happens in 2013. segregation and our racist past has and always will leave an imprint on generations. we can be thankful that in each generation that print will fade, but understand it will never fully go away

April 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
  42. Really.....

You have no grounds on which to call me racist...If your white, great. If your Black...great...but are you doing? If you clearly see that I am supporting these kids for making the right decision their parents or school didn't even make...What are YOU trying to get at? There IS a difference in economy between White people, Black people, Latin, ect. Here in America...If you want to respond to me, at least respond with something intelligent...not some ridiculous question about "Soooo you think black people dont have any money/ or cant afford it.." No ....Im just stating what has happened for the most part in this Country. You are an here calling everyone and their mom a bigot...If you dont know what to say...dont say anything & keep it movin...

April 5, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
    • Really.....

@ Mike Wallace

April 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • pjones006

When you say "economy" are you referring to financial economy or intellectual economy? Hardly matters since making such generalizations only serves purpose to justify your inherent racist views.

April 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
  43. Kindle

So here's what I think is the worst part of this story. It reinforces the thing that you don't want to believe...that racism does still exist AND that parents are reinforcing the belief on a whole new generation. Just when you think we could be rid of it in a few years...you realize a whole new generation has been sullied. I assure you this is not just a southern thing. Please no one believe that. Also don't believe that racism is just between black and white; it exist between many ethnic groups. You can be proud of who and what you are without being racist. Someone above said something like why is the nation getting involved in this...I think because it is a national embarrassment and racist children grow to be racist adults. We all need to show that this will no be tolerated in the UNITED States of America.

April 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
    • Zombie Hunter

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. It is sad that in this day and age that some communities still support racist behavior. Furthermore, that parents would indulge in such acts that effect their children! I was raised in the deep south and never really saw racism as an issue. I hope one day we can ALL move past skin color and see that we are all unified as a human race, not by the shade of our melanin.

April 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
  44. Canadian

Wow... I thought this article was a joke at first... like a history lesson reminder or something like that. Cannot believe this actually still happens. Some traditions are meant to die... l

April 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
    • Nathan

I thought the exact same thing.

April 5, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • SK

Same here. Thought it was a "this week in history" article. sad

April 5, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
  45. Andrew Willis

Now if I wanted to seperate prom with only my own colour people around I support this would also be a non issue to CNN? I mean if freedom to associate is a basic human right then I can associate with whoever I choose. Or not???? Or are we really talking about forced integration here?

April 5, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • cedar rapids

I dont think anyone would be forcing you to buy a ticket so not sure its forced anything.

April 5, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
    • Zombie Hunter

There is a HUGE difference between holding color specific events and associating with certain groups of people at the same event. You were issued a brain at birth, please try to use it.

April 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • jungleboo

Andrew, perhaps the folks around the table at home were impressed with your logic. But looking at your logic, it doesn't really amount to much. You have our sympathy. Just don't embarrass yourself so gravely the next time you post, unless you like that kind of feeling. If so, then go for it!

April 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
  46. Elaine

What year is this, 2013? This is still an issue. Pitiful.

April 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  47. wmd

Cannot believe some places still behave this way, we are all equal!!!!

April 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
  48. Jc

Who are the racists? The white families that organize an all white prom, or the black families that organize an all black prom? Automatically assuming that the white folks are the racists is just ridiculous. I went to a predominantly black school on the south side of Chicago and wasnt allowed to run for homecoming king because I was white. I got the most votes by write-in, but they refused to allow me to participate. My friend Jermaine won, and walked over to give me the crown, and three large black teachers ran over and ripped it off my head. They said "this isn't for you!" One day we will finally admit that black people are just as racist as old white folks. Until then, I guess articles like this will bring more anti-white comments.

April 5, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • Dale in Alabama

Exactly! And you see, this happened in Chicago, which the last time I looked at a map, was NOT in the south.

April 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
    • Ghost

Whites have historically been racist towards blacks, this is why it's always assumed that they are the racist ones.

April 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
      • Dale in Alabama

Ghost – I assure you, blacks are just as "racist" as whites.

April 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

Ghost, that may be one of the most bigoted stereotypes I have seen here. And it completely discounts the notion of racism against whites (while, ironically, being a very racist comment to begin with).

April 5, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
      • Larry

a little racist there

April 5, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
    • longfoot

Where do they put the Asian kids?

April 5, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
      • oops

they are too busy leaving high school and going off to college to worry. in the US, asians are minorities whether they go to a predominantly white school or a preodominantly black school.

April 5, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
    • fav

Does it matter who's racist? The positive is these kids are willing to change!

April 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
    • David

Well since its as far back as they can remember I would just assume that it was white people intially and that the black people were then forced to make there own prom or just not have one. It's just weird that the school isnt throwing these parties in the first place.

April 6, 2013 at 12:40 am |
  49. Dale in Alabama

Why are the whites the only ones being labeled as racists here? The black kids were having their own prom too! This is not a situation that the nation has to weigh in on. It's for the residents of the county to decide what they want to do. The white prom wasn't a display of Rebel flags where they all dressed it white robes and hung some poor black guy and then danced and had punch. And the black prom wasn't a black panther rally for black power. These were simply parents and kids socializing with whom they chose.

April 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
    • Dale in Alabama

... AND, now they're chosing to do something different, which I think is a great thing. But I don't think they were wrong for doing it the way they chose to before. It's just the way it was.

April 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
      • Antonio

Dale – you are 100% right! I wish more of our people understood this!

April 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
    • gandfs

Who labelled anyone a racist? Nowhere in the story did I read any accusation that Whites are racist. Don't be so quick to throw the victim card.

April 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
      • Kindle

couldn't have said that better...

April 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
      • Dale in Alabama

GANDFS – have you read the comments? I'm not talking about the story itself. But since you mentioned it, while they didn't "say" racisit factors were involved, they certainly implied it.

April 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • gorgegirl

Are you really that stupid? Or just that much a racist product of the deep south?

April 5, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
    • cedar rapids

I think a question that has to be asked however, when you say about the black kids having their own prom too.....did they start having their own prom because they were not invited to the white prom or did both originally spring up at the same time?
      The anwer to that will determine how this situation is viewed.

April 5, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • jungleboo

If you researched the history of this strange little village, you might find that blacks and whites had separate schools before integration hit in the 60's. Because of this, neither race felt comfortable with the issue, and clung to their year-end dance to keep their foot in the pond, so to speak. And it just continued without anyone being brave enough to call it on the carpet. Quanesha's the girl who had the strength of character to follow her heart, and tradition be d.mned.

April 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
  50. Charlotte Ann Hu

Is this really the 21st century? Obviously not in Georgia. Are they living in the 1800s?

April 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
  51. Susan

Wow. America has just illustrated how uneducated they truly are. So sad they can't even see how sad this all is. Please visit other countries, get an education beyond your insular school systems and learn beyond your four block square radius. You're an embarrassment to yourselves.

April 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • LindaC

I feel the need to respond and typically I choose not to as I am old enough to know which battles to fight. But it really annoys me when someone classifies an entire population of people based on one very sad story. There is racism everywhere in the world (have you considered racism in other countries...seems to be quite a bit in the news outside of America). May I ask, have you ever actually lived in America? Unless you have then I suggest you do not really know what you are talking about. Yes, statistically there is a bit more racism evident in the South and again, this is a very sad story...one that makes me weep for mankind a bit. However, not all Americans are stupid. Not all of us are racists. In fact, moving abroad for work has actually opened my eyes to just how racist people in other countries can be. I have encountered more discrimination and stereotyping outside of America than I did the entire 35 years I lived there. Perhaps people should stop watching and/or believing shows that only portray Americans as ignorant. It comes down to how you treat people and how you live your life. And that goes beyond any borders of any country. I will suggest that we as Americans are a bit insular. By why wouldn't we be? Our country is vast. We have every climate, various cities, etc and we can experience a lot of different adventures and even cultural differences on our own land, where quite frankly, with what is going on in the world today...seems a bit safer. We also get very little time off so going abroad is not always an option. YES...people should pay attention to the outside world and experiencing other cultures is a great idea. But this should not allow you to suggest that all Americans are stupid and in fact makes you look rather ignorant.

April 7, 2013 at 12:32 am |
  52. Dale in Alabama

Why stereotype "the south"? There are plenty of places throughout the south – the majority, in fact – that are very much intergrated, rural or not. Just as much as any other state in the union. I'm sure "the south" is not the only place where race-relations can still be a problem. It is a black and white America – that's all there is too it. Otherwise, we wouldn't be making such a big deal about the "First black president" (whose mother, by the way, is a white woman). First black this, first black that. When do you expect to see the first white president of the NAACP? Not gonna happen. Black and white should harmonize; but they don't HAVE to mingle to get along. No one should be excluded, and no should be exhalted either. Dr. King and other leaders in the Civil Rights movement did not intent to make the white man the minority – they simple wanted equality. We're far past that now. Now, the white man must suffer for the sins of his father.

April 5, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • duh

Yes I assure you, its only the south.

April 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
      • Dale in Alabama

It isn't only the south. It isn't only the US. It isn't only 2013. It will be this way for as long as there is life of earth.

April 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
  53. JeromeBaker

Ya'll are all racist if it's not the black and whites in this article its the rednecks in the south, the daouch yankess in dirty, nasty, smelly, crowded, grey, polluted NE, the mexicans in TX, the Mormans in Utah, the gay haters in Mississippi, get the F over it. It's America we can hate who ever we want we don't need CNN or Obama to tell us we need to integrate our crap if I dont want to invite a black person to my party thats my shiz.

April 5, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • longfoot

You might be missing the point Jerry, It's not your party it's a school prom. Black or White shouldn't matter. If they're hot, let them dance. Make the fat chicks have a seperate prom

April 5, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
      • Bmwx

I hunk you are the one missing the point long foot. It's NOT a school prom. The dance is put together outside of school by parents and students. If they don't want to mingle, no one can make them do so. It's their money. It's their private prom.

April 5, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
  54. Evan G.

It's just prom...

April 5, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  55. phneutral

Don't ever say the state of Georgia is not progressive.

April 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • gorgegirl

The state of Georgia is "regressive" – not progressive.

"This year Wilcox County High School in Abbeville finally allowed an integrated homecoming court, but the winner, Quanesha Wallace, wasn't permitted to attend the "white" homecoming party because she's black."

Now, tell me again how "progressive" the discrimination of minorities in the south is.

The way the School Board got around the discrimination was by making all the school dances and proms "private".
      That also included apparently the Homecoming Dance not to mention the YEARBOOK which is apparently segregated as well.
      the school superintendent allowed everyone to continue their "segregated ways" – his statement is clear to that effect:
      "I fully support these ladies, and I consider it an embarrassment to our schools and community that these events have portrayed us as bigoted in any way.”

Yes, they are bigoted.

April 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
      • marcelinethevampirequeen

Okay so you want to say that the STATE of Georgia is regressive so you judge us based off of ONE SCHOOL!
        Your argument sucks!

April 5, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
      • Bmwx

Whoa. Did you read the article? She wasn't denied admittance to a white homecoming. She went to her black homecoming. The king, who was white, went to his respective homecoming. Do you racists even bother to read?

April 5, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
  56. jean macdonald

I just wanted not say that I hope these girls get the integrated prom. This is 2013 this should not be happening...all these young people are friends and they should be together at their prom. The state of Georgia should get out of the 1800's and join join us in the real world..I am very proud of these young ladies...

April 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • JeromeBaker

Dude McDonald, Georgia is 2013. Just because those people don't want their children going to a dangerous prom doesn't make them bad people. If EVERYONE had respect it wouldn't be an issue. I don't know if you have been to a intergrated school that was literally half and half, but if you did you would want the proms as seperate as possible.

April 5, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
      • WhatsamattaU

Dude, time to go sleep it off.

April 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
      • Joe

Dude Jerome, why do you keep showing your stupidity – over and over again!

April 5, 2013 at 9:44 pm |
      • marcelinethevampirequeen

"I don't know if you have been to a intergrated school that was literally half and half, but if you did you would want the proms as seperate as possible."
        I come from a school where whites are a MINORITY, and we don't even think to have segregated proms.
        What the heck do you think is going to happen anyways? Blacks and whites will just suddenly out of nowhere start killing each other at the school dance?! Maybe in 1856 or 1963 it would happen but this is 2013! And despite this we HAVE improved!

April 5, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
      • mswhite

so they will fight at the proms but not at or after school?

April 6, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
  57. Chrissy

They do know its 2013 right??

April 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
    • Dajour Shinya

this is simply just unfortunate... the southern states are something else.... Smfh

April 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

Thank you for that display of ignorance and bigotry by lamenting a gross generalization over the "Southern states."

April 5, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
      • lol...

Lol Mike...Give it up...we get it... your an offended southern racist.....keep it movin...

April 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

How am I racist, exactly?

April 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
    • jasmine

Its obvious the students want this to happen and are making it happen. All adults who think otherwise should take note because there is something to be taught here. People can not help what color they are born or which family born into. Its about loving thy neighbor and all getting along. But of course there are going to be naysayers,dont listen to them.

April 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
    • L

I am shocked.

April 5, 2013 at 4:14 pm |
    • Dale in Alabama

Yes – I'm quite sure they know what year it is. A racial divide does not mean that they are completely ignorant. Do not judge a group of people just because of the actions of a few. The white kids weren't the only ones having their "own prom". The black kids were having their own prom too!

April 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
  58. eJonP

Actually, one of the most telling things about this story is hidden between the lines. As the article says, the superintendent put up an open letter supporting the prom (I know, because I read it yesterday morning). It has since been removed, presumably because of complaints from the racist parents.

Very sad this is still happening in 2013.

April 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
    • jasmine

These racists parents have a great deal to learn and what they are teaching their children is to hate....thats just whats wrong in todays' world and it needs to stop! No-one is better than anyone else in this world.

April 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
  59. rosethornne

Huh?
    Is this 2013 or 1913?

April 5, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  60. Jarvis

I'm from nc and the white families at my school organized their own prom. Although it is not specifically for white students only, that is essentially what the point was. The rest of us just went to our prom and had a good time. This is more common than people think. And honestly, it's less of a big deal than people think.

April 5, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • Big Daddy Bill

There in lies the problem... you don't think it is a big deal.

April 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • Small Town Girl 211

Well said...

April 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
    • Pensimmon

It is appalling, the more so because you, and others like you, think it is no big deal. It is huge.

April 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
      • Jarvis

You mean "others like me/you" who go on about living their lives and don't get riled up over other people's prejudices? Why would I stop everything I'm doing to argue with an idiot who won't change his mind?

April 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
      • smartaz

Why bother worrying about it? You cannot force people to change the way they think.

April 5, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • Candi3112

NC...oh my goodness. I am from NC as well and it is really sad that you feel it is no big deal. Even more so that your parents don't think of it as a big deal. Sad very Sad indeed.

April 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
  61. brown

It won't be long before the "integrated" prom is ruined by gunshots and violence.

Everywhere the black man walks the ghetto soon follows!

April 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • Big Daddy Bill

What a moronic comment. Racism is alive and well unfortunately.

April 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
    • HCG

That is so not true. Being white and living in a community where I am the minority I stronbgly vouch for all the black youth that I deal with and they are respectable, poilte, well educated young poeple. don't catagorize and underneath as much as you might hate to admit it we are all the same. The only reason a black person's skin is dark is because they lived in hot countries. Do you homework before making such stupid comments. Goi for it you kids and have agreat time together and don't let these recial bigots get in your way.

April 5, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
      • Meme

Amen

April 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
      • hippie power 69

amen again. as the world keeps becoming brown one day we are going to be the same color. then what will stupid people do to hate each other? brown eyes, blonde hair or what??

April 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
    • mizzterb

Racists are the same people committing war crimes and making the country look bad. If the act like this in their own country how can they be expected to conduct themselves in somebody else's. The vast majority of Americans are law abiding citizens people who think its a good idea to behave like this in 2013 are the reason the world hates us.

April 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • mizzterb

@brown your name rhymes with clown.

April 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • Candi3112

what an IGNORANT moran!!!

April 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
    • Name*bbp

shows how ignorant people are these days.... crazy how they're still stuck in the past...they only see one thing and that is the skin color, the outside not the inside of a person... oh well. YOU ARE FORGIVEN! And may God bless you brown!!^^

April 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
  62. Sivick

Can someone tell the south it's the 21st century?

April 5, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
    • Mike Wallace

If you ever left your mother's basement long enough to stop being a bigot, you might realize that the South is largely integrated, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of northern states where I have lived.

April 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
    • Big Daddy Bill

We are talking about integrated proms now?!?! What the hell is wrong with these people?

April 5, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
  63. Pam

If having diversity in your family is the test for racism these days, then myself and everyone in my family will always be racist for having done nothing to change it. Oops. All black and all white families are inherently racist.

April 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
  64. Lucycat1

The fact that this is an issue in the 21st century is appalling.

April 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
  65. Anton

Corporation alert

Never invest in Georgia unless you want to travel a 100 years into the past.

The ignorant school officials and parents left it up to kids to right this wrong.

What were adults doing, playing banjos and pulling their own teeth out.

Never visit or invest in Georgia.

April 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • Mike Wallace

You are quite the bigot.

April 5, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
      • Anton

Georgia. The backwards state.

April 5, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

Good retort. I am neither from Georgia nor have I ever lived there.

April 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

I think your mother is calling you to come back upstairs now. Angry is no way for you to go through life, even if you did just find out that you were conceived because your father managed to run faster than his sister.

April 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
      • Anton

Did I upset you mike? Remember that speech about anger.

You sure put a lot of thought into the placement of sleeping quarters in houses and the birthing canal??? Little weird ??

I'm glad u don't live in Georgia. Less dollars for them.

Keep up the fight.

April 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

You poor little troll. You can't even comprehend the difference between anger and mockery.

April 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
      • Meme

Very funny haha did you learn that word today in Kindergaden Mike Wallace, it's like your 3rd "bigot" comment. Not very smart and for the other idiot Anton, past tense blacks couldn't do nothing about, hello look how long it took that a story was written about this as the first integrated prom, wow first and last time I make a comment no wonder America is going down the toilet. God people really do you guys need someone to teach you some common sense, you guys are the real trolls around here. F-ing Joke the both of you...Bigotidi is as Bigotididumb!

April 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

Meme. please learn proper English. I am sorry that you believe the proper application of a word is to be considered "dumb." Your apparent lack of education is what is really dragging this country down.

April 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
      • Really.....

...Mike......
        F*#& off.... your the bigot..
        Go watch Django and hate your life.....

April 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm |

What?

April 5, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

Once again, Really: You are the definition of a hypocrite and a bigot. The truly sad thing is that you do not seem to have the intelligence to realize it. That you think thatI should be inherently poor or helpless because my skin is black just further underlines your racism. And now you tell me to go hate my life for it? Yeah. Way to go.

April 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm |
      • Really.....

you have completely missed the point today....Thinking I am a racist...shows just you dumb you are......

April 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • JeromeBaker

Georgia doesn't need another Anton. We already have plenty. Stay in Jersey where you belong.

April 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • Really.....

playing banjos ......lmfao...... that got me to laugh soooo hard lololol.

April 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
  66. SunnyD

The fact that the principle and school board allowed segregated proms for so long means they have the support of the community. To fix things requires somebody declaring they are broken. Why fix things if they arn't broken is the mentality.

April 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Merlin

They're not school sponsored. I'm fairly sure the segregated proms wouldn't even be permitted to use school facilities, but would be allowed to display posters or hand out fliers for the event, as the latter is protected by the first amendment.

At least, that's what I suspect, I haven't researched any of this.

April 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
      • marcelinethevampirequeen

According to the local news the prom was on school property, then they got kicked out, and now they are having a private one.

April 5, 2013 at 9:58 pm |
  67. Eric

I grew up in a small town in GA not to far from Wilcox. We had integrated proms. Yes it was just not white an black we had all ethnic groups. This was in 1990 and also 1991. The real problem is that the school does not want to sponsor the prom unlike my school district. When we were at the prom everyone acted like family because in all actuality we grew up together and felt like brother and sisters. Even this day we all still communicate and treat each one of our classmates as family. I had my 20 year reunion a few years back and it was like we had never missed a beat. So I applaude the young men and women for doing this.

April 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • jgumbrechtcnnCNN

Thanks for sharing, Eric. The fact that some students still attend segregated proms is surprising to a lot of our readers. Having grown up nearby, what seemed more typical for the area while you were in high school - segregated, private proms, or integrated school-sponsored proms? Does it surprise you that there are still segregated proms now?

April 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
      • JeromeBaker

No, white people moved to white suburbs where their kids could go to white proms.

April 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
  68. cyndii

Welcome to the 21st century Ga! 🙂

April 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • JeromeBaker

Screw you Cindii

April 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
  69. Meme

This is really a sad story, my heart breaks that this nonsense still exists. How is this even possible? Could you imagine if the real american's you know the Native American Indian would have asked all of the "Europeans and Christopher Columbus, etc" for their green cards and told them they couldn't stay here. The simple fact that most people don't remember their history! NOBODY is from this country unless you're an Indian, smh. The way I see it if your white and racist then you should look up your gene pool history and go back to whatever white country you come from and live in your perfect non colored world and leave everyone else the hell alone! Being racist should be a crime and come with a punishment of living with a family of the race you hate for a year so you can learn how to be a human with compassion. Sad Sad world that this is still happening with all of the progress generations have made. I can't wait for these racist dinosaurs to be erased from the world.

April 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Jim Mars

Hey troll read the article, both BLACKS and WHITES are being racist in this scenario!!! Go back under your rock and leave the rest of us alone!!

April 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
      • Meme

Listen @ssWipe, this tradition was started by whites with black people not being able to do nothing about it, Second it's very obvious that racist people still run the town. Don't be surprised if the next article about this story is about someone being killed due to trying to change "tradition". Yes both races are responsible but I'm pretty sure black people in that town get intimidated and treated badly on a daily basis, why do you think this is still going on. Think bro think. smh

April 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
      • cyn507

really? you think all the non whites got together and said we don't want to go to a dance w/the whites? That is exactly why the south (thankfully) will never rise again. you refuse to even admit that there is a problem w/your thinking and your values. What I want to know is where do the asian kids & latino kids go to prom?

April 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • reddragon

when you say... "not being able to do nothing about it" it's called a double negative and actually means that something was done. just sayin. The article was good, the person you are yelling at was pointing aout that that both sides did this. Obviously you would be one of the reasons that racism exists.

April 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
      • Meme

Your comment is noted...that you really had nothing to say then correct my grammar. FYI I'm bi-racial so um no, I have every color in the book in my family. I use to get picked on because my mother is black and I "look white" so nobody thought she was my Mother and that was when I learned about how racist people can be. So I made it my business to learn as much as I could about American History so people like you I can shut them up. Next time you want to correct grammar how about you just don't say anything. The average English speaking person knew what I meant so it's very obvious your either still in college living with mommy dearest or your're just a super nerd. Be quiet..

April 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm |

Bigoted much, Meme?

April 5, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
      • Anton

What a joke.

Your version of not being responsible is to ignore long history of subjugating minorities in the south.

You're a clown if you think blacks had any other choice then to follow this pattern in this racist town.

April 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

What's racist is you continuing to make claims that people with black skin are inherently helpless. I take great offense to that. We are not.

April 5, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • JeromeBaker

Meme you suck

April 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
      • Meme

You know what let me be ignorant in grammar, then be like people like you, You say I suck no you suck, pointing out that my "grammar is bad" is a weak argument. Find a friend you need one!

April 5, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • Amy

Black people from that town is treated no different than the whites. If you are not from that town don't judge them. I am from that county so I can tell you what I think. If they want a prom together so be it go for it but don't except handouts for it get out and raise your money. I'm not saying do it on tv so people will feel sorry for you.

April 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
  70. SunnyD

The fact that this is news, now, today, seems to indicate that although we say racism is a thing of the past, in certain places it is so engrained in daily life that people think segregation is "normal". Don't worry, the Supreme Court will try their best to keep it that way by reversing laws meant to end segregation in any form.

April 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
  71. H

It is a little unbelievable that we are taking about this in 2013, but it is fairly common in the rural South. Often even the schools themselves are segregated, in that every white without exception attends private schools and only blacks are in public schools.

April 5, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  72. Bill

reply if you clicked through because the girls in the picture were cute

April 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
  73. LOVE

Its really said that people still have that mind. How can parents teach their kids separation from another race. America is the home of many people from different families if we can not live together then we will all be destroyed. I can see if we where a one race country but we are America the home of many homes in this world.

April 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  74. Carlton

Whenever you read posts on the internet, you see just how ignorant many Americans still are!

April 5, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
  75. historygeek6

Wait a second!!! I was told the election of Barack Obama in 2008 proved we were post-racial? No more need for Affirmative Action? No more need for the Voting Rights Act? No more hate crimes. One big happy family? What gives here? Did somebody lie to me?

April 5, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  76. Katsuryn

my co-workers response to this perfectly sums this up: When i told them they had segregated proms he looks confused and said "segregated by what?" This shouldn't be an issue any longer, it is not something people even think about, but it still happens at a school? I also think that the districts blame of the proms on independent sources just show their lack of back bone, inactivity is condoning it. iThis is the adults passing on their out-of-date racist ideas, and it takes the new generation of thinkers to stand up to it.

April 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  77. abbydelabbey

I could not believe it when I first heard on the news about segregated proms ... What is wrong with this community? This is 2013, not 1913!

The school should have been holding integrated proms - we did back when I was in high school many, many, many moons ago ...

April 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • MPawesome-o

The white parents don't want there kids to get stabbed.

April 5, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
      • peoplethesedays

Seriously? Stop being ignorant and learn basic grammar.

April 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • jenn

THNAK YOU!! SEGRAGATION IS OVER......WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS TOWNS PARENTS. IF YOU WANT TO GET TECHICAL, WE ALL HAVE COME FROM AFRICAN AMERICANS, If YOU TAKE EVERY WHITE PERSON'S DNA, SPLICE IT AND GENETICALLY TEST IT, AFRICAN AMERICAN IS IN THERE!! IGNORANCE!!!

April 5, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
      • Common Sense

What are you stupid? America has only been around since 1776. We all have African DNA. Not African-American DNA.

April 5, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  78. WHATSYOURPOINT

I have news for all of you. I have lived all over the world as a soldier of 32 years and I have never run into the quality of hate and modern day ignorance that exists in the western suburds of Phila, Pa. It makes the georgia rnecks seem somewhat kind. Then again, I must say in order of hate/ignorance there is no lead state. They are ALL the same. It's how one carries themselves.

April 5, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  79. Brenn

How integrated is YOUR life beyond (hopefully) your work place? How integrated are visitors to your home and your visits to others, and how integrated are the church services that you attend? How integrated is your facebook list of "friends" other than one or two people of a different race or ethnicity? To quote Michael Jackson, "If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change."

April 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • WHATSYOURPOINT

..and "I'm not gonna live my life being a color"

April 5, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
      • barbara451

homage to MJ

April 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • Mike D Porkchop

You beat me to it, Brenn. How integrated is this country... really? I preach tolerance and respect and integration will eventually come. If you cram it down people's throat, you'll get resistance. It's a marathon not a sprint.

April 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
    • Kindle

Interesting question. My church is mostly White(I'm Not) but that is a factor of my location. I have friends of all nationalities but most of my friends are black. What i think i most proud about as i looked at the congregation and bridal party of my recent wedding was that we truly had an integrated crowd. I don't think I'm that much of an anomally (forgive spelling). I think it changes per generation which is why this story is so appalling because secretly most of us want the next generation to be better than ours in this area. This kinda shows that it might not be and for all those who truly think racism doesnt exist it's a wake up call.

April 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
  80. precioushyna

I am sincerely amazed at this article...no clue whatsoever that such occurred. I was born and raised in Cali, but now in Tenn...and Georgia only hours away...who would have thought...but props to the students of Wilcox...

April 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
  81. sanityrules

Out of a sense of common decency the private parties thrown at private venues need to go. The Proms should be held in the Gym or at a donated facility so that all can go. The private Prom just divides the kids by how much money their parents have.

April 5, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
    • sanityrules

All kids can and should know how to have a great time without spending lots of money.

April 5, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
      • Really......

agreed.....Too bad most the southerners who comment here dont agree......

April 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

Why do you insist on being a bigot, Really? It is no wonder you are too much of a coward to assign your name to your comments.

April 5, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  82. JeromeBaker

If everyone acted right intergrated proms wouldn't be an issue. Poeple think Proms aren't "segregated" and "Oh, Georgians are so backwoods," they say this from their white only suburbs in their sprawling city with 5 highschools within 3 miles. In rural Georgia it's different, you have a 15 year old white daughter would you want her going to an urban club or a private party. Get off your high horse.

April 5, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
    • Really......

A Prom is not an Urban club, Its a night every high school student should enjoy together.....Yet another southerner shoots himself in the foot when it comes to race.....

And yes, there are racists in the city too...But most people in Atlanta atleast (to give an example of a big city) live together without thinking about race every day of their lives..... But in my life...I have realized the most racist places in the US are the rural areas...like central/southern Georgia...and the rich communities (gated comm. suburbs with one prominent race) all across the nation. Those 2 types of places...you cant even say hi to someone because they wont even respond....if your skin is colored. and come to think about it....those rich communities probably explain why we still have a mostly white senate in 2013.....but yes..race is still a very big issue in this country.

April 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • WHATSYOURPOINT

Things will never "stay" the same. The world is changing too fast and furious for this backwards mentality. There is not much left in these little towns for kids after high school, so why not teach them to exist and succeed in the real world of diversity. It is sad and quite obvious to encounter kids that has lived in a separate reality all their lives, no interacting with anyone or anything that's different from their comfort zone. They have such a difficult time adjusting to the truth. Old heads remember "You can't stop the rain..."

April 5, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
      • Really......

lol...let all those racist old farts try to stop the rain with their weak hands... the more my generation comes into power, the more the older generations will realize how stupid their mentality is on everything from race to world views.....I would hate to be part of the older generations because most of them just walk around like horses with blinders on......unable to see the world for what it really is.....

April 5, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • Person of Interest

I live near East St. Louis. While East Side has their own school many of those Black kids go to schools outside that district, as do the Hispanics in Fairmont City, my suburban white self went to Prom with these kids. Many of whom were poor, while I was middle class. Our Prom Board raised enough money for our Prom to be held downtown St. Louis, where there are "Urban Clubs" right down the road. We had people from all walks of life at our Prom, from the white farm boy to the black boy with an afro.

I've had more white people from State Park try to kill me than people from E. St. Louis or Fairmont. If you're scared of an "Urban Club", you've obviously never been to one and should try getting out of the tavern every once in awhile. People are people, skin color describes a persons personality/character less importantly than the clothes they wear or the car they drive.

April 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
      • JeromeBaker

You take my word Urban Club too literally. I don't want to go to an Urban Club, I'm not looking for that kind of "scene." What you need to understand is you dont want to put your family in a situation that could potentially harm them. I am glad in St. Louis, the murder capital of the world, you can get along with the hispanics from the westside the balck in the East and I'm glad you know their neighborhoods so specifically. Like I said get off your horse middle class snob.

April 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
    • Really.....

Telling people to get off "their high horse" yet you ride the tallest one......trying to find excuses for you bigoted mind....
      you can tell how racist you are by the way you write your comments starting with calling a diverse high school prom an "Urban club"

April 5, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
    • gorgegirl

In my area of the country, just as many minorities live in the suburbs as in the inner city, You use excuses for your racism – doesn't work.

April 5, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  83. messickc

Why are we only lambasting the white people? It is a tradition on both sides. The black parents are every bit as culpable as the white parents.

April 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • Really......

I see that you wrote "The word is 'separated. Sincerely, An ignorant white Southerner" in reply to Nor'easter. I got that it was sarcastic, and the point was to show that southern people are smart too. Here is where your logic fails, and I face palm and sigh.............***sigh****......here we go..........
      These white parents have MONEY to throw a private party for their white kids. I bet you on anything, that the Black parents didn't/couldn't pay for a private party for their kids in Country club or something. So where does that leave the kids (who dont share their parents retarded hate.) Considering your history, dont you think that is kinda cruel? No? of course not! Your from the south...where white people are always right....even if their ancestors were racist murdering slave owners... But ya... let's blame the Black parents as well right............
      That's why most of the Country sees the south as a bunch of inbred idiots....

April 5, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
      • JeromeBaker

booo shut up you suck

April 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm |

"Really....."

Why do you think that black people cannot have money?

April 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
      • DCBuck

What a bunch of nonsensical drivel. If the black parents were that poor, where have they been holding their prom? In the street? What messickc is saying is that there's plenty of blame to go around on BOTH sides. Regardless, congrats to the kids involved in this effort.

April 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
      • Really......

No... there is only one particular group to blame in this....and that is the group that holds the upper hand... "We dont want these colored kids mixing with our white kids" so what do they do?? Throw an expensive private COUNTRY CLUB party for them...You asked why I though black parents couldn't do the same thing???? because historically who has been the one always feeling superior at country clubs, while denying entrance, and belittling the other race?

April 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
      • ND

What is ironic about your comment how you generalize that ALL the white kids are rich and ALL the black kids are poor and therefore the "White Prom" must be better than the "Black Prom".
        Look in the mirror then point your finger when accusing others of being racist. The door of racism swings both ways.

April 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

You did not answer my question, Really. Why is it that you are such a bigot (bordering on being a racist?"

April 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
      • Really......

to be honest with you Mike Wallace... I am not anywhere near close to racist...My circle of family and friends is a diverse one. What attracts me to someone is not the color of their skin, but the content of their character. what irritates me is hearing people justify segregation... why are we even having this discussion?!?!.... why are there people today that still think that this is OK....

It's beyond frustrating to see people create excuses for their messed up mentality.... If your racist, then dont beat around the bush...just say you dont want a diverse culture and that it. But then dont expect me (a "minority" in this country) to befriend you...as a matter a fact, racist have bred anti-racist. people who wont take or tolerate that crap...

To answer your question, It specifically states in the article "Not everybody is excited about the idea. Posters for the integrated prom were torn off the walls of the high school. Students who usually plan dances didn't get involved with this one. Nothing was different about this year's homecoming dances: Quanesha, the queen, is black. The king, white. She thought she might get an invite to the other prom, but they went to separate dances, and appear in separate yearbook photos, she said."

April 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
      • SunnyD

You guys are missing the point. An integrated prom means nothing. It's the least that can be done to demonstrate overcoming segregation. The true test is, are mixed couples allowed.

April 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

So not only are you a bigot and bordering on being a racist by insisting that people with black skin must inherently be poor, but you lack the cognitive ability to formulate a logically valid argument. None of my comments have come close to "So you justify them separating their kids prom by race?....fine... Then get ready for the backlash and the mirror that will be held up to your ugly, distorted racist face." You just make up positions, assign them to indivduals, and attack that superficial and unequivalent position.

Heck, you do not even know my ethnicity. You are the definition of a hypocrite and a bigot. The truly sad thing is that you do not seem to have the intelligence to realize it.

April 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • gorgegirl

Are you naïve enough to think the "white prom" private party planners would actually accept a black intruder? That is just stupidity to even think that.

April 5, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  84. Tammy

I am a white female, mother and business owner. The segregated prom is wrong! But there is a problem with the belief we shouldn't see color. Being "color blind" defeats the purpose. We need to see color and realize the barriers and lack of opportunity that occur because of a persons race.

April 5, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • Kate

I would go a little further and say it would be wonderful if we could start celebrating our diversity. All races have one thing in common – we are people before anything else.

April 5, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
    • gorgegirl

Hallelujah – somebody gets it!!!!!

April 5, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
  85. I live in ATL

and living anywhere else in Georgia besides Atlanta or the surrounding areas...is like moving 200 years into the past...
    gotta hate these racist rednecks....they should all move to one big island...or maybe we can detach Texas from the Country and send them all floating away on it...

April 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • SunnyD

I say, send them all to Texas and threaten to give Texas back to Mexico. That would take care of a lot of our problems included the border problem.

April 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
  86. Passionella

Welcome to 1960's Middle Georgia thinking 50 yrs later. Lived with this Heart of Georgia mentality for 2 painful years. Yes racism and small-minded thinking is rampant in heartless middle Georgia. These people need to stop living in the 60's and get out of their single wides once in a while!

April 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
  87. Nor'easter

Sometimes I wish the south would have stayed seperated, and they keep whining they want to be, can we just let them now? All they do is breed (or inbreed?) ignorance down there.

April 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • AreaMan

The word is "separated," genius.

April 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • Krissy

Whoa there, Nor'easter. I am Southern (live in Nashville) and in no way support the belief of a segregated anything. It is embarassing to me when the South does have articles like this pop up – but please remember not to generalize a whole group of people because of the belief of some.

April 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
      • I live in ATL

I know alot of good southern people too...But you cannot deny that this type of BS happens mainly in the south...and if it happens anywhere else in the Country, you can best believe that they either lived in the south before, or have most of their family there with similar thoughts about racism ...cause racism is here today because of the idiots who refuse to know the difference between right, and wrong.....and the south has an impeccable record when it comes to that...

April 5, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
      • messickc

I live in ATL,

It happens EVERYWHERE equally regardless of location above or below the Mason-Dixon Line. Actually now, most of it happens above it– Montana, the Dakotas– Up-state NY.

April 5, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
      • Mike Wallace

"happens mainly in the South."

Have you traveled anywhere else in the US? It just gets the most air time when it happens in the South. It is ignored when it happens in New Jersey.

April 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
    • messickc

The word is 'separated.'

Sincerely,
      An ignorant white Southerner

April 5, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • JeromeBaker

your dumb

April 5, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
    • M.E.

I frequently wish that the north would have just shrugged and let the south secede without bothering with the civil war. The south is just a massive economic and social weight that drags down the rest of the country.

April 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
  88. OldSchool

Wow, what year are we in? Oh, this is in Georgia, Carry on...

April 5, 2013 at 11:49 am |
  89. LCB

Hard to believe this race/color issue is still 'alive and well' – obviously being fostered by adults – passing their inherited prejudices on to their offspring – in this land of the FREE? (on paper) home of the BRAVE! (who choose to stand up to bullying bigots). Congratulations to those who embrace their equality, and allow their hearts and minds to lead them in this seemingly never-ending struggle.

April 5, 2013 at 11:26 am |
    • Jo

I know, right? You'd think this was 1953 or something...

April 5, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  90. Confused Individual

Notice it's just the whites parents fault in the story. It's a tradition on both sides, but this is a liberal point of view from CNN as usual I wouldn't expect any less.

April 5, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • Small Town Girl 211

Best point yet....

April 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • Kindle

I guess I'm surprised that of all the things to comment on this is what concerns you most. I am sure there are black and other minority parents who question an integrated prom....SURE OF IT. However being from a small town in GA, i've found that White establishement still controls what happens in the town and usually by any means neccessary. I'm 33 and the town I am from is pretty much still segragated; with whites attending the private school in town and black attending the public school. It's been that way since deseg. Most of the whites in the public school system are from the rural towns around that area nad couldn't afford the private school. Just something for you to consider.

April 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  91. TC

There are STILL segregated proms? I had no idea. What the heck are the parents who sponsor such disgusting things thinking?

Are these states still in the stome age?

April 5, 2013 at 11:16 am |
  92. Christopher

I wonder if Valdosta High School (also in South Georgia) ever decided to integrate their prom. When I was in high school from 1996 – 2000, while attending Lowndes High School across town, Valdosta High had 2 proms: one school sponsored prom and one private prom. The school sponsored prom became the defacto black prom because all of the white students and their parents hosted a private invitation-only prom. Sad.

April 5, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  93. rh

Can you go to both, or neither, if you are mixed race? And where do Asians go?

April 5, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • GINA

ITHEY SAID IT WAS INTEGRATED(combining or coordinating separate elements so as to provide a harmonious, interrelated whole: an integrated plot; an integrated course of study) AN INTEGRATED PROM... TO INCLUDE ALL.....

April 5, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • jgumbrechtcnnCNN

Hi rh - CNN affiliate WXGA reported that a biracial student attempted to attend the white students' prom last year and was turned away by police. To be clear, the proms are private parties, so there aren't official or school-sanctioned rules about who attends.

April 5, 2013 at 11:24 am |
    • bw

Asians? In GA???? .. Now your realy stretching....

April 5, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
      • Dusty

There are not that many Asians in this particular part of the state but Chamblee in Atlanta has been nicknamed Chambodia. There is a huge Asian population in metro Atlanta.

April 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
      • Charlotte Ann Hu

My Chinese brother-in-law is in South Carolina and feels almost as out of sorts as my former South Korean colleague who is now living in Oregon. Houston is the best for Asians.

April 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm |