June 21st, 2012

What would you do with a mean kid?

What would you do if you learned your kid was a bully?

In Greece, New York, parents of middle school students who taunted a 68-year-old bus monitor saw it happen on a video that went viral; it captured students hurling insults, threats of physical and sexual assault at Karen Klein. One comment she couldn't ignore referenced Klein’s son, who committed suicide a decade ago.

Middle schoolers bully bus monitor, 68, with stream of profanity, jeers

Police and the school district where the incident took place are publicly grappling with how best to discipline the students involved. Meanwhile, the CNN community has weighed in on Facebook and on CNN.com about what they would do if their own kids were the culprits in such an intense case of cruelty.

Some commenters on CNN.com felt students’ threats rose to the level of harassment and police action should be taken. Some comments are edited for clarity.

antoinette18
One kid actually said that if he would stick a KNIFE in her, it would be like cutting through butter. That is a THREAT. It went beyond teasing to actually touching her, threatening her with bodily injury through a weapon and sexual assault. They should all be charged as adults. Their parents should be responsible. They are raising animals. And the parents should be forced to take parenting classes and boot camp.

Colorista
 The harassment and threats should be punished legally.  In addition, that big chunk of community service is warranted but I would add that there is a "supervisory clause" and that a parent must be present and participate in all of the hours with their little darlings.  Since it is the end of the school year, they should be banned from riding the bus for the first month of school in the fall.  Failure to attend/get to school in that time frame means more service hours for mom/dad/miscreant.  I am all for a parental boot camp.

BinaryTruth, Truth can be found in logical, rational thinking.
 Bullies will stop when they face actual consequences for their behavior. It really is that simple.

Michael Cox
It's called harassment and it is a crime and the ones that said they wanted to sexually assault her could be charged with more.  I would personally give them all 1,000 hours of community service and have their parents write her a letter of apology that they would have to publicly read for what their teenagers did since they haven't taught them any discipline or manners.

Kevin Huan Le
I don't give a crap how old they are, I've been angry for the past two days since I've seen the video.
 I hope they suffer in prison and get charged as adults for such verbal tormenting to a senior.
You just do not make fun of death.

On Facebook, many felt society shoulders the blame for kids behavior, but the responsibility to teach respect starts at home.

Joseph R Kramer This is a direct result from a change in our society and parenting. I am only 28, but I can remember when I was a kid and was disrespectful to anybody I paid for it when I got home. Beating these kids is not the answer...but it is next to impossible to teach kids any sort of respect with the way things are now in the schools and what they are watching on TV or finding online. I blame the parents and a majority part of society, these kids will just laugh at punishment.

Sue-z M. Tatum What is wrong with this generation? Wow, these parents need to sit these little brats down and tell them...how it was back in the day, and show some respect...UNREAL!!!

Anna Foss Moore That's ridiculous, if any of those were my kids I'd spank them. Thankfully I've raised my kids to be more respectful and also to be kind. Parents these days have got to figure it out and learn to actually discipline they're kids, otherwise you're just raising a bunch of spoiled little brats who think they're special and should instead be in jail where at least the only other ones they hurt or others just like them.

Marie N Pierre Thank God, my kids will never do that... I raised them too well. They need a better education and better parenting to help these kids! They have too much freedom. Please educate your kids! Raise them well so tomorrow they be a productive citizen... Please parents be responsible!!!

If these were your kids, what you do? Log on to Facebook and let us know.

Posted by
Filed under: Character education • Issues • Parents
  1. Barbara

I blame the parents. I *seriously* would have been afraid to think of acting like this. I'd have been afraid of facing the music if/when the parents found out.

June 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  2. jb

I cannot remember what it called but their is a mental disorder where the person cannot feel empathy for other people or see them as only an object. I think it is called a soicpath. I think they are little serial killers in the making unless they get help.

June 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  3. Ed

I gotta tell ya, I think it's funny that these kids are getting death threats and threats of a beating. But lets be fair, they didn't kill anyone so they should not be seriously harmed. Perhaps just a good beating by hooded men who tell them at the end to behave or they'll be back to do it all over again. Yea, that's the ticket! Already their addresses are being posted all over the internet. If I were them, I'd be worried and I'd be kneeling at the feet of this women they hurt so badly and begging forgiveness, ON YOUTUBE!

June 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  4. Darko

I believe the big problem with today's kids is that lack of discipline from parents. Reason being is that eveyone thinks that disciplining your children is harsh and wrong, but I believe it is right and just. It seems that kids these days have more rights then parents and teachers do. Just look back and you will see the differences between kids of today vs kids of yesterday.

June 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  5. Brit

These kids are a disgrace to society.
    These kids should NEVER be allowed to ride a school bus again, make the parents see that they get to school, maybe it will also teach the parent some parental responsibilities. The children should also be made to do some type of public service like attend a retirement home and talk to all the elderly living there, maybe it can teach them some sort of humanity, apparently the parents failed. Also they should be made to mow that ladies grass every week for a year, pick up any trash etc, etc. They need to be punished some way. Letting them off the hook teaches them absolutely nothing.

June 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  6. ken reick

Kids are all good, some parents are idiots. If you teach right from wrong and give your children unconditional love they grow into productive responsible adults. You can't legally drive without a license but any idiot can reproduce.

June 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  7. mary

I worked in the school system for over 25 years.. Finally quitting it a couple years ago.. In a big part because I was sick of nasty kids.. The stress of it.. Dealing with it..
    I felt very sorry for Karen the bus monitor..
    But she handled it wrong..
    What I found over the years is to Never let them see if effect you.. Firmly and with confidence and authority tell them exactly what they are going to get for their actions. She should have stepped to the front of the bus and had the driver stop.. And announce to the bus that "if " these "children" did not stop their harassment the bus would not continue on.. Or go back to the school.. Some other children would whine, complain and get angry at her, some at the kids..
    But forget the opposition.. Because the adult is in charge.
    Then bring the offenders to the front.. Write them a referral to their school principle.. And follow it up.. Never let it go..Make sure the school officials know exactly what was done.
    And let the kids know each and EVERY word they spoke that was offensive after would also be in the report..
    Then 'hope" the school follows through and the parents are the kind that care how thier children acted..
    If not.. It doesn't matter..
    Do your job.. Eventually kids "get it" .. Your not ever going to accept being treated that way..You will use every tool available to you.. EVen if it means calling the police..And making it a personal thing..
    I had to do that too.. I was threatened by a student and I told them.. He better "hope' the school deals with it, because if not.. The police would.

June 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • todd

Well put and would have been the correct action to take. Because of parents and elders not educated enough on how to properly raise children, it reflects through the child's actions. The sad fact is that anyone can have a baby whether they are fit to be a parent or not.

June 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  8. Huls

My kid is in Hale Chater Academy, woodland Hills CA. I showed this video. My kid said, "This is nothing ,everyday kids in my school does much worse than this". I don't know what to do. Iam just afraid they're going to harass my kid if I go forward. I blame the parents. Don't know how to raise their kids, spoil them with too much stuff. Very upset.

June 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  9. melisaroberts

I was horrified by what I witnessed in this video. My heart goes out to Ms. Klein. These boys should be held accountable for their actions: banned from taking the bus for this next school year, banned from all extracurricular activities, mark the incident on their permanent school records, made to do community service and take anti-bullying classes. At a minimum, their parents should be made to feel some of the punishment as well by having to drive their children to school and take parenting classes. Obviously, Ms. Klein is a woman of Grace...I hope she enjoys her vacation of a lifetime, given lovingly by those that stand with her in this situation.

June 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  10. Simm

These kids and their parents should be revoked of their citizenship and sent to Waziristan to live out the remainder of their lives. Then I bet they appreciate the value of being American, especially when it is taken away. This should be a message to everyone who wants to harm an innocent American. The moment you do that, you have pretty much sided with Al-Qaeda.

June 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  11. Bus Driver

Stop the bus. Call the police. File charges. Expel the students. Simple.

June 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
  12. felicerobinson

Medicate the child–voluntarily or by court order.

June 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Keith

Ask the parenting experts or read more parenting books.
      Or is that the problem?

June 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
      • David

If I had done such a thing at that age and my parents had found out about it I would have been taken behind the woodshed by my father. Sounds old fashioned but it worked.

June 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Erika

and apparently your kids must be on every possible medication to control them and have them drooling all day rather than you taking the opportunity to simply explain why something is wrong. We lead by example, we teach by example. We cannot ask children to do that which we ourselves do not do.

June 22, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Mary Carter

People in this country are over-medicated now. It is about time that parents start being parents and teach their children right from wrong. Respect, compassion and love. Children today have no respect for anyone or anything including themselves although they make themselves little gods. We lost all respect some years ago in our dress, our speech and are behavior towards others-especially the elderly. We have in effect, become highly uncivilized. I wish I could leave here but I am 74 and its too late.

June 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
      • Ed

There's a pack of idiots running around saying you can't make people respect you. Well you can certainly make people behave respectfully. Personally I could give a jack crap if kids I drive for don't like me. But they WILL treat me with respect and I will respond in kind or they will suffer the consequences . Sonny Barger says in his book, treat me well and I'll treat you better, treat me poorly and I'll treat you worse. Tell y'all one thing, kid touches me he'll end up with a broken arm. Parents don't like it, well, bring it on!

June 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  13. Jouee

To stop behavior: punish it
    To increase behavior: reward it
    To witness behavior: mount cameras (esp on buses)

June 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  14. Corky214

Ms. Klein has the right idea:

a) An apology in person and in writing from each child. The apology must include WHY they are are sorry.
    b) Thrown off the bus for a year
    c) Mandatory community service for the FAMILY, not just the child. Any good parent will see this as a way to bond teach the wayward bullying kid. Any poor or absent parent may benefit from simply having to show up and be accountable.

June 22, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  15. jr

I cant imagine what these kids must be living at home. I pity them for thee amount of abuse they themselves endured in order for them to even begin to think that it is ok to act this way. Many times verbal abuse can be the most hurtful and these kids had plenty of that at home, I'm quite sure of it. These kids don't have an appreciation of human life, much less respect for the dead. I would send them abroad where living conditions are not ideal, this would create an appreciation of his community around him; earn the respect of their peers and most importantly, an appreciation for the elderly. There are lots of non-profit organizations that could use young energetic boys to help around their site. They need to channel all that anger anger and turn it in compassion for others. The parents just plain need therapy.

June 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Santiago Draco

What makes you think the kids are dealing with some kind of horrible abuse at home to "cause them to do this??" Maybe it's just as likely the parents have no clue and this is a result of 1) media glorifying bullying and 2) peer pressure and 3) a result of inattentive parenting.

As a society we've allowed our media to get away with anything when it comes to viewership. Children watch things on tv that demonstrate no values and glorify power first.

If we don't look at ourselves and continue to point the finger elsewhere these problems will continue to grow as we as a culture grow in size.

June 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • JH

JR, your comment about them being abused at home is not just unfounded but also a "cop out" to some degree. Neither you nor I nor any of the readers here that do not know the inner workings of their families can make such an assumption. If they were subject to abuse, then yes, your comment holds some validity. If they do not have any such abuse, then your reasoning is both flawed and part of the problem of society. Regardless of their home life, they SHOULD be held accountable in a public way for their actions and face the appropriate consequences. I am not advocating for jail time or a public lynching, but the abuse they heaped on this woman was inexcusable and wrong. They need to be taught to respect others. If they can't learn that lesson, then they need to face the consequences.

June 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Rob

Oh, please. Why is everyone acting so shocked and surprised at how bad these kids acted? Crude nastiness and threats at this level are nothing new; its no worse then what I endured when I was in middle/high school 20 years ago. Bullies have just gotten so brazen that they post their criminal actions online. Also, assaulting or threatening a school employee is a felony in some states! And yet, it is only after so many school shootings and suicides and advocacy that bulling has *started* to be taken seriously. Still too many teachers, administrators, and other school officials simply ignore it– until lawsuits are threatened.

Make their parents ride the bus with them for the school year. Require a face-to-face (and an online video) apology by both parent and bully/perpetrator. Have police or a judge come in the school and explain the legal penalties that adults would face. Lengthy community service to help kids the same age(s) to learn compassion and empathy. I understand that one kid’s been getting over 1,000 texts and emails, including death threats, so now he has a clue at how it feels.

June 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  16. Don

Ban the kids from the public schools in the town (there are 4 school district) and let the parents find and pay for a p[private school– if they will have them. Certainly ban them from any school bus - again let the parents haul them to school

June 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Lisa Imondi-Clarkin

I'm a little confused about what this woman (bus monitor) should have done – just sit there? I am 70 years old and work in school as a Teacher Assistant. And, please I'm not judging her way of not reacting, and do not know the dynamics between the kids and this woman. Why didn't the bus drive stop the bus? Did they have a two-way radio on the bus? These kids need to learn respect before they get to jail! If not in the home, then where? The kids I work with know better then to disrespect me. I've thrown one middle school student out of the room but when he returned from the office, I gave him lots of positive reinforcement (in was an art class) mouthing off, banging the desk, anything to disrupt the class. After about two weeks, he learned to trust me and was almost a model student in that class. I am wondering why she didn't react while this was going on and why the driver did nothing either! This is my comment! I'm quit e happy that people are responding but I still have my questions. Thank you.

June 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
      • Tra

First lets address the issue at hand- which is the issue of bullying. The kids were in the wrong, and she was the victim. Now let me ask you all, how often do your kids act as they were taught, or do exactly as they were told.....very few are saints regardless of how they are made out to be by the parents. Now, given this- the children involved should be punished by their parents as they are just that- children. End of that issue.

Now, the next concern that this incident creates is, why on earth is this woman a bus monitor? Well it is likely that this was not her first day as the children seemed overly comfortable with belting her with rude comments. This is not the first time this has happened to her I am almost positive. It just happened to get videotaped this time. If this continued to occur and she said nothing, did nothing then this event came to its ugly head. A bus monitor's purpose is to serve as an additional sets of ears and eyes for the driver, and to ensure the safety of the children on board. This safety can entail many various possible scenarios at which she must be ready to deal with at any time. She was not ready and should have not been in that position. Some people, and Im not saying this woman in particular, but some people dont have the emotional strength to deal with this sort of thing. Maybe they have self- esteem issues, who knows. So what I am saying here is that while we all feel sadness for this woman and what she went through, the children cannot be totally blammed for the extent that it went to becuase they are children and must learn from there mistake, and there are factors in this that none of us will ever know. Just food for thought.

June 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  17. Omega

well my last post didnt post, so I got some info and sent the School District an email, I URGE EVERYONE TO PLEASE DO THE SAME, heres the info...my email first I will post and then I will post the link to them..

Heoo Lynne,
    Well by now I would think that you have gotten lots of feedback about the bullies that bullied the busdriver that has been in the news about these kids bullying the bus monitor. I am writing to your establishment because I (along with others that saw the segment) am furious what they did to this elderly lady just doing her job.
    According to your policy
    7370 Bullying/Cyber Bullying
    I expect your office to take action against these individual bullies.I am all for them to be EXPELLED . This cant be an isolated incident, this is just the first time they got caught.
    I think the kid that taped this incident should be COMMENDED because if it werent for him, NOBODY would have never known that this was going on in YOUR DISTRICT! There should be a ZERO tolerance for this kind of behavior especially on an elderly person just doing her job!
    I would like a reply on how this is going to be handled through the Board
    Respectfully yours,
    Omega

and the link is lynne.armstrong@greece.k12.ny.us
    you can go to BoardDocs section too http://web001.greece.k12.ny.us/policy.cfm

June 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
  18. cacdb83

Tthey should all be restricted from riding the bus. Let their parents haul their sorry butts to school everyday. And to the parents of these four little punk a$$e$: Your little angels aren't special or cute. They're just mean bullies. It will be interesting to see how these little thugs react to being bullied and hustled in juvenile detention in a few years. I used to be a teacher and left the profession because of the few terrible students who terrorize anyone in authority and the total lack of support from the school administration. What a sad, sad world we live in. I think we need to "deploy" a Marine on every school bus in this country.

June 22, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  19. Sarah

This lady had no business being a "bus monitor." I would expect the job responsibilities of a bus monitor would be to make sure the kids are behaving appropriately? Isn't that why she was sitting there riding the bus? She clearly was not up to the task and should not have been given the responsibility. If she can't defend herself, how is she supposed to defend other children on the bus? She should have grabbed the first snot nosed kid by the ear, told the bus driver to stop, and kicked the kid off. Literally. With some pointy steel-toed boots.

June 22, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Deb

Seriously? It's her fault? Nope. Completely 100% disagree with you trying to put the blame on her.

June 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  20. Bidyut

#1. Take them out of Society for some time (few years) until they are corrected and reintroduce int society. This may include:
    – Expell from School so other kids are safe.
    – Prosecute them (if needed as adult) for Harrasment, Threat and Verbal/Physical Assult to senior.
    – Probation for several years.
    – Parents should be fined/punished for not raising them properly.

#2. Reintroduce them back into society.

This will a good example for all kids/parents throught the world.

June 22, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  21. Sarah

Bullying may have been around for years, but not like this. Back when I was in school (and I'm only 30, so it wasn't that long ago), you didn't speak to the teacher or ANY authority figure the way these little rejects spoke to this woman. If someone did, there was trouble to be had both in the classroom AND at home. These days, parents are scared of their kids, and the kids know it. That wacky concept known as "respect" is a thing of the past now. Kids do whatever they want whenever they want, and the parents don't do a single thing about it. I think these kids should be made to do some serious hard labour, something that degrades them in the way that they degraded this woman. The parents should be made to publicly apologize, each and every one of them, for what their children did. There's absolutely no excuse for what these kids did, and there should be absolutely no excuses made for them despite their ages. Who cares if they are only in middle school? They know EXACTLY what they did, and they should be held accountable for it. How else are they going to learn?

June 22, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  22. Bill

Bill Cosby said it best....kid, I brought you into this world, and I can take you out !

June 22, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  23. Omega

If this were MY kids, I would publicly shame them, make them write a 500 page essay on how to treat people with respect (ESPECIALLY YOUR ELDERS) make them take anger management classes for the summer! Put their collective BUTTS on notice they will not only be busy ALL SUMMER LONG but as some of the reponses on here, MAKE THEM DO COMMUNITY SERVICE..You can bet that this IS NOT an ISOLATED CASE OF THESE BRATS DOING THIS, THEY JUST HAPPENED TO GET CAUGHT DOING IT!!! Some parents will claim kids will be kids, BUT THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and the sooner the parents learn this the better! I SAY EXPELL THEM, no questions asked!! Karens job was to monitor these bullies and she did her job and what she got in return was disgraced by the school itself! I hope the SUPERINTEDANTS OFFICE TAKES ACTION ON THIS HORRIBLE ACTS, There should be a zero TOLERANCE FOR BULLYING....iF ANYONE HAS THE SCHOOL systems administration info, please put this info on here, I for one will call and state my comments and how if nothing happens (and I strongly urge everyone here to make a complaint to the SUPERINTENDANCE OFFICE) or put the info on my reply section..This has got to stop! If no action is taken by the school, then we need to flood the state with the occurance that happened her. ALSO, I DID NOT CATCH THE CITY OR STATE THAT THIS HAPPENED IN SO IF ANYONE HAS THAT INFO, PLEASE POST !

June 22, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Paul

I complained straight to the superintendant of Greece City Schools myself the first time that I read this article. TOTALLY DISGUSTING!! If I had done something like this 35 years ago when I was their age, my parents would have made it hard for me to sit for a while and then some. Today, many parents don't have the same morals and it rubs off on their kids. What a shame!

June 22, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Kristina Foss

Unfortunately this is not an uncommon occurrence in our schools bu what do you expect when the kids face no consequences for this type of behavior all though their school years. They have set up alternative schools for kids who do not behave but it takes years of troubled behavior to get them in there and then it is more of a reward than a punishment as they get to start their day later and they get out an hour earlier they have no homework, they get to play video games, and if they cannot make it there they get to go to school 3 hours a day at the police station 4 days a week yeah we are punishing them for miss behavior. I say the system is fundamentally flawed if your kid cannot behave in school then they are out and you get to teach them and put up with their rudeness and disrespect...Teachers are there to teach not babysit and parent that is the parents job

June 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
  24. Ralph

OK. The grandmother has been appeased with money. But what about those young males? How can our society blast them without considering that THEY need help? And so do their parents.
    Beyond accountability for their actions, they need to know how to love and respect themselves. Only then can they show love and respect for others.
    Their apologies are futile attempts to gloss over the real issues. They may exist in this world for many years to come and without correcting them and teaching them love and respect, many others will suffer besides the current grandmother at issue.
    By the way, that grandmother's actions did not help those boys understand how to be peaceful contributors to the world. And though well-intended, doling out money to the "victim" does not and cannot solve the issue of bullying.
    Instead of pacifying the grandmother with money, how about raising funds for the benefit of the other victims, the boys themselves. Invest in brightening their future so they can make positive contributions to our society!

June 22, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • hopemac

How about giving each of them a good whipping on the butt. It would be cheaper and in the long run, what they really need. These kids didn't get cell phones because of being economically deprived. David McCullough Jr. had it correct in his graduation speech when he said, "You’ve been nudged, cajoled, wheedled and implored. You’ve been feted and fawned over and called sweetie pie." This group of kid has more than likely been privilege in many ways. Otherwise, where did they get the cell phones, internet services and computers to post and view their dastardly deeds. They have been given freedom of time and unsupervised access to the internet. With that freedom, however, has NOT come responsibility. Corporal punishment is quick, to the point, and cheap and it will be a lesson they remember well.

June 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  25. Jake Rockwel

I was tought to respect my elders. Its pretty clear that todays societey does not hold the same value system.. I blame the parents. So what would I do..
    The kids clearly need their asses kicked... As do their parents. But thats not legal or right.
    For the Kids-
    Make em an example-
    Suspension and community sevice – 1 year.
    Restriction from all social media- Phone, Internet, TV 1 year
    Grounded – 1 year No friends
    Parents-
    Heavy fines or heavy community service 1Year- They dont have to hold a criminal record but should be reminded that they are resposible for their childrens actions.

Bulling punishments need to be harsh-

June 22, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  26. Ed

What these kids did was terrible and should be punished, but they are kids and don't know better. They should all received suspension, do community service, perhaps clean Mrs. Kleins house and yard for a year so they learn their lesson. To arrest them is ridiculous. It was a stupid act by 4 kids who acted terribly as a group. As Mrs. Klein even said, they are ok when by themself...That's the way kids are. I've seen several posts on some media FB pages identifying the kids by name, showing pictures, links to fb pages, addresses of not only the parents but their co-workers...all this on one FB post. That is sick. What they did is WRONG, they should be punishted. but some people are really going over the top.

June 22, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Don

I wouldn't want those little monsters around my house. A little yard work is not punishment

June 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  27. Bugs

1. A trip to the principal's office.
    2. Detention.
    3. Banned from school activities for the following school year.
    4. Banned from the bus for the following school year (at least).
    5. Most important: Personal, face-to-face apologies to the bus monitor, from both them and their parents, conducted in front of the assembled students and faculty of their school, accompanied by letters of apology explaining why they know their behavior was wrong and promising never to bully anyone again.

Those are the lenient options. If none of them happens, naming and shaming will be appropriate.

June 22, 2012 at 10:28 am |
  28. Dave Bass

Every child involved in this bullying should have EVERYTHING they enjoy removed from their lives for at least 3 months.
    Physical punishment is pretty much illegal at this point but removing game consoles from the house and taking away
    cellphones/ipads/ipods is perfectly acceptable as well as no parties and no friends coming over for months. Nothing but schoolwork & chores...no clubs or sports sfter school either. In the room with their books & thoughts. Maybe each young person will think twice if ever tempted to bully an innocent person again. Just desserts 4 purposeful cruelty.

June 22, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  29. CJLAKE

The kid who shot the video should be praised and given some of the donation becuz if it wasn't for him, then nobody would've ever known that this went on and nobody would be feeling sorry across the U.S. & Canada for Karen's 10min bus ride plight without his doing.

June 22, 2012 at 10:19 am |
  30. Mark

If this was my kid it would be simple. I would tell them to write a letter of apology to Ms Klein. Then they would hand deliver it and read it to her. After that I would tell them you have 2 options: 1) You can do chorse around her house for 1 month. 2) You can be grounded for the whole summer. What is happening to today's generation of kids. Sickening....

June 22, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  31. Irene

This male-dominated world is out of control. Time to create a third gender!

June 22, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  32. profart

Why is it so hard to learn to treat others as you would want to be treated? Do these teens really want someone saying these things to THEM?

Unfortunately, most adults don't learn this lesson or follow it, so how can we expect kids to do so?

June 22, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  33. dude

All these teens know is about their rights and nothing about responsibilities. They have no respect for elders and think they can do whatever they want. They should all be sent out to mandatory military training where they can learn about morals, values and respect for society. The system needs to change and all adults need to take responsibility. If our teens are failing or misbehaving the blame lies on adults and not on the youngsters.

June 22, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • profart

They don't even know their rights- or they would know they do NOT have the right to threaten people.

June 22, 2012 at 9:57 am |
  34. Ana

If this kids were mine I will be so so ashamed!! I feel incredibly sorry for Karen, all my thoughts and best wishes go to her.
    I think in that case three very easy to implement things could be done.
    1) To punish these kids but also to educate them and teach them respect I would make them do some " harsh" community service such a cleaning locker rooms or bathrooms for a year during half of their free time.
    2) During the other half, I will have them volunteer in an elderly center so they can learn how valuable and amazing older people can be and maybe learn a bit of respect.
    3) I will offer a mandatory Preventing Bullying Day in every schools where children can be exposed and educated about the causes and consequences of bullying and learn how to protect themselves and how to react if they are the witnesses of a bullying situation.
    I think with these three measures you cover prevention, education and constructive punishment which make a good combo to fight against such behaviors

June 22, 2012 at 9:34 am |
  35. mike b

Expel them for the year and have the parents attend some sort of school on better parenting.Then beat the tar out of the kids.

June 22, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • steve

Yup. Beat 'em. That's such a clever position. Just think, that may very well be the same approach their dysfunctional parents have taken. And that seems to have worked great. Don't you think?

June 22, 2012 at 9:33 am |
    • donna cawvey

i wish more parents thought like you. i would do the same

June 22, 2012 at 10:08 am |
  36. Kelly

This was so shocking. I guess that is why 7th graders need a babysitter. These kids should not be allowed to ride the bus again. I am sorry if they are not held responsible they will never learn. I think walking would give them plenty of time every morning to review their actions. Mark my word, if nothing is done they will be in the news again and again, until they end up in jail.

June 22, 2012 at 9:05 am |
  37. Debi77

Scrub the gene pool

June 22, 2012 at 9:01 am |
    • Fred61

I like Debi77's response. My immediate thought as well. However, what we're seeing is the result of society pushing back on corporeal punishment. Remember the age old adage – spare the rod and spoil the child? Well, the brats are loose. Also, some electric shock therapy might be appropriate as well. That might be a way around society's politically correct wall against corporeal punishment. There is no appeal to a child's better nature. They only have one ingrated instinct and that is to survive. If you threaten that sole instinct (i.e. corporeal punishment), then you at last have their attention. I recall the "blanket party" concept being highly effective against errant Navy service personnel who did not wish to conform to rules and regulations and thus caused additional work and distress for our entire unit as we were always punished as a unit. Thus, the unit took care of its own internal problems by their own crude but effective method.

June 22, 2012 at 9:57 am |
  38. Anita

To deal with the kids, I think they should be banned from the bus for the following school year and be required to clean the interior of every bus that serves the Greece school district over the course of the year. This activity should be supervised by a strong male role model (ex-Marine maybe?).

The school district must take some of the blame for this though. The bus monitor is there expressly to guard the safety of the children from incidents such as this one as well as ensure the driver is not distracted by misbehavior. In order to fulfill that role, the monitor must be empowered to hand out disciplinary actions on the spot – – not merely report the behavior after the fact. The discipline could range from sitting in the front seat alone for the rest of the year to 2 hour detentions to Saturday school to suspension to banning the student from the bus. If the monitor was empowered, I seriously doubt this incident would have ever occurred. The monitor should be the authority figure on the bus. To be that figure, the person must actually have some authority! Otherwise, what is the point?

June 22, 2012 at 8:59 am |
  39. ken T

I would sit the parents down with the video, offending child and a social councilor for weekly one hour sessions on proper parenting and ethics. The parents ARE at fault and ARE the ones responsible here. It is their children who they have raised who behaved in such a deplorable manner.

June 22, 2012 at 8:36 am |
  40. Pam

Every one of those kids should be expelled. Their parents just might do something about it if they have to face a little inconvenience as a result of their children's actions.

June 22, 2012 at 8:22 am |
  41. JHL

I might sit down with the boys individually and ask them; Why did you do this? Why did you say those things? Clearly they haven't given this a thought, nor have they had the upbringing, and I am not blaming the parents, to be be responsible for themselves as individuals.
    There are consequences to every action...clearly they did not consider this.

June 22, 2012 at 7:47 am |
  42. Cindy

At the very least they should take responsibility and apologize IN PERSON, no letters of apology to the media (written by their parents) or parents apologizing. When we did something as children my parents stood behind us as we 'manned up' and apologized faced to faced.

June 22, 2012 at 7:47 am |
  43. Dan Arthur

Really do not know....I just know if kids ever, ever did that when I was growing up; they would be in very deep trouble....not only from the school; but also the parents. A period of suspension seems probable; and, forget those kids riding the school bus. They can use their feet and walk or have their parents provide transportation.

June 22, 2012 at 7:18 am |
  44. Terrie L Walker

I had a similar experience when I was once teaching Junior High kids who I witnessed make fun of and severely ridicule a little girl who had to take a taxi to school one morning with her grandmother at her side, because this little girl's mommy had just died and the father traveled for work and could not bring her to school and her grandmother could not drive. I saw several young girls bully and taunt this little girl as she walked into the school. I was apalled!! As it turned out these same bully girls were in my class later that day and so was this young girl. Instead of doing our regular lesson that day, I made mention of what I had witnessed, and directed the class as their lesson that day to write a few brief paragraphs of a time when they each may have been made fun of and or bullied or a time when they may have experienced a really sad time or loss in their life and how they would feel if their friends or others had made fun of them during that time....then I chose a few of those students that day a for a cpl of days to share their stories, then I also had those bully girls write an apology to that young girl and I had them read it to her in front of their classmates to her. After that, I had several of my students approach me for days saying how that had made such an impression on each of them, especially when they knew what took place and how classmates of theirs had made fun of someone who had just lost her mom and just because she had to ride in a taxi to school. By the way, this occurred back when I was teaching school back in 1984. Times have not changed that much and neither has bullying....unfortunately. Those kids who bullied that monitor should be made to make a public apology to that monitor infront of their own parents, as well as, their whole school of peers, and I like the idea of them taking turns mowing her lawn for the summer or doing odd jobs for her. Maybe they would get to know her and know what a nice human being she is and hopefully learn some respect for another human being. If this doesn't work, put them on the show 'Scared Straight' and take them into a prison system and let them be ridiculed and made fun of and taunted by a bunch of prison inmates who will make extrme suggestive remarks about their bodies and what they would like to do to all of them as young boys. That might work!!! Criticizing and or being criticized by others is one of my worst pet peeves and should be dealt with in our youth in a way that lets them know how unacceptable it is and how detrimental it can become. Thank you, Terrie

June 22, 2012 at 7:08 am |
  45. Keith

It galls me to say this, but after hearing about SW Airline's kind offer, she should invite her bullies to come on vacation with her. Then they would learn some respect.

June 22, 2012 at 6:20 am |
  46. Joanne

I think a good old fashioned ass whipping is deserved. Every case is different but I don't think that any parent actually raises their children to act like that, and I don't think parents should be the buffer zone for their kids punishment in all cases. I personally, probably would have been an offender of child abuse laws had either one of my boys done anything that cruel. I think the politically correct society we live in is a contributor to this behavior. I think if the world wasn't so worried about the offender, the victims would not be the victims as often as the are. I think all of the children involved should have to go to counseling ( but that may have some parents going to jail wouldn't It?) Oh well so much for my 2 cents.

June 22, 2012 at 5:34 am |
  47. Joe

Dears, I am very sad to see and hear such misbehavior in our society today...I am 63 years old and when we were kids a little spunk never killed any one because most of the parents want good to give to their kids....most of my friends grow up and became gentle people and good citizens. Today our society is too liberal and parents are afraid to make correction to their children because if they raise voice or try to give them a little spunk the kids themselves are taught to call the police.....they even make them rebel against their beloved parents...this is society of today and what one plant will harvest....!!!! In my time we use to have one or two bullies in a class of 30 kids....now-a-days 28 bullies in a class of 30 kids...I sorry to say this.....kids like this should be taken to a rehab where there are no bullies and taught how to love others by films or movies to change their behavior.
    Joe

June 22, 2012 at 5:08 am |
  48. Txcalgal

Both the kids AND their parents should be "punished". First, I believe this woman VOLUNTEERED for this job as bus "monitor" – it wasn't a paid position. Seems like I heard one of the parents dismissing their behavior as "a stupid error in judgement" or some such tosh!!! Parental boot camp, community service for parents and children, if they can't do a better job than this raising their children. You don't have to BEAT a child, but there have to be consequences and boundaries set for kids or they turn out just like this. My son destroyed some church property when he was 9 or so, not only did he get his butt whacked for trying to lie about it, but had to apologize to their pastor and pull weeds at the church for two Saturdays. He never again destroyed the property of others, that's for sure! THAT'S how kids learn that there are consequences for bad decisions – you don't just dismiss it. Riding the bus is a PRIVILEGE and these kids demonstrated that they haven't earned the privilege. I'd say ban then for the ENTIRE next year of school from riding – let mom and dad figure out how their little darlings are going to get to school and maybe THAT will get the elders to sit up and take care of business at home.

June 22, 2012 at 4:54 am |
  49. Joyce

Make the accusers approach Karen in public to appoligize to her on netural ground. Publicly doing this will show that the parents and the community are behind both sides to resolve this. Let the parents deal with the children, this is there job not the police or public outcry.

June 22, 2012 at 4:51 am |
    • RENEE

GOOD TRY JOYCE BUT THE PARENTS DID NOT DO THEIR JOBS. SO LEAVING IT UP TO THEM IS NOT GOING TO WORK.
      IF YOU ARE SO AGAINST PUBLIC OUTCRY THEN WHY ARE YOU POSTING YOUR PUBLIC OPINION.

June 22, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  50. So many gullible people here

Anybody who was truly qualified to act as a bus monitor could have defused that situation extremely easily within 10-30 seconds.
    But this 68-year-old woman played to the camera that she knew was recording the whole thing.
    Her job was to be the opposite of a weak sobbing old woman!
    And she knew the camera was there!

NOW look at the video with a skeptical eye and you'll see a fraud manipulating people.

June 22, 2012 at 4:47 am |
    • CRNJ

You must be one of the parents!

June 22, 2012 at 6:34 am |
    • Joe

Obvious troll is obvious.

June 22, 2012 at 6:48 am |
    • theviper311

you blame the victim. easy to do. how about this. change the bully's school within the district. no more bus rides. they either walk or are delivered to school by their parents (and only their parents). if the behavior continues, expulsion. further problems to be handled by a state officer with home detention. after that, it is in the hands of the court. nobody should go to work or school fearful of life and limb.

June 22, 2012 at 7:34 am |
    • bob cottrell

you are obviously looking for attention saying something as dumb as that. she is a human being and should be treated like one. you are worse than the kids with this post! you just don't get how children have changed. these were mean spirited young brats that will turn out to be the same as adults. and most likely, just like their parents.

this story makes me sick and you pathetic post makes me sick. you should be ashamed! but you probably do not know better and are the same type bully these kids are. you would sit there and laugh like the kiddies!

June 22, 2012 at 8:06 am |
    • RENEE

YOU ARE A SAD PERSON YOU SOUND LIKE A BULLY YOURSELF DO YOU KNOW THIS WOMAN PERSONALLY MAYBE SHE HAS A TIMID PERSONALITY AND MAYBE YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN BULLIED I WAS BULLIED SEVERAL TIMES AS A KID I'D LIKE TO SEE HOW THOSE CREEPS TURNDED OUT I'D ALSO LIKE TO SEE THEM TRY IT NOW I AM NOT THE TIMID SCARED LITTLE GIRL I WAS BACK THEN I PITY YOUR SKEPTISM

June 22, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • Bugs

Not a fraud manipulating the camera – an old woman who was afraid of the camera. Her reactions were being recorded. If she had reacted the wrong way, she could have lost her job and become a viral laughing stock rather than a subject of compassion. She was taken by surprise. She felt trapped. She didn't know what the hell to do. Give her a break.

June 22, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  51. mireille taar

Children even in middle school, are largely dependent on parents' upbringing. Good upbringing depends on nurturing our children – look at the animal kingom, look at ancient cultures, nurturing our children depends on bonding, loving, it takes time to do this. Too much focus on the economy in our nation, we're spreading the madness to the world, it's truly no surprise. It's just simple and common sense. Are we authentic, are we sincere, are we honest enough to recognize the simple fact?

June 22, 2012 at 4:38 am |
  52. Night Owl

This behavior didn't just happen one day. The parents and the adults in the school system have to have been looking the other way for quite a while. I realize the schools are no longer allowed to discipline children, but they should be handing out suspensions or expelling bullies and making the parents deal with their "little darlings". I do know if my child treated anyone like these kids treated Ms. Klein, they'd get a lesson they'd never forget. Children need to learn the meaning of respect.

June 22, 2012 at 4:28 am |
  53. susan

Should be made to do social serice work in a nursing home for the next year

June 22, 2012 at 4:22 am |
    • 54StaryNights

That sounds like a good idea except wouldn't putting these nasty brats to work in an elder-care facility be just like taking a vicious dog to a dog park to be socialized? A probable result would be that they will continue to behave obnoxiously to the elderly in that facility. These brats and their parents need to be sentenced to longterm weekly counseling/therapy with a licensed psychologist prior to being allowed back in school, on the bus and before performing mandatory community service.

June 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
  54. kathleenrobinson425

They should NEVER ride the school bus again; they should spend a year in Juvenile Jail (yes, they still have them), do required community service, and attend counseling. Their parents should pay a fine, also do community service, and go to counseling. This woman is a saint for not pressing charges; I would.

June 22, 2012 at 4:12 am |
  55. BusyRat

"Klein said she's not pushing for criminal charges"

It's the 'turn the other cheek' mentality that caused this to happen in the first place. It doesn't work. Bullies need to be punished.

June 22, 2012 at 4:03 am |
  56. Ann

Bullies should get a good old fashioned shunning ! Not allowed with anyone but other bullies. And STOP ignoring them.They want attention, give it to them ! All the picking on they CAN'T handle ! They can go to a detention center daily for school . Check it out . And if you are not aware that you have a mean kid- take a good look in the mirror, chances are they won't recognize that face either ! And while I want to go on for hours I will mention that their teachers KNOW who they are and do not stop it either. ZERO TOLERANCE !!! Bullies ARE weapons of destruction . No different then a gun . How many kids die , and adults for that matter, because of bullies ! By the way, there is no age limit to this frame of mind . Tragic .

June 22, 2012 at 3:24 am |
  57. Ed - California

Not sure if any adults were on the bus but it's a shame that nobody stood up for her; I would have stopped those little jerks in their tracks. When I was younger, my older pre-teen sister was made fun of and harassed by a neighborhood boy and his friends on different occasions so several times my two oldest brothers tracked and held them down so I and my other brother, at the ages of 4 and 5,could punch them to teach them not to harass my sister. In one case the bully enjoyed this fate in front of about 30 other kids and a few adults at our Elementary school Gymnasium. He and his friends stopped. The boy was a neighbor 2 houses away. Our families went to school and church together and there weren't any other issues with his two older brothers because they knew his actions were wrong.

June 22, 2012 at 3:09 am |
    • Mary Ellen

"Not sure if there were any adults on the bus"?!!! Karen Klein is an adult. Would she have been so passive if the children were talking to other children this way? She is the bus monitor; volunteer or not, adults are supposed to stand up to bullies.

June 22, 2012 at 9:16 am |
      • MattN

Mary Ellen – you must not have kids if you believe that Karen Klein should have said something more to these disrespectful little brats. I'm sure that if it was an altercation amongst kids she would have stepped in. But she did the right thing by not paying them much attention. Had she "fought back" you better believe that their obviously obnoxious parents would have accused her of not treating their "little angels" properly. Most parents don't believe their children are capable of being this cruel, and the ones that know their kids may act like this would never admit it, unless their caught.... which is what's happened here. These kids & kids like them, are a menace to society and I'm sure their parents are no less.

June 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  58. SJCA

I would sentenced all those kids to 1 year community service hours as volunteers in the senior citizen homes to help the elderly.

June 22, 2012 at 3:04 am |
  59. G-Money

They have already been punished by being in the state of mind that is so cruel. These kids Souls are empty. You can punish someone who feels nothing.

June 22, 2012 at 2:33 am |
    • G-Money

I think you meant you CAN'T punish someone who feels nothing..... very well said...

June 22, 2012 at 2:36 am |
    • purita fleschhut

Whack their mouths till they bleed. This is the only kind of punishment these bully kids know. I'm angry. These kids grow up without discipline at all. Back in my country (Philippines) while growing up, telling a lie is like a capital punishment. We got a whack of a leather belt in the po each time we're caught lying. Most importantly, love of God and respect for elders are integral parts of a child's upbringing.

June 22, 2012 at 4:02 am |
  60. Truth Justice & the American Way

I would whip them with a leather belt like my dad did to me when I got out of line. It is a darn good thing he did too.
    They threatened her with a knife verbally. That is the same as physically. THey must be held accountable. Their punishment should be extreme. An example MUST be made out of these future career criminals.

June 22, 2012 at 2:20 am |
  61. Wes Scott

I think public lashing would be an effective way to deal with people like this. Sentence them to 5 REAL lashes on National TV and this kind of thing wouild come to a SCREECHING halt. Starship Troopers like and all.

June 22, 2012 at 2:18 am |
  62. Isobella

Karen K. had every right to cry – a normal reaction for a 68 year old woman who was in shock after a brutal verbal attack from children. Hats off to the little girl who taped it and all people who gave $$ to Karen's "vacation" fund. Here's a tip to the monsters' parents – donate all the monsters' "toys/gadgets", don't replace, and contribute $$ to Karen's fund. And, ship 'those little sweethearts off to a 3rd world country for a month or two - oops! no one would take them.

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 am |
  63. Sonyam

The girl you just called fat?.. She is overdosing on diet pills. The girl you called ugly?... She spends hours putting makeup on hoping people will like her. The boy you just tripped?.. He is abused at home enough. The girl you just called emo?... Has clinical depression, and has to take pills to prevent her from killing herself. See that man with the ugly scars?.. He fought for his country. That guy you just made fun of for crying?... His mother is dying. Put this as your status if you're against bullying. Me and a couple friends will make a video concerning this video and we will post the link, Thank you and God bless
    I may only be 15 but I have respect, for all, not only elders. thank you.. please children dont be a hinder in our generation

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 am |
  64. Flamespeak

I would take my son to her home and let her and her family decide what to do with him. Personally, I would want to punish him, but at that age it is time to learn that punishment can come from any source instead of just parents. If they wanted to ring his bells a few times I would let them. Seems rough to a lot of folks, but these kids obviously have no idea of the concept of accountability for their actions and words and sometimes a painful lesson is a far better teacher than a stern one.

June 22, 2012 at 2:09 am |
  65. lynlam

This is just so wrong. These kids better be glad they are not mine. They would not see a computer, cell phone, or anything electronic for as long as they live in my house. I feel so bad for this woman. No one deserves to be treated like this.

June 22, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • Mad Sam

These criminals will forever be the same. They are the reason that America is decaying from within and that there is evil and cruelty in the world.

I suggest putting them through the horrors of true justice and making them into a public example for all to see. Until society fights the evil within, we will continue to be tormented by the enemies of what is right.

The victims of these "mean" kids are – time and time again – scarred for life. We need to protect the populace by punishing the perpetrators in an equally or even more severe manner.

Forget indoor suspensions and whippings.

Forget holding up a humiliating sign and cleaning the cafeteria. Those punishments do not work.

To me, a dungeon or execution chamber sounds more appropriate.

June 22, 2012 at 2:10 am |
  66. Chris

If it was my choice, these kids would all be disciplined severely. First they should be forced to write an essay of no less than 10 pages of why they Children should respect there elders, then they should all be required to do a mandatory clean up of the school grounds when all the other kids can see them doing it as a lesson in humility and then they should be required to stand up a school assembly of the students senior and junior and tell the class what they did wrong and how they have learned to not do it again.

June 22, 2012 at 1:31 am |
    • BusyRat

That doesn't sound like a very severe punishment.

June 22, 2012 at 4:04 am |
  67. Mad Sam

Take the bullies/criminals/destructive elements of society, torture them, and then give them a nice trip into eternity with a .45.

Gene pool cleansed = problem solved.

June 22, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • Mad Sam

The s c u m of society (such as these bullies) need to be eradicated for peace and justice to prevail.

June 22, 2012 at 1:37 am |
  68. BenM

These kids simply brought the meaning of @sshole to a whole new level, I hope they get some serious punishment and a permanent record for being so rude to a senior!

June 22, 2012 at 1:19 am |
  69. Matt

Josh: you're clearly dont't have a clue about raising kids or have any real understanding of respect.
    These kids are nothing less than criminals and should have to spend a few days in jail along with a criminal record to last their lifetime without hope of it being expunged. They should not be allowed to ride the bus for a year and their parents should have to deal with transportation. I also agree with the community service for both the taunters & their parents. These parents should be disgusted with themselves & their vulgar offspring. I seriously hope that the school & police force in Greece, NY take this seriously. These are not "poor little kids" they're bullies and they have likely done this before & will do it again if not stopped. I agree with the comments that the parents, town, and school should all be sued.... I agree that if it hits all those pocketbooks maybe they will help prevent any future incidents.

June 22, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  70. Nathan Kavanaugh

No need to be "abusive," but if my child acted anything remotely close to what these punks did, my child would receive a good whipping, and he would deserve it. In the case of these awful children in NY state, I think the question must be asked whether parents should be held accountable in some manner, since we all know the kids will probably be "punished" with counseling or community service. Good grief.

June 22, 2012 at 12:43 am |
  71. Miss Jai

My heart goes out to Ms. Klein. It was very hard to watch the video and I only saw the parts that were shown on the news. This is deplorable behavior and the parents should be embarrassed. Each of these teens has a grandmother somewhere so how would they feel if someone treated their grandmother like that. One thing about it, there is such a thing as karma in this world and when it comes back around to these bullies, I bet they won't be laughing then. They should not be allowed to ride the bus for the next school year and make their parents figure out how to get them to and from school.

June 21, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
  72. Don Joyner

I would have done to them exactly what my Dad would have done to me layed the belt to them so they couldn't sit down for two or three days or so. This don't you touch my little Johnnie crap has to end as all bleeding hearts n eed to be put down. Age and womanhood are to be honored at all times and damn the yellow pukes to hell for doing her that way.

June 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  73. Mark

I think it's pretty clear that most people think both the bullies and their parents ought to be punished to some extent and required to participate in some therapeutic training programs, but the school should also be held accountable for failing to do enough to prevent things like this from happening on their watch. I think victims of bullying ought to sue both their bullies and their schools for damages. Once there's a financial consequence for having kids bullied in your school, you can bet educators will start doing all they can to prevent it from happening. This is already happening in New York, and I truly hope the case both succeeds and inspires others to do the same.

June 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  74. debby

i would have done what my grandma would have done. i would have pulled the heathens off the bus and took a switch to them! that is what is wrong today. to many useless punks that have no respect for their elders. just consume (your taxes) and breed more of the same.

June 21, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
  75. Katelyn Lord

Josh – think I have seen your exact same post elsewhere, so this is just your way of getting attention, but you did a great job of exemplifying the confusion between normal childhood mistakes, (kids will be kids means forgetting to hang up your coat, do your chores, maybe staying out too late, the stuff that makes parents crazy but kids tend to outgrow)and serious character malformation. Shifting the blame to Karen is indicative of a poorly developed understanding of individual responsibility. The actions of those children, the level of threats of violence (you should find and listen to the whole vid) should prompt a coordinated intervention. The fact that the school board is investigating both the driver and Karen, while scolding the public for the outrage exhibited is a bit distressing – one would hope that they would focus their public comments on the resources they are going to bring to bear to correct this behavior before it becomes an entrenched part of those children's social interactions. If as Josh throws out, someone is thinking that they will do this to get attention, I'd say their desire for death threats, having their Facebook pages shut down, and generally becoming a target to other unbalanced individuals should warrent their need for serious attention as well – and would at least alert their community to their problems.

June 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
  76. Rollie Schragis

Why the outrage now? This isn't isolated behavior. It is fairly typical of American youth. I see and hear it all the time, from Los Angeles to Boston. Don't worry about what the school needs to do it Greece, New York. The odds are that the same behaviors are in YOUR town, too. Start there..............

June 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
  77. Peter Bleau

The kids are wrong. They deserve to be punished. They need a value system reversal. However, the real culprit in this scenario is the person who put an elderly lady in an authorian role on that bus. If the kids on the bus were well behaved, there would be no need for supervision other than the bus driver. The mere fact that additional supervision was required indicated potential disciplinary problems. It would be great if the involved kids would respect any adult authority, but that is wishful thinking. My sympathy goes out to Ms. Klein, but she should never have been put in that position. What was needed was a person who radiated authority standing up in the back of the bus, perhaps with a bull horn, alert to any and all potential problems. Who in his or her right minds would put a sixty-eight-year old lady in such a position! Have you no knowledge of how middle school bullies opperate? Shame on you.

June 21, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • 54StaryNights

@Peter Bleau– you are so right. Also, I'm starting to think there should be cameras on all school buses and a sign that informs students that if they engage in unacceptable behavior, one written warning will be sent to their parents and that if they misbehave again, they will be banned from the school bus for 6 school months. That way the parents will be stuck dealing with the little brats if they do not address the problem.

June 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
      • Don

what you suggest is being done in some districts around the country– good idea

June 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  78. Mikenzi

Those kids need to be publicly humiliated just like Karen was. They need to stand in front of Times Square for a day with a sign around their necks written, "I bullied Karen Klein". A piece of paper with a simple "I'm sorry" just does not cut it! My heart goes out to you Karen. I'm glad that boy was dumb enough to record him and his friends making fools of themselves. Let justice prevail, it's payback time!

June 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  79. Tom in San Diego

When I was a boy, circa 1968, the LA county Juvenile System sent these kids to JUVEY....David Gonzales Boys camp comes to mind...http://www.laalmanac.com/crime/cr39.htm

I think everyone of these kids should spend 5 years in a camp or until they paid this lady cash money for her pain and suffering...

Its a shame no one is insisting these kids go to jail for assault and abuse...

June 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  80. aaron

yeahhhhhhh........... America .... yeah......... American stupic kids and bad bad bad bad bad bad kids . it's U.S.A ????????

June 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  81. Risskia

I showed the "clean" part of this video to my son – he's 7. I asked him what he thought. His response: I would tell them to stop, and if they wouldn't stop, I'd tell her to come sit with me, because I'm not mean, like them.

It isn't hard to rear a kind child – one simply has to give them the ability to imagine what the other person is feeling. It's called empathy, and it's not an advanced skill.

June 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
  82. NS

If my kid even did 0.1 % of what these trashy kids did, I'd teach them a lesson so severe that they'd never forget it. Shame on these excuses of human beings that gave birth to such children. If these parents had any sense of shame or decency they'd go hide themselves somewhere & never show their faces to society again!

June 21, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  83. tippy

wonder what other vicious incidents this pack of monsters has caused...they certainly weren't afraid of getting caught and have obviously had a pack mentality for quite a while.

June 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  84. 54StaryNights

These vicious children should be suspended from school for one semester and the children and their parents should be required to attend a once weekly counseling/therapy session with a licensed psychologist for the duration of the semester long suspension. The children should not be allowed to return to school if they or their parents miss any of the counseling/therapy sessions until the missed session(s) are made up. This would show both the parents and the children that their are consequences for the child's bad behavior and both might gain some insight into why this behavior is wrong. The children might learn something about compassion and good behavior, and the parents might learn how to raise moral, compassionate, and well behaved children.

June 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
    • 54StaryNights

Oops–typo alert: my post should read ". . . there are consequences . . . ." instead of " . . . their are consequences . . . ."

June 21, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Damien

Yep.

June 21, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
  85. slovr

Blah blah, kids these days, blah blah, something must be done, blah blah, my parents wouldn't have put up with this kind of bullying etc etc. Of course this is quite obscene and really nobody should be subjected to such abuse but I can't help but think that this has provided people with an excuse to get on their moral high horse and pretend that bullying somehow was more restrained in the past. It wasn't. In my school when we were 8 or 9 guys in my class used to subject our teacher to the most horrific type of abuse rivaling that on the tape. As Mrs Klein observed "one on one" these kids aren't so bad but in groups they all become monsters. The same phenomenon occurred in my class. Once one kid told her, out loud, to f**k off, it sparked off a year of continuous abuse. We would like to think we are superior or separate to the kids on these tapes but the scary truth is that there are so many sheep willing to be led and participate in such horrible events, even those who have been well raised, because in every generation there are always a couple of jerks. I'm very glad that Mrs Klein should now be able to enjoy retirement and that people have shown themselves to be so generous but let's not kid ourselves that all it requires to solve this problem are a couple of character building exercises.

June 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Night Owl

How old are you? I can tell you when I was in school there was no disrespect allowed at school or on the bus. If one mouthed off at either punishment at home was swift and severe. That is on top of suspension or expulsion from school. Adults in the school system were allowed to discipline children, something which is not allowed now, and parents taught their children to respect adults. These children are animals whose parents have abdicated their responsibility to raise proper citizens. If you consider this behavior normal I feel sorry for you – and hope I never have to associate with you.

June 22, 2012 at 4:19 am |
  86. Josh

I would ignore it. Kids will be kids. If you give them this much attention when they misbehave, they will only utilize this new found fame to their advantage.
    My advice is simple: forget about it, and move on. The children's parents will deal with it.
    The 68 year old woman gave in to the bullying and cried, she needs some serious counseling because at 68, you should have a fairly thick skin when it comes to name calling brats, especially if you are a bus monitor.
    When I went to school it was when the bullying got physical that the kids were punished. "Verbal assault" is bad, but if these kids get book deals, and media attention from all this, they will have learned that America is a cesspool of reactionary idiots, and all they will do is exploit that system from then on. Why are we siding with a 68 year old woman who allows school kids to bully her, when these kids really just need a cause. They have energy and enthusiasm, and are quick to push YOUR buttons. They are perfect for the current political arena.
    1. Give these kids a cause, something to get all that negative energy behind.
    2. Make it productive, use these kids to further a good cause.
    3. Stop pandering to people who took jobs that they were not prepared to deal with. There are so many unemployed people these days, give someone else a shot.
    4. STOP BEING SO DAMN REACTIONARY! This is how wars start: a small group does something bad to a country's symbol/monument/building and the people demand trillions of dollars and many lives be sacrificed for the damage, and it doesn't matter who, or where, just point and shoot.

June 21, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • 54StaryNights

At least one child is guilty of physically assaulting the woman. The child can be seen touching or possibly pinching the woman. That child should be charged with assault and should be sentenced to attend psychiatric therapy along with his/her parents followed by community service by both the parents and the child.

June 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Calypso

To Josh: You ARE AN IDIOT. You either have brat kids of your own and are trying to rationalize your poor parenting skills or you have no kids at all, and therefore, have no clue of what your are talking about. Yeah, lets also ignore racism, rape, etc..it will all go away, right?! Get off your not-so-high horse and don't lecture the rest of us who actually have a grasp on reality. Such an idiot.

June 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • GrownAssMAn

June 21, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
    • GrownAssMAn

Josh: You are a sick little man. You need to be disciplined in a very painful and protracted way. STFU NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • lkw

you are seriously messed up in the head. thses putrid little clucks need to be put in the main jail with the big boys so they can be the "new fish" if they are so interested in rape.

June 22, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • Omega

obvious parent that has the blinders on...TAKE THEM OFF PLEASE! these kids are criminals that DONT CARE!

June 22, 2012 at 11:36 am |
      • Omega

my above post was suppose to be under this Josh character reply, I TOTTALY AGREE WITH GROWNASSMAN!!

June 22, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Don

I agree with the other reply's - you're sick

June 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • mary

I agree to what you said ,,Excpet to let the verbal assault slide..
      NO to that ..NO we should not only intervene when kids physically assault each other..
      You are right kids are smart.. And smart enough to know how to treat others with decency and respect...
      So this deserves some stiff disciplinary action.

June 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  87. Jenn

Wow! I agree with Shauni. Shame on these kids and shame on their parents. This is a shameless act of disrespect.
    Respect is something that is/should be taught at home. My children 10 and 9 know if this was their behavior, they would be facing consequences. An apology is a MUST and I would press charges against the children and the parents. Sadly, I expect to hear excuses – I'm sure there will be some reason the bus monitor is at fault. TROUBLING. VERY TROUBLING.

June 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
  88. elwandabennett

I want to start a 12 week summer camp next year that is specifically dedicated to Character Building. I am designing a character building camp for kids that will introduce and model the appropriate behavior which will be reinforced at home. Each parent will sign a contract with their children at our center and learn about these traits. They are as follows: The camp would focus on helping children develop life skills that promote good character traits. Initiative, Leadership, Empathy, Sharing, Honesty, Obedience, Trustworthiness, Respect, Integrity, Communication and Excellence. You can tell that this is desperately needed.

June 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  89. Shauni Turnmeyer

This is not even right. Nobody should be treated this way. My daughter will not be raised this way. If I found out that my child treated someone in this manner, she would be severely punished. I would ask the woman to press charges on my child and I would blame myself for not raising them properly. She was trying to take care of those children, how dare they!

June 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
  90. Jennifer

This can be turned into a teaching moment for everyone. The kids, the parents, every kid in that school and the community. I think the kids should be required to write letters of apology, and an essay on why kindness and thoughtfulness is important in society. And they should have to stand up on a stage with a mic in front of the entire school, their parents, and Ms Klein front and center, reading these letters of apology and essays about compassion. Then they should be required to do school projects to help the homeless, community service helping with Habitat Humanity and other organizations that help both the elderly and less fortunate. These are the only conditions under which the kids would be able to reverse expulsion from the school district.

June 21, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  91. Jonn Zapp

My advice would be for the school to make available counselers to gather info. about that particular group of boy's. I remember most fights I had in middle school were protecting weaker kids from the same 3-4 groups of bullies, this incident just happened to be recorded & happened to a "older victim" of the same few kids that can make lfe miserable for some kids in K-12. & this will not change as long as only 1-2 kids speak out. Everyone knows who these kids are in every school & they need their behavior changed as soon as it becomes apparent,in everyone's best intrest

June 21, 2012 at 6:44 pm |